• Tweets

• I have read that thread. I will need to wait for last date of deferral to get key information to go back to Drydens.   I already asked for them to set aside, they refused but they have sent a message to court suspending warrant of control and put account on hold whilst they answer my SAR. I have also requested SAR to SLC.    
    • you do NOT need to pay it and anyway that would not remove the ccj, its there on your file paid or not for 6yrs, a paid ccj even with a cert of satisfaction is as bad as a non paid one.   the ONLY way to remove it is to set it aside.   sadly you the very worst thing you could have done with ANY debt on your credit file or not that you last used or paid or wrote about to the debt owner in the last 7 yrs....you ran away,,,moved without informing the debt owner of your correct and current address.   erudio and drydens are masters at doing backdoor ccj's. they are ofcourse totally wrong that the defaulted date is the sb date...well not when your last written/signed ack of the debt was more than 6yrs before the claimform date.   now how do you remove it....go read that thread ...carefullly then comeback here and lets see if you understand how.   dx  
    • Thanks, having to move house and discovered this. It's causing a nightmare in trying to rent somewhere and mortgage was also refused by the bank.    Shortly after requesting info I got a warrant in the post from bailifs. Managed to halt that and pause any action till I get key dates to try and get this removed.   Not wanting to avoid paying it, just need the CCJ gone.   Appreciate your help. Will read fully although I am not great with law.
    • Write the letter. It's important that you put this in writing so that you have a paper trail. Send the letter by recorded first class delivery. Explain that because of the defect in the bundle which has manifested itself within 30 days – always refer to the bundle – you are now rejecting it under the consumer rights act 2015 and that you require a refund and you want to know what their arrangements will be for providing you with this. You can also send this by email – but do it straight away. This reserves your rights and after that you have some flexibility as to how you want to act. I understand that they are uncooperative. No surprises. Don't imagine either that they will be fazed by your letter – but the important thing is that you are able to show that you are asserting your rights. After that, they are acting unlawfully We will help you make a claim against them and I suppose that will involve threatening to sue them and maybe even going on to sue them. You will find interesting and you will acquire some transferable skills which will enable you to sue anybody else who gets in your way with a degree of confidence. However, it might be a good idea to mitigate your loss and I would suggest that you accept the money that they have put on the table but make sure that they understand that you are accepting it and you are happy with it and you consider that they still owe you the outstanding £70. If you are asked to sign anything then you should decline and then we will help you claim for the whole lot. However if they don't ask you to sign for anything, then make sure that they have a letter from you at the same time saying thanks very much do for the £250. You are accepting it but this should not be taken as an indication that you are now relinquishing your claim to the rest of the money. Tell us what you want to do – with you want to take the 250 or whether you want to simply reject the lot and claim for the lot. If you want to take the 250 – which I suggest that you do – and if they will give you the money despite the fact that you are still reserve your rights in respect of the balance, then come back here when you have that money and we will help you with the rest. If they refuse to give you the money unless you agree that it is in full settlement, then that becomes very interesting because it becomes very clear evidence that they are beating their obligations under the consumer rights act – and this gives you even greater leverage over them when you decide to confront them. The advantage of mitigating your loss is that there is less to sue for and that means that your court fees will be less – although you will get these back anyway when you win. Also, because they are only fighting to hang onto £70, they are more likely to put their hands up once they know you're serious. There is absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking the money that is available on the table subject to the reservation which I've indicated above.
    • Yes she might well have sunk the VCS ship, or put it on the rocks as it rehashes old stuff introduces nothing new.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Domestic Violence now left with Major debt - all in my own name - starting with Council Tax - Bristow Sutor

Hi All 

Please can i have some help. 

