Domestic Violence now left with Major debt - all in my own name

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 491 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

doorstep collectors (as with any DCA) are powerless and not bailiffs

no DCA has any legal powers on ANY debt no matter what its type.

pop along to the 

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/124-debt-management-and-debt-self-help/

start a new thread

and list all your debts please.

for each one:

original creditor

type of credit

when taken out

how much is outstanding

defaulted date from credit file

who owns the debt now if a dca

last payment date and to whom

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to my site team colleague's advice above, if you get any further visits from any body on the doorstep, be very calm but have a notebook next to the door and asked them immediately for their name, who they're working for an sight of any ID. Take the number of the ID.

Try and take a photograph of them – and tell them that they are not to visit again and if they do then the matter will be reported to the FCA.

If you get any visits from these people then come back here and tell us all about it including identifying the person and the organisation involved.

'they' cannot do ANYTHING of the sort!

wherever did you get that idea from...

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

i dont know - i think ive watched too many of those programmes 

Hi All 

I am posting here as I have two major life issues on the go at the same time.

so i have £52k of unsecured debt.  i own my own home - help to buy mortgage and have recently been advised by a one of the adverts to go into an iva to protect my house 

But i understand that i dont have to do that?

i need to sort out the following info

original creditor

type of credit

when taken out

how much is outstanding

defaulted date from credit file

who owns the debt now if a dca

last payment date and to whom

• Sad 1

An advert advised you to take out an IVA???

You're right NOT to take an IVA out.

As you have already stated, what is the debt, who owns it, rough figures, and when did you take it out and last pay towards it.

Have you informed any of your creditors that you are in financial difficulty?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

scammers united.

they take 99% of your £PCM for fees every month and then fwd maybe £5-£10 to each creditor.

then when the xx (5?) yrs is almost done they come up with some BS story to make you extend it.

don't ever do an IVA esp if 99% of debts are consumer credit.

get your list up please

dx

and they

What are the debts please?

Who owns them?

How much are they?

Who is chasing you for them?

Have you informed your creditors you are in financial difficulty?

Who is your mortgage with and are they aware of your change in circumstances?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Your mortgage is your priority, you must keep a roof over your head, this is why we need to see what the debts are and whether they are priority debts or not.

You MAY be able to take a payment holiday with the mortgage, to give you a bit of breathing space.

Get everything in a list,

Name, Amount, Due, last paid, 

Nothing is insurmountable, it can all be dealt with very easily, years ago I had circa 60k of debt when I was made redundant so I understand the sleepless nights and foreboding.

• 3 months later...

Hi All 

Please can i have some help. 

So, I am 6 months out of a domestic violence relationship, including financial abuse (and physical & sexual).  i am thousands in debt thanks to him (over £55k), its taken me months to even start to look at it.  My first hurdle, is that my council tax now has a liability order.  Bristow and Sutor are asking me to complete a 'details' form, address, dependants, age, employment details, salary etc. 

can someone tell me what information i need to give them?  I owe £400 from last year and £750 from this year so far.  

i am not sure what the heck i am doing. 

i suffer severe anxiety and depression, not to mention PTSD and am afraid of my own shadow.  Before I fill in any forms, i need some help and advice please. 

there is more to come with my other creditors.

to top it off, my ex partner (who I threw out, has had a variety of debt collection letters and CCJ's come to my house, he hasn't changed his address (i dont know where he is) and its causing me sleepless nights.  I just cannot cope with anymore, no amount of returning these letters works, they just keep comming) 

I have flagged this up to my site team colleague @dx100uk who I am certain will be keen to get his teeth stuck into the debts.

I think you will have to start off by giving us the details of all the various debts – creditors et cetera.

I understand that the council tax is your first hurdle. I expect that my site team colleague will ask you for details about this as well.

What assets do you have?

Well done on come out on this and reaching out to us. You been here long enough that you know that we will be extremely supportive and do our best to help you.

Have the police had been involved at all?

Have you been in contact with any abuse agencies? I think that you may find that their help and advice will be very useful – not only in terms of being supportive emotionally but also being supportive in terms of corroborating any letters that you may have to write to any of these creditors in order to try and deal with situation.
Have you told the local council about your situation? Which local council is it? I would have expected local councils who understand what is going on to be pretty sympathetic in their handling of these matters.

All the debts in your name alone? Or are they held jointly?

I certainly think that you should be writing to the credit reference agencies and dissociating yourself from your ex-partner's name at that address.

