I've received a tracing letter from a company called "connex"

Andy111
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've genuinely not got a clue what this is, nothing showing via a quick (this) site search and nothing really via Google for this company connecting it to debt recovery.  But the letter looks like your bog standard debt recovery tracing letter hence why I'm posting in here.

But I've just had a letter through the door from a company called "connex" with the sub heading "let us connex you" with a reference number starting "WU", their website looks to be connexme.co.uk and their postal address is in Epsom if that helps to identify this company.

Basically the letter is saying they have been asked to locate an individual and think I may have some information that could assist them et c and asking me to contact them his phone, webchat or email.

Smacks of debt recovery which I can 100% say I'm not in and the only other case (which I'll continue to claim was not me) went to court years

ago.  So does anyone have any thought as no forum results so unsure on it to respond.

Edited by Andy111

Ignore them they can do nothing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

no harm in writing giving your correct address

there are companies that look like debt tracers but are infact will trscers

what the full address please?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

7 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

no harm in writing giving your correct address

there are companies that look like debt tracers but are infact will trscers

what the full address please?

Their full address is: Reaver House, Suite 145, 12 East Street, Epsom, KT17 1HX.

Nothing on Google to indicate what (barring tracers) their main line of business is in the tracing world, client wise or anything.  Which is why I'm stumped nothing has come up in searches.

Companies house?

fca register?

is there a reg number in the footer of the ir letter?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

3 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

Companies house?

fca register?

is there a reg number in the footer of the ir letter?

The letter footer on the bottom right does have "ICO Reference: ZB134627" which means nothing to me.

apart from that there is only the letter ref starting "WU".

Tried companies house and nothing found so far.  Though these details as per above for company name and address is registered on the ICO register.  With the data controller named as a "Mr Joseph Peter Allen".

Nothing on their website either to give an alternative or full company name which would help I guess.

Search his name on the fca register

Dx

and they

Joseph Peter Allen isn't showing up on the FCA register in looking.  However, his name does show as a director and main shareholder of another company in the area, "Allen Process Sollutions LTD". whose line of business seems to be management consultancy which makes little sense.  Would have liked to have seen that connection to come up with indicative results here or Google but nothing.  n

Must admit to being very curious as to who they are and why no results for this connex company.

Hmm, the address for this Connex is just a box address with countless companies registered at the same address.  And I've looked through companies house listings in detail and no such company I could find registered in the hundreds of results in that postcode or area that would match with the name and type of business.

yea just a mail drop

so theres no 'debt' involved in what connex have been asked to do by whomever their stated client might be, as they are not on the FCA register.

there is also no content previous on CAG.

so... there are several of the tracers that likewise appear out of the blue on CAG and it results in some kind of inheritance/will etc thing. but they all go dead.

so.. IMHO..it can't hurt you to respond to them...you never know!

and they

I'll respond by email then just to see if they will enlighten me before I'm willing to confirm or deny anything.  Afterall, whilst it could be something like you say I guess the other end it might also be some kind of phishing exercise for information for immoral purposes.  Will just wait & see if they reply to my email.

Hiya, yeah I contacted them by email only at the moment but they are rather vague in their response which with the letter and vague response to my email still gives me the gut feeling it's likely debt related or information phishing .  As if tracing someone for reasons other than the pursuit of monies or information then I fail to see why they are not more forthcoming in who their client is and what it relates to which they could easily do without giving away any real personal information.

Ashford, I'm curious on the reference number to see if that gives any clue, this letter starts with "ref: WUxxxxx."  What does yours start with as I'm wandering if the ref might give some indicator if the same of similar?

My email to them was more to state that I had received the tracing letter and wanting to enquire on the nature of the trace as it may in fact relate to the previous tenant. 

There reply was more a re wording of their letter stating "we have been asked by a client to locate an individual by the name of". And they also add in the email response "who would have had a connection to an address on xxx in xxx" No precise address, just a street name and city.

They also state if they have sent the letter incorrectly to let them know so they can remove it from their "file".  But if I do know the person if I could forward the letter on to them.

I've replied further (via email) to try and enquire deeper as I fail to see if it's of benefit to the person they are looking for why they are not more forthcoming information wise or who the "client" is?.  But I did state I will try to contact the person if it could be them hence why I'm asking for more info.

But it's still all odd and strange now or why this Connex (connexme.co.uk) company doesn't return any Google results, no results on here and don't exist on companies house.  The only registration as such is as stated above, their ICO number which states a "Joseph Peter Allen" and also known as "Connex".  So maybe they are a cover\secondry company to hide who they really might be?

Also their (Connex) address is based in Surrey as (if you search a few minutes more) is what appears could (but I won't post it even if it's a freely available registered address) be the personal address of this "Joseph Peter Allen".

Sorry, but I'm always highly suspicious when contacted out of the blue and nothing about this company is searchable let alone registered.  So how on earth would their "client" ever find them to have hired them in the first place???

honest answer . are you connect to the address they are enquiring about please?

even if it is a debt it cant hurt you to admit being connect to xxx address at xxx time.

it is extremely rare single band joe public trace agent will take on client debtor chasing... never heard of it ever.

did you state the address you are current at IS your correct address?

plenty of ways to deal with if it IS a debt and any resultant actions later . it does NOT in anyway and CANNOT admit your nor any liability.

i'm gonna be digging tonight 

and they

Hi Andy111, yes the letter was much the same as yours stating they have been asked to locate an individual and we think you may have some information that could assist us.  The ref number starts 'JE'.  It does come off as suspicious!