So, I am 6 months out of a domestic violence relationship, including financial abuse (and physical & sexual).  i am thousands in debt thanks to him (over £55k), its taken me months to even start to look at it.  My first hurdle, is that my council tax now has a liability order.  Bristow and Sutor are asking me to complete a 'details' form, address, dependants, age, employment details, salary etc. 

can someone tell me what information i need to give them?  I owe £400 from last year and £750 from this year so far.  

i am not sure what the heck i am doing. 

i suffer severe anxiety and depression, not to mention PTSD and am afraid of my own shadow.  Before I fill in any forms, i need some help and advice please. 

there is more to come with my other creditors.

to top it off, my ex partner (who I threw out, has had a variety of debt collection letters and CCJ's come to my house, he hasn't changed his address (i dont know where he is) and its causing me sleepless nights.  I just cannot cope with anymore, no amount of returning these letters works, they just keep comming) 

I have flagged this up to my site team colleague @dx100uk who I am certain will be keen to get his teeth stuck into the debts.

I think you will have to start off by giving us the details of all the various debts – creditors et cetera.

I understand that the council tax is your first hurdle. I expect that my site team colleague will ask you for details about this as well.

What assets do you have?

Well done on come out on this and reaching out to us. You been here long enough that you know that we will be extremely supportive and do our best to help you.

Have the police had been involved at all?

Have you been in contact with any abuse agencies? I think that you may find that their help and advice will be very useful – not only in terms of being supportive emotionally but also being supportive in terms of corroborating any letters that you may have to write to any of these creditors in order to try and deal with situation.
Have you told the local council about your situation? Which local council is it? I would have expected local councils who understand what is going on to be pretty sympathetic in their handling of these matters.

All the debts in your name alone? Or are they held jointly?

I certainly think that you should be writing to the credit reference agencies and dissociating yourself from your ex-partner's name at that address.

What are you doing with all the correspondence that you are receiving which address to your ex-partner?

the Police were involved yes, he was arrested (but not charged) for ABH - and in the usual victim mentality i didnt make a statement, however, I can go back to that (or so i am told).  The last time he assaulted me I ended up in A&E in Oct 2020 and ended up requiring surgery in March 2021, this is on my medical file, there are photos etc of the assaults previously, and as you know from before my children witnessed far more than they should have.  

Shropshire Domestic Aid have now allocated me a case worker, and yes I have advised the Council, its been very difficult as I feel very uneasy and anxious about it all.  

my ex was very clever, and the debt was all in my name.  he used my credit cards to pay for his car finance etc, i told him I couldnt afford it and that all he was doing was transferring the debt to me, he promised to repay it, but he never did. he did the same to his previous wife, and left he with a lot of debt.  this isnt his first time - sadly.  i have been financially coerced and abused. 

I have my own home, mortgaged that i live in with my daughter, and it is a HTB mortgage.

with regards to his post, i just keep sending it back, but i can tell he has had at least two Ccj's, one of which from the previous house as he hasnt changed his address with some of his creditors.  this is a real mess and coming to my door.

i have had a couple of conversations with him to redirect his post - but so far no joy.  he had asked for me to forward to his dads house, but that doesnt get it away from my door, and just leaves me with another task to sort for him on a regular basis. 

Frankly I suggest that you start opening all the post, copying it and then sending it back.

I think I would also write to the senders and informed them about his change of address – to his father's house.

Presumably all the creditor correspondence is addressed to you because the debts are in your name.

I would certainly go back to the police and make the statement and try to complete the process. I think it's quite shameful that the police didn't deal with it anyway once you  were in hospital.

If you have a caseworker and the council is fully aware then why are they being so hard-nosed about chasing you for this money?

Please start reading this

I think there has to be an approach to this on several levels.

I think I direct communication with Bristow as well as with the council and also to your local MP will be a good starting place.

Simultaneously I think that there should be a campaign to deal with the debts and you may well find that some of the creditors when they understand may even write off the debts.

As I've already said you to start listing out the creditors and we may ask you to start separate threads for some of the more all of them.

As already indicated my site team colleague @dx100uk will most likely be along at some point and he will help you take control.

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Frankly I suggest that you start opening all the post, copying it and then sending it back.

