A1 caravans in South milford, Motorhome engine blew up 17 days after buying

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 940 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi this is bit long but I've copied and pasted an email I sent to the owner of where I purchased my motorhome. I'm looking for a advice as to what do next, his response came third hand with "it's a court job".

I purchased the Fiat Ducato Motorhome registration number xxx on the 3rd August 2021 for £10,195. 
Before I purchased it, I was told that the motorhome had undergone an engine refurbishment, and because of this I would have to drive it steady for the first 500 miles to ease it in,  I was also told that it had a leak at the back and that it was all fixed now. I was told the motorhome was good to go. 

When the motorhome was at home parked up, it rained heavily and the water poured through the ceiling wetting all the cushions and wooden seating bay. The roof has lowered considerably and water is held in the plastic light as well as the ceiling
I dried all this out and rang shaun. He came down twice to the motorhome, after I had purchased everything he needed to repair it, and admitted that the work had not been carried out at all. New sealant was put on the roof and for this I was grateful but disappointed that I had originally been told it was all fixed.

I took the motorhome to my garage to have a service, new filters, oil and water.
I was advised by a motorhome group on facebook to have the timing belt checked and replaced for my own piece of mind so I booked it into the garage. Shaun said it wouldn't need this as it would have had a new one put in with the refurbishment. I decided to have it checked anyway and on Thursday 19th August 2021 I took it from my home to the garage, but I didn't make it there, 2 miles from the garage the engine began to make a very loud scary noise and I managed to get her to the side of the road, we vacated the van and I saw alot of orange fluid on the road. The engine was dead now, so we walked the rest of the way.

I had to get a recovery van later that day at the cost of £144.00 to get it to the garage.

The garage has since looked at it and diagnosed that it is a fault with the internal engine, meaning it would have to be pulled out and taken apart to see what the issue is. No other work has been carried out by the garage since. 

I rang Shaun again to inform him of the diagnosis on Monday morning, he said he would speak to you.
However during the conversation that evening when I rang back, he said that the engine had not been refurbished but it had been checked, and these things happen, not what I was originally led to believe.

So, I purchased the motorhome having been informed that the engine had been refurbished and paperwork for this was in the office somewhere and that the leak was fixed, when in fact none of this had actually been done at all.

Shaun has suggested that it goes to a garage to be investigated. At present it is sat outside the garage in East End park, unable to be driven. This means it will need to be transported at a cost. If I have to arrange this, It will be transported back to A1 Caravans. This needs to be arranged very soon, in the next day or so. so I would appreciate a response as soon as possible.

I purchased the motorhome on 3rd August 2021
I have driven twice to the garage in East End Park
On the 17th August 2021 I broke down on the way to the garage, 17 days after purchase
I have driven a total of 61 miles since purchase 
I have receipts for all purchases made, including repair work to leak and the service

Under the new Consumer law 2015, if I have a complaint within 30 days, I have an automatic right to reject the motorhome, this means the trader must give full refund.
30 days from purchase will be 1st September 2021. 

I am hoping this matter can be resolved and arrangements made quickly, otherwise I will have no other option than to take the legal route before the 1st September 2021
Can you please contact me on xxx in the next 24 hours as I will be making arrangements to return the motorhome back to a1 caravans.

Any advice would gratefully be recieved.
Xx

Hi this is bit long but I've copied and pasted an email I sent to the owner of where I purchased my motorhome.

I'm looking for a advice as to what do next, his response came third hand with "it's a court job".

I purchased the Fiat Ducato Motorhome registration number xxx on the 3rd August 2021 for £10,195. 

Before I purchased it, I was told that the motorhome had undergone an engine refurbishment, and because of this I would have to drive it steady for the first 500 miles to ease it in,  I was also told that it had a leak at the back and that it was all fixed now. I was told the motorhome was good to go. 

When the motorhome was at home parked up, it rained heavily and the water poured through the ceiling wetting all the cushions and wooden seating bay. The roof has lowered considerably and water is held in the plastic light as well as the ceiling

I dried all this out and rang shaun. He came down twice to the motorhome, after I had purchased everything he needed to repair it, and admitted that the work had not been carried out at all. New sealant was put on the roof and for this I was grateful but disappointed that I had originally been told it was all fixed.

I took the motorhome to my garage to have a service, new filters, oil and water.

I was advised by a motorhome group on facebook to have the timing belt checked and replaced for my own piece of mind so I booked it into the garage.

Shaun said it wouldn't need this as it would have had a new one put in with the refurbishment.

I decided to have it checked anyway and on Thursday 19th August 2021 I took it from my home to the garage, but I didn't make it there, 2 miles from the garage the engine began to make a very loud scary noise and I managed to get her to the side of the road, we vacated the van and I saw alot of orange fluid on the road. The engine was dead now, so we walked the rest of the way.

I had to get a recovery van later that day at the cost of £144.00 to get it to the garage.

The garage has since looked at it and diagnosed that it is a fault with the internal engine, meaning it would have to be pulled out and taken apart to see what the issue is. No other work has been carried out by the garage since. 

I rang Shaun again to inform him of the diagnosis on Monday morning, he said he would speak to you.

However during the conversation that evening when I rang back, he said that the engine had not been refurbished but it had been checked, and these things happen, not what I was originally led to believe.

So, I purchased the motorhome having been informed that the engine had been refurbished and paperwork for this was in the office somewhere and that the leak was fixed, when in fact none of this had actually been done at all.

