Demand for Council tax on empty property that’s being refurbished

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone 

Just want to check what my mum has to do here. She’s currently refurbishing her late mothers house that she inherited last year. 

No one is living there and refurbishment isn’t finished on the property. 

My mum told the council that the house is empty and unfurnished. 

Any help much appreciated

Thanks 

Andrew

We live in a world where seeing is not believing, where only a few know what really happened.

NatWest Problem *****Refunded*****

In the case of a property that is undergoing refurbishment works that means that it is uninhabitable; a property benefits from an exemption from council tax liability of up to 12 months. After this time the 50% empty property discount will apply. Most councils will need evidence that the property is uninhabitable.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andrew

So how do I go about this because my mum stupidly made a payment thinking she had to pay this last month. 

She was the executor of her mother's will and didn’t pay any council tax from when her mum past Nov 2020 to August this year  when she got the demand and only decided to tell me she paid today. 

She was only put on the land registry in July this year so only became the owner of the property then. 

So does it mean she has until July next year or when refurbishment finishes whichever comes first to pay nothing then a 50% discount until someone moves in? 

Thanks 

Andrew

We live in a world where seeing is not believing, where only a few know what really happened.

What date of last year did the property pass to your Mum ? Exemptions vary by council and I note that a discount has been applied for £25.94.

I do know that St Helens only allow 3 months as I have had personal experience of this.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

My gran passed in Nov 2020 and the property and probate only finished in July 2021 so my mum only got the property in her name July 2021 this year 

ONLINEFORMS.STHELENS.GOV.UK

Every council is different on what happens when a exemption ends.

The problem with a Class C exemption - now a Class C discount - is that it requires two conditions to be met but both of these can be met during the period of another exemption, such as the Class F. It effectively times out alongside the longer running Class F . It depends on what the council offer whether or not the Class C still offers any reduction after the Class F ends.