I think I would also write to the senders and informed them about his change of address – to his father's house. - OK 

Presumably all the creditor correspondence is addressed to you because the debts are in your name. - that is correct - he didnt work for a 3 years and ran up his own credit card debt as well as mine.  as soon as HIS son turned 18, the Child Benefit and Child maintenance stopped, he was barely paying his way - he then just stopped paying anything 

I would certainly go back to the police and make the statement and try to complete the process. I think it's quite shameful that the police didn't deal with it anyway once you  were in hospital. - if it was that easy I would - he once threatened to pour petrol in his ex-wife's letterbox, and on the basis i dont know where HE is I am afraid to do anything 

If you have a caseworker and the council is fully aware then why are they being so hard-nosed about chasing you for this money? - I don't know.  but all I know is that for months i couldnt even process paperwork let alone do any banking because he was at me constantly

Hi ya.

one quick question

the home is solely in you name?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You say there are ccj's...have these your name on them or his?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

9 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

You say there are ccj's...have these your name on them or his?

His name - they have come to my house - 1 directly and one from the previous house as he hadnt changed his address

my conversation with Bristow Sutor - yellow highlight is them

i have begged for help

02.09.2021.pdf

Please slow down..

I know all of this seems mind boggling and very scary and confusing.

just get me through a series of basic questions and all will become clear.

can i just say..ignore the bailiffs...there is no right of forced entry on ccjs nor ctax debt....to date you have not let them in correct?

and youve signed nothing.. just had a notice of enforcement ?

and they

Lets wrap this ctax stuff up for now.

you said the council know all the domestic history but does the ctax unit know??

since you got the noe have you directly contract ed them?

and all this domestic stuff happened some many months ago??? When?? and this noe is as a result of ignoring ctax prior and since then?

and they

shropshire domestic violence know - yes 

and i have told the council and bristow sutor 

the last attack was october last year - i threw him out in december and i had surgery (to allow the damage from october to repair) in March 2021 

yes the noe is as a result of not being capable of dealing with anything.  my last payment to c./tax was oct /nov last year 

Ignore them

if they turn up

do not engage

get on the phone tomorrow to the council and make a nuisance of yourself getting through to the head of the ctax enforcement unit

send the ceo (head of councul) an email about it all asking to call off enforcement and take the debt back 

copy this to your local mp

as for all his/your consumer debt. For now forget about it. Stuff and all anyone can do. Go open a parachute account get all your income paid to there.

going fwd..Pay off this ctax debt asap. Pay your mortgage and gas/electric..those are the only ones that can hurt your roof.

Just to be 1000% bullet proof..have you ever gotten a copy of your home deeds recently??

and they

i do have some debt to my electric - thats the next thing - again, i stopped paying in Oct / Nov when they increased payments to £200 .... my ex was charging his electric mercedes on the house, and i just couldnt afford it 

can the NoE Bristow & Sutor take my car?

no i havent gotten a copy of my deeds - why do you say that??

Edited by Feelingdownandout

All util providers have special staff/section which deal with people in a  simular vulnerable situation..i suggest you make contact directly.

The noa gives you 7 days to act @ £75. Then the visit is £235 making a max total of £310. Yes they can levy on a car in your name. So get that work done tomorrow.

As for your deeds no harm in checking use only the .gov.uk land registry site cost approx £3ish. Cant hurt to be totally sure nothing backdoor is registered.

and they

Of course even being in a position where you resolutely refuse to let bailiffs into the property is extremely stressful and of course can be embarrassing in front of neighbours as well.
With this in mind I've got a suggestion to make and I don't think it will get in the way of the suggestions being made by my site team colleague @dx100uk although if there is any risk of this then you should prioritise his advice over mine.

I think there is some mileage to be made by making sure as many people as possible know what is going on.
I would suggest that you find out the name of your local MP and also of the councillors for your area which I believe may be Shropshire.

Then I think that with our help you can draft a letter to your MP and copied out to the local councillors and also to the relevant department in the local authority as well as to Bristow and anyone else we can think of.

May as well send a copy to the police as well. I expect that you have a crime reference number.

The letter would be directed to your MP in principle asking for help and explaining the problem. Explaining your circumstances including your hospitalisation and police involvement as well as the apparent disregard by the council and of the bailiffs of your predicament and of their own safeguarding policy.
I think you will find that this will trigger some kind of reaction and also probably some action.
I think an important part of sending this kind of letter is not only who do you address it to is the principal recipient, but also making sure that the principal recipient knows that lots of other agencies have been informed so that the matter is not a private matter any more.
I think this puts pressure on all parties.

