Whose fault is it?

Giftnificent
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, first time poster so please be gentle...

I'm hoping any advice supplied will be straight forward so here goes...

At a roundabout I was 2nd in queue, turning left.  Foot on brake whilst looking to my right, I could see the coast was clear, looked in front of me and the lead car moved forward to go and suddenly stopped (roundabout was still clear to go) and I rear ended him.  Simply question, am I at fault or him?  He blamed another car coming from the right that shot out of nowhere, hence why he braked suddenly (I certainly didn't see this car).

We happen to be with the same insurance company, we exchanged details and he's going to price up the bits for his car and mine too as he works for a scrappers.  I've a feeling he'll want me to pay for these parts but really don't think I'm the one at fault even though I rear ended him.  There was absolutely no reason for him to start to leave the roundabout then suddenly stop..

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm leaning to calling my insurance company and going down that route...

Many thanks, Keith.

Exact same happened to a friend of mine

Insurance put it as his fault and the other drive went the full whiplash route

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

You can only obtain Insurance confirmation from askmid if you are the registered owner, drive an employers vehicle and very restricted other reasons.
It is an offence for an individual to check someone else's insurance status,

Please do not suggest to the OP that they can do this.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

All of the information on using Askmid, is on the website.

WWW.ASKMID.COM

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

1 hour ago, Gick said:

You can only obtain Insurance confirmation from askmid if you are the registered owner, drive an employers vehicle and very restricted other reasons.
It is an offence for an individual to check someone else's insurance status,

Please do not suggest to the OP that they can do this.

So why does the askMID website offer:

”If you have been involved in an accident and need to check the other vehicle is insured, for a small charge you can make a One-off askMID search . Once you have entered some details, including the accident date, you can identify the insurer of the other vehicle so that you can submit your claim.”

http://stayinsured.askmid.com/about-askMID.html

• I agree 2

Yes if you have a reason such as wanting to identify a third parties inurance company to make a claim against them, then Askmid enables this.

Askmid is not identifying Mr X at x address.  It is to find out if there is Insurance and provide the Insurance company information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

6 hours ago, ukshane4life said:

xxxxxxxxxxx

@ukshane4life

I see that you have previously been warned about your unhelpful comments.

If you want to have the benefit of this community then please be a little bit more careful before you start posting responses onto other people's threads

Bazza and Unclebulgaria, I am aware of this which is why I added   'and very restricted other reasons.'

The OP''s situation does not fall into this category, in the original post it has been stated that they are with the same insurance company so they are already aware, and they are not asking in order to make a claim.  As  such the OP would be breaching Data Protection legislation by asking as poster ukshane4life has recommended.

In any case, the OP was simply asking whose fault the incident was!

Edited by Gick

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Unless the OP has confirmed with his insurer the other driver is insured with the same insurer, it is possible that the OP was merely told this by the other driver, and so they are entitled to confirm it if it hasn’t already be confirmed.

OP : “I’m with AXA”

other driver “what a co-incidence, so am I!”

contrasted with the insurer confirming it……

However, yes, likely the OP’s fault regardless of why the other driver braked

Edited by BazzaS