What are you doing with all the correspondence that you are receiving which address to your ex-partner?

the Police were involved yes, he was arrested (but not charged) for ABH - and in the usual victim mentality i didnt make a statement, however, I can go back to that (or so i am told).  The last time he assaulted me I ended up in A&E in Oct 2020 and ended up requiring surgery in March 2021, this is on my medical file, there are photos etc of the assaults previously, and as you know from before my children witnessed far more than they should have.  

Shropshire Domestic Aid have now allocated me a case worker, and yes I have advised the Council, its been very difficult as I feel very uneasy and anxious about it all.  

my ex was very clever, and the debt was all in my name.  he used my credit cards to pay for his car finance etc, i told him I couldnt afford it and that all he was doing was transferring the debt to me, he promised to repay it, but he never did. he did the same to his previous wife, and left he with a lot of debt.  this isnt his first time - sadly.  i have been financially coerced and abused. 

I have my own home, mortgaged that i live in with my daughter, and it is a HTB mortgage.

with regards to his post, i just keep sending it back, but i can tell he has had at least two Ccj's, one of which from the previous house as he hasnt changed his address with some of his creditors.  this is a real mess and coming to my door.

i have had a couple of conversations with him to redirect his post - but so far no joy.  he had asked for me to forward to his dads house, but that doesnt get it away from my door, and just leaves me with another task to sort for him on a regular basis. 

Frankly I suggest that you start opening all the post, copying it and then sending it back.

I think I would also write to the senders and informed them about his change of address – to his father's house.

Presumably all the creditor correspondence is addressed to you because the debts are in your name.

I would certainly go back to the police and make the statement and try to complete the process. I think it's quite shameful that the police didn't deal with it anyway once you  were in hospital.

If you have a caseworker and the council is fully aware then why are they being so hard-nosed about chasing you for this money?

Please start reading this

I think there has to be an approach to this on several levels.

I think I direct communication with Bristow as well as with the council and also to your local MP will be a good starting place.

Simultaneously I think that there should be a campaign to deal with the debts and you may well find that some of the creditors when they understand may even write off the debts.

As I've already said you to start listing out the creditors and we may ask you to start separate threads for some of the more all of them.

As already indicated my site team colleague @dx100uk will most likely be along at some point and he will help you take control.

Frankly I suggest that you start opening all the post, copying it and then sending it back.

I think I would also write to the senders and informed them about his change of address – to his father's house. - OK 

Presumably all the creditor correspondence is addressed to you because the debts are in your name. - that is correct - he didnt work for a 3 years and ran up his own credit card debt as well as mine.  as soon as HIS son turned 18, the Child Benefit and Child maintenance stopped, he was barely paying his way - he then just stopped paying anything 

I would certainly go back to the police and make the statement and try to complete the process. I think it's quite shameful that the police didn't deal with it anyway once you  were in hospital. - if it was that easy I would - he once threatened to pour petrol in his ex-wife's letterbox, and on the basis i dont know where HE is I am afraid to do anything 

If you have a caseworker and the council is fully aware then why are they being so hard-nosed about chasing you for this money? - I don't know.  but all I know is that for months i couldnt even process paperwork let alone do any banking because he was at me constantly

I don't know where to start - i have now sorted all of my papers into piles so that i know whats what, and it sickens me.  

Hi ya.

one quick question

the home is solely in you name?

and they

You say there are ccj's...have these your name on them or his?

and they

Please slow down..

I know all of this seems mind boggling and very scary and confusing.

just get me through a series of basic questions and all will become clear.

can i just say..ignore the bailiffs...there is no right of forced entry on ccjs nor ctax debt....to date you have not let them in correct?

and youve signed nothing.. just had a notice of enforcement ?

and they

Lets wrap this ctax stuff up for now.

you said the council know all the domestic history but does the ctax unit know??

since you got the noe have you directly contract ed them?

and all this domestic stuff happened some many months ago??? When?? and this noe is as a result of ignoring ctax prior and since then?

and they

shropshire domestic violence know - yes 

and i have told the council and bristow sutor 

the last attack was october last year - i threw him out in december and i had surgery (to allow the damage from october to repair) in March 2021 

yes the noe is as a result of not being capable of dealing with anything.  my last payment to c./tax was oct /nov last year 

bristow have given me until 6pm tomorrow night to fill the form in and contact them.

i'm petrified