Edited by Ashford 1
Mustypey

41 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

honest answer . are you connect to the address they are enquiring about please?

even if it is a debt it cant hurt you to admit being connect to xxx address at xxx time.

it is extremely rare single band joe public trace agent will take on client debtor chasing... never heard of it ever.

did you state the address you are current at IS your correct address?

plenty of ways to deal with if it IS a debt and any resultant actions later . it does NOT in anyway and CANNOT admit your nor any liability.

i'm gonna be digging tonight 

Honest answer I may have some connection to the address they are enquiring about, but as there is no house number stated or from roughly what time\year I cant be fully sure as the street could have hundreds of houses and many different owners\tenants over the years with similar or the same name without further details.  But if it is, it would relate to an address from over 20 years ago.  But then again, my dad of the same name could also be the person they might be looking for.

DX, the reason I'm highly reluctant to divulge any info to anybody or such company is down to the last time this happened it was a dodgy debt firm who got an effective default against me (IND\Intrum, Intrum were\are based in Surrey I recall, hmmm) that I'll still insist I'm innocent of yet due to legal tactics the court found in their favour all the same.

Anyways, funny how all of a sudden at least 3 people have received a similar letter from the same company this last week.  Like I said, likely a false cover company masking who they really might be, but will contact them next week more out of curiosity as anything.

So we now have 3.  ... Well 3 sep people cant be linked to say the same will etc..just to coincidental ..and to come here🕵️‍♂️

no chance!!

weve a joe public chaser after commission payments and old debt .for finding you.

radio silence gentlemen

though i will say again.. We've never heard of this here for consumer debt ever..now business debt is another matter..any of you ever left any bis<>bis debt??

Dx

and they

Never had any business interests myself.

Like I said, how could anyone hire a tracing company to carry out legitimate tracing work when they don't appear to exist via Google searches or as a registered company with Companies House?.  As how on earth would you find an un searchable or un registered company to hire other other obvious options?.

Edited by Andy111

A private trace agent only needs to be ico registered...and thats because of handling pers data

and they

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan69 said:

I received a letter from Connex today, being suspicious also I tried searching for the company which is how I came across this thread.

Also have no idea if it’s genuine or even what it could be about?

Welcome to the forum.

Please will you post this question in a new thread and you get the support you need there. Adding your post to an existing thread simply causes confusion for the owner of that particular thread.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Ashford 1 said:

Andy111 did you contact them?  How did you get on?  My partner has had the same so wondering what it's all about 🤔

Welcome to the forum.

Please will you post this question in a new thread and you get the support you need there. Adding your post to an existing thread simply causes confusion for the owner of that particular thread.

Thanks

Please will you start a new thread on this issue. It is much easier to give support to people when they have their own thread otherwise advice gets confused.

Also, when there are multiple threads on the same issue with the same company turning up, it is much more likely to rise to the top of the Google rankings and be easier to find for other people who are having similar problems.

Please start your own thread

8 minutes ago, Winger64 said:

Hi all.

Received a letter myself yesterday (03/09/21) quickly googled and this was the only source of info. regarding comexme I could find on the net. HIGHLY suspicious IMHO.

In regards to the ref; they used the first two letters of my surname and some numbers...

A little alarming that within a few days people have received this letter with no online presence. Probably a new outfit trying their luck. Nothing good can come from contact.

Sidenote: The paper used is poor, wafer thin and does not exude quality that one would expect in regards to a top firm with honorable intentions.

Please update with other further findings, interested.

Please will you start a new thread on this issue. It is much easier to give support to people when they have their own thread otherwise advice gets confused.

Also, when there are multiple threads on the same issue with the same company turning up, it is much more likely to rise to the top of the Google rankings and be easier to find for other people who are having similar problems.

Please start your own thread

Right, no real update as such but I have heard back from them.  The email pretty much says they are unable to discuss the matter further due to data protection and can only discuss the matter with the person they are looking for.  I've read the thoughts of DX in the other thread and I was starting to come round to his line of thinking, But still don't get that data protection prevents them from disclosing a few details to the rough nature.

However, with that in mind, I will contact them this week to confirm the connection to see what they want.  But sure as hell won't confirm a contact address until I know for sure if it is likely as DX feels, some kind of heir hunters etc.

If this could, as DX suggests, be inheritance related it might be of interest to point out that I've asked my siblings and none of them have received such a letter.  So if it is, it's likely not via a direct next of kin issue as if so I'd assume they to would have been contacted?.

Well if they were involved that would comeout when their client digs deeper havibng found a lead to poss heir, as sadly they are duty bound too. The laws if you go browse around the site are mighty complex. A tracer wouldn't necessarily do a mass mail out but pick the best target to complete his task

worthy to further this imho as even if anvd i doubt its debt at all but it cant hurt you anyway go watch a few heir hunter episode s and youll understand why its needle in a haystack syndrome sometimes with limited time left before the govt swallow it to coffers by default

Dx

and they

Thank you for updating. Personally I'm still sceptical, fact that Connexme have deleted their search via Google in the rankings is highly questionable!! Unable to find this thread in google now...

Please continue to update. Thank you in advance and for those who participate.

Edited by Winger64