Shaun has suggested that it goes to a garage to be investigated. At present it is sat outside the garage in East End park, unable to be driven.

his means it will need to be transported at a cost. If I have to arrange this, It will be transported back to A1 Caravans.

This needs to be arranged very soon, in the next day or so. so I would appreciate a response as soon as possible.

I purchased the motorhome on 3rd August 2021

I have driven twice to the garage in East End Park

On the 17th August 2021 I broke down on the way to the garage, 17 days after purchase
I have driven a total of 61 miles since purchase 

I have receipts for all purchases made, including repair work to leak and the service

Under the new Consumer law 2015, if I have a complaint within 30 days, I have an automatic right to reject the motorhome, this means the trader must give full refund.
30 days from purchase will be 1st September 2021. 

I am hoping this matter can be resolved and arrangements made quickly, otherwise I will have no other option than to take the legal route before the 1st September 2021

Can you please contact me on xxx in the next 24 hours as I will be making arrangements to return the motorhome back to a1 caravans.

Any advice would gratefully be recieved.
Xx

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

Please can start by telling us the name of the dealer and the website.

Write a letter to the dealer - sent by email and recorded delivery telling them that you are asserting your rights under the Consumer Rights act and that you are asserting your right to reject and that you are rejecting the vehicle and you want to know what arrangements they will make to recover it and to give you your refund.

This is an essential step and you should do it immediately.

How did you pay?  Did you pay by cash?  Did you pay by bank transfer?

This post is what I emailed to the owner. Do I need to be more specific? 

His response came through a phonecard through one of his employees, Shaun, who basically runs the yard for him, it was him that said the owner had said its a court job". 

It's A1 caravans in South milford, Leeds. The owner is Dave Fox. 

I paid £500 deposit cash

£8,000 in bank transfer and the rest cash. 

Phonecall not phonecard 

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

Hello, welcome to CAG.

I've removed the registration number and your mobile number, best to keep this anonymous.

Best, HB

Thankyou, I just copied and pasted. X

• BankFodder changed the title to A1 caravans in South milford, Motorhome engine blew up 17 days after buying

Send the letter I suggested above and monitor this thread for a reply tomorrow

I will, I've just sent him the consumer act 2015 and headed it "for your information" and also told him I'd rather speak directly with him than through anybody else. 

But I will send this too x thankyou 

Yes.  Please send the letter I have advised and confirm that it has been done

Do not speak to him directly at all until you have read our customer services guide and implemented the advice there

Hi

Just for info you can check the MOT History of the vehicle very easy to do just put the vehicles reg into this Government link and have a very good read: (look at how many times it has Pass/Fail and the reasons) the link will be helpful if you decide to purchase another vehicle to check the history

WWW.GOV.UK

Check the MOT history of a vehicle from 2005 onwards, including if it passed or failed, its mileage and why it failed

Note: when you check the MOT History your specific vehicle it passes then fails on numerous occasions and yes it passed it MOT when you purchased the vehicle but it also has a list of advisories which at some stage will need to be rectified at a cost. (I also assume that with the latest MOT for the vehicle you were never made aware of the advisories on that vehicle please correct me if I am wrong)

Bankfodder is correct you need to stop phoning this individual and put it in writing as you now need to keep a good paper trail 

Please name the dealership/website link for them

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I hope you have been reading enough on this website to understand the very serious mistake you have made when you pay by cash or you pay by bank transfer.

when you pay using a credit card or a finance agreement or even by a debit card you have a great deal of protection pickers by large the bank takes on all the responsibilities of the dealer if the dealer will not co-operate or if the dealer disappears.

I take it you have received nothing in writing from the dealer.

on the basis that the message that you received was that it is a court job, it seems inevitable that you are going to have to bring a claim in the county court.

your chances of success are much better than 95% but the problem with many of these used vehicle dealers is is enforcing the judgement.

You need to understand that getting a judgement in your favour is only part of the battle.  After that you have to go ahead and enforce it it and that can be very difficult if the dealer is determined to avoid  it.

Please could you list out exactly what your losses are.

Just give us a a bullet pointed list of the money you have spent or other losses that you might have suffered

10 hours ago, BankFodder said:

I hope you have been reading enough on this website to understand the very serious mistake you have made when you pay by cash or you pay by bank transfer.

when you pay using a credit card or a finance agreement or even by a debit card you have a great deal of protection pickers by large the bank takes on all the responsibilities of the dealer if the dealer will not co-operate or if the dealer disappears.

I take it you have received nothing in writing from the dealer.

on the basis that the message that you received was that it is a court job, it seems inevitable that you are going to have to bring a claim in the county court.

your chances of success are much better than 95% but the problem with many of these used vehicle dealers is is enforcing the judgement.

You need to understand that getting a judgement in your favour is only part of the battle.  After that you have to go ahead and enforce it it and that can be very difficult if the dealer is determined to avoid  it.

Please could you list out exactly what your losses are.

Just give us a a bullet pointed list of the money you have spent or other losses that you might have suffered

I paid £10,195 for the motorhome

£144.00 recovery cost when it broke down

£120 service for oil, oil filter and water

£135.75 insurance cancellation fee

£50.00 for materials to fix leak in roof 

Thank you. Please could you address the questions I put about your exchanges with the dealer.

Also, what is the estimate of the cost of repairs to to bring the vehicle back on the road.

Are there other fault which you have now discovered

Any movement on this?