If you'd like to find out the names of your local councillors and your MP then we can begin and we could probably have something to send off on Monday by email and also by post.

Have you read this?

SHROPSHIRE.GOV.UK

What is adult abuse and who is at risk?

I haven't looked through it but I suggest that you start looking through it carefully and also the Bristow safeguarding policy which I posted up earlier. Make notes and reference points particularly where you believe that their own safeguarding policy has been disregarded.

These will be included in the letter if you think you would like to go that way.

Also

WWW.WESTMERCIA.POLICE.UK

Find out what classes as domestic violence and abuse, how to report it and how, under Clare’s Law, you can find out about a possibly violent partner.

Are you working? Do your employers know about this situation?

yes i am working and my employers know about the domestic violence and abuse - I only have until 6pm today to contact Bristow & Sutor - do I complete the form they have asked me to and call them as they have instructed.  I have to go into the office today so am so tight on time.... its making me feel sick 

they want salary details etc... do i give them that?

one of my neighbours knows the local councillors so she has reached out for me and explained the situation, hoping i get a reply today

Edited by Feelingdownandout

Maybe @dx100uk will differ – but I don't see anything wrong with engaging with them to a certain extent. I don't think you should give the impression that you are especially complying with them but I think having a dialogue so that they don't have an opportunity to say that you are simply uncooperative – would be helpful.

However I'm not sure about filling in the form.

I do think that writing them a letter explaining exactly the situation but making sure that the council is copied in as well as your member of Parliament.

Of course this is quite a lot of work to do today – but I think it is important to give the impression that you are cooperative. Once again, maybe @dx100uk will have something to say about this.

My site team colleague has already advised that you make the council tax as well as utilities bills a priority and because it appears that you can't afford the backlog all at one go, I think that engaging with these agencies won't do you any harm. When people are completely uncooperative, that tends to get the backs up of councils and enforcement companies and they are less likely to help you.

At the end of the day, of course, you want this file taken back by the council and that they organise a proper scheme.

If you are able to get the names of the councillors from your neighbour today or find them from some other source then I would copy them in as well to any letter which you are going to send to the bailiffs and to the council. Once again, there are huge advantages in making sure that as many people as possible see what you are writing and also realise that there are other people who are now in the loop.

If you have a crime reference number then I would include that in the letter.

Clearly points to leverage are the fact that you are a single parent, responsible for a child aged XX years. That you have been the victim of domestic abuse for XX years which has taken the form not only of domestic violence but also of economic abuse and coercive control.
If you have previously told any of these agencies then you ought to make it clear that they have already been informed in the past.

Also I do think that it will be well worth looking at the abuse policies of the council and of Bristow and if you are able to identify areas in which you think they have not followed their policy then you should point this out in the letter as well. This is very important.

Are you making any council tax payments? If you are only to make any payments at the moment then I would certainly make some kind of gesture but I think that I would pay the council directly and not involve Bristow's in any debt repayment that make it clear that there is no problem dealing directly with the council and that you are asking them to apply their safeguarding policies to your predicament.

I'm ranting on a bit but I hope you get the picture

quite correct there is no nharm in engaging the bailiff it they do appear. Go outside. Lock your door behind you. Tell them what you are going thru. History and are doing or going to do. Even film them if you like

but dont sign or agree to anything no matter what stunts they try and pull.

Dx

and they

You should definitely film – or at least record any engagement. Best to try and simply audio record and try to do it without them knowing so that there is no sense of confrontation or conflict.

The important thing is to try and win them over and make them realise that you are vulnerable and that the case should revert back to their management and then back to the council.

If you think that you have bailiffs at the door then you must switch on your recorder first before you have any conversation with them. Make sure they understand that if you are opening the door it is to leave the house and not to permit them to enter. We must make this very clear in any recording.

But I think that there is a definite need for a full written account of what is happening and which should be sent to everyone