• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Mccall v Yorkshire Bank ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Leanne.

You're in the right place.

Post any questions and progress reports here. then you will be able to draw on the experience of others who are also dealing with the Yorkshire.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Hi Leanne and welcome to the YB forum. How are you getting on with your claim? There's a lot of information to take in when you start, but there's no pressure to rush your claim. The main thing is to keep reading, learn all you can, and make sure you are confident your claim is right so that YB don't have any excuses for wriggling out of paying your claim.

The spreadsheets calculate interest for you so all you have to do is put in the details of the charges off your statements and the spreadsheet does the work for you.

Good luck.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Caro,

Thank you for your comments. I agree it is a lot of info to get your head round. At the moment I'm taking each step at a time. Still feeling v positive about claiming the money back that YB took off me over the last 6 years. After a long deliberation with whether I

sorry caro must of pressed the reply button. oops!!!!!. as i was saying i've not decided to persue the interest on my schedule of charges as i dont think i'd be confident enough to stand up in court (god forbid it reached that stage) to explain what/which interest i'm trying to claim back. I'd be happy with the approximate £2,000 the bank has charged me on returned DD/SO/CHEQUES and the UNAUTH OVERDRAFT DAILY FEE.

Leanne

Fair enough on the OD interest. There is statutory section 69 interest of 8% that you are entitled to claim and is awarded at the courts discretion when you come to do the court claim. The court let you have this because you have been deprived of the use of your money. You would not need to explain that at all.

You have a while before your court claim will need doing though, so just keep reading and it will make sense if you keep at it.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It's all in the FAQ's and step by step instructions, but ask if you get stuck as we're all in it together.

Hi there,

Need some help please. Just started my schedule of charges spreadsheet, not sure if I could claim back the ''debit under advice'' I've got a few of these that has been debited out of my account of £33.00 each one which is the same charge that YB charge for ''unpaid DD/SO/ RETURNED CHEQUE''. I'm sure I've read someone on CAG that I cannot claim, please can someoone clarify.

Thanks Leanne :confused:

I've claimed them, and I have also got a schedule off YB of my charges, and they included them. I only got this off them as they claim my schedule is wrong in their defence of my claim so I asked for their version. It took them about 3 months. I don't think they are a problem.

Hi Guys,

Just an update, been into my branch this morning to hand my schedule of charges & premlinery letter. How ARSY can these ''jobs worth bank clerks be''!!!!!!!. I politely asked for a receipt (stating how many pages had been received & the letter I sent in). It took the girl 15 minutes to write a receipt in the back office. Making me wait at the counter (how pathectic). She came back with YB comp slip with just her initials on not what I'd requested. I then asked politely again to write on comp slip what I wanted on there it took her her another 10 minutes in the back office to do this until I heard one of her colleagues say "were not obliged to do that". Bye the bye she came back and very rudely said"this is the best I can do"" (comp slip states her intial, states 7 pages received & date received). I personally think the world and its wife was reading it. I was glad it just proves that people like us are dealing with this bank professionally, unfortunately I cant say the same for the staff!!!!!.

Leanne x

By their very nature the staff at YB & BC tend to be stroppy, unhelpful & at times outright rude.

Get your own back by taking back YOUR money that they've been keeping for you.

I've made no secret of my hatred towards this shower of scumbags and for good reason.

** I AM NOT A LAWYER, PLEASE CONSULT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IF YOU ARE IN ANY DOUBT **

I have successfully claimed against: "MBNA, Capital One, Bank of Scotland & Clydesdale Bank"

The Consumer Action Group is a Self-Help website, Moderators & Site Helpers offer advice on a voluntary basis. Please spend time reading the FAQ's, and other cases relating to your bank before starting your own claim

Sorry Leanne. I'm afraid I have to do a major hijack now as my pm box is full and so I can't send any PM's at the moment.

JMio!!!! Where have you been? How are you? Did you ever get the rest of your money? How the devil are you? My goodness I've missed you. Please update your thread so I can stop embarrassing myself with this dreadful hijack.

Are you sticking around for a while or is this a flying visit?

Hi Guys,

Just an update for you. Since sending my Schedule of charges letter in to the branch on 13/12/06. I've received a letter from the branch manager dates 14/12/06 @YB general letter stating breach of my contract with regards to my account being overdrawn and the bank has a right to put charges on my account blah blah blah. Last paragraph states and I quote '' Please note that should you proceed straight to court action against the Bank in request of this matter, the Bank reserves the right to lodge a counterclaim against you for damages suffered as a result of the breach by you of your contract with the Bank''.

Scare tactic I know. Just about to send my LBA. Wish me luck!.

Leanne x

Good luck :)

Hi again

Have I dropped a clanger?. Rushing to get my LBA done before YB shut this afternoon. Just gone back into the template and in my letter that I have now sent to YB I've put the paragraph which is typed in blue on the template on my letter. OOPS. Will this affect my claim, who do I need to complain to (not sure what the initials OFT and would I need to do write a letter of complaint to them straight away or wait until if/when it goes to court. I am panicking for no reason or should I been panicking?. Help!!!!

Leanne x :?:

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas Guys,

Received a letter dated the 21 st of December, from Neil McKirdy stating he his reviewing my complaint re charges levied on my account. Need some advice PLEASE!!!. It states he will respond to my complaint in 4 weeks tried tel no on letter 0141 242 4137 but constantly engaged!.

Shall I start court proceedings or wait till he responds not sure what to do?. If I do start court proceedings do I need to send this Neil a letter confirming my intentions, please help?.

Leanne x

Just another standard delaying tactic.You wont hear anything from Mr Mckirdy.It seems to be a standard letter they send out to delay things by another month.You can go to court action now provided you have followed all the steps in the instructions.You dont have to wait the 4 weeks.Stick to your own timetable

;) If this helps please click the scales bottom left

Hi Guys,

Happy New Year!!!.

Need some help please. Ready to take YB to court, a bit confused though?. Just finished my sschedule of charges with my 8% interest on it. Do I just send that spreadsheet off and send the N1 claim form off. or do I have to include the spreadsheet that I sent to my bank.

Thanks Leanne x