• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Walking possession order

Lizzy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A bailiff has put a walking possession on one of my husbands machines at work. The company is a limited company but my husband owns all the machines on a personal basis. He allowed this to happen because he panicked and also agreed to make payments way beyond his means.

The question is, can they still take the machine even though he can prove he owns it ?

Also if they can't take the machine and they have nothing left to levy on can they close the factory?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

If he can prove that he owns it personally, then it should be difficult for them to take it but expect them to try. He will need to produce an original receipt and I wouldn't be surprised if they took it away and argued about it later, I'm afraid.

You could try contacting these guys:

http://www.guide-information.org.uk/search_index_detail.lasso?RecID=G4574

but I don't know what they're like.

The argument here is about ownership. If the asset doesn't belong to the company then the bailiff should not be able to take it. However, I wouldn't bet that there isn't some case law somewhere which "lifts the corporate veil" in a situation like this. However, the argument about ownership if backed up with a receipt should satisfy the bailiff.

The argument about tools of the trade would only apply to an individual or potentially a partnership.

• Confused 1

I may be wrong, but I always thought that Bailiffs were not allowed to take someones tools of their trade

Are there any goods that the bailiff cannot seize?

Bailiffs (except bailiffs acting on behalf of the magistrate's court - see below) cannot seize the following goods:

• tools, goods, vehicles and other items of equipment necessary for use by you in your employment, business or vocation;
  • clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and provisions as are necessary for satisfying the basic domestic needs of you and your family

SEEN HERE

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I see so as a LIMITED COMPANY they could take the lot. But as he owns all the machines on a personal basis they can't take them, even though he signed the form but can prove he owns them.

The other question is. If there is nothing left for them to take can they close the factory. The debt is not for rent arrears. ?

Thanks for everyones help so far. It's a complicated business.............

The argument here is about ownership. If the asset doesn't belong to the company then the bailiff should not be able to take it. However, I wouldn't bet that there isn't some case law somewhere which "lifts the corporate veil" in a situation like this. However, the argument about ownership if backed up with a receipt should satisfy the bailiff chimp.

The argument about tools of the trade would only apply to an individual or potentially a partnership.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

I see so as a LIMITED COMPANY they could take the lot. But as he owns all the machines on a personal basis they can't take them, even though he signed the form but can prove he owns them.

The other question is. If there is nothing left for them to take can they close the factory. The debt is not for rent arrears. ?

Thanks for everyones help so far. It's a complicated business.............

I don't know the answer to that I'm afraid. I know of one instance where a VAT bailiff was denied access to a business premises by the owner. The owner put a padlock on the door so that the bailiff couldn't get in. The bailiff responded by putting a bigger padlock on the door so that the owner couldn't get in! I don't know whether it would be legal for a bailiff to do something similar for a non-tax debt but I think that this is the only way he could close down the operation.

Guest Alison82

Just came across this

Warrant of execution

A warrant of execution gives court bailiffs the authority to take goods from the defendant's home or business. Bailiffs will try to either:

collect the money you are owed; or

take goods to sell at auction.

You cannot ask the county court to issue a warrant if the amount you want the bailiff to collect is more than £5,000, unless you are enforcing an agreement made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. (This is because regulated agreements can only be enforced in the county court.) But you can ask the sheriff's officer (through the High Court) to try to collect the money you are owed or to remove goods. The staff at any county court will be able to tell you what you need to do.

Bailiffs cannot always remove and sell the defendant's goods. For example, they cannot remove essential household items and tradesman's tools or goods subject to hire purchase or rental agreements.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE.

Hubby faxed though ownership details of the machine to the debt collection agency. As they had nothing to take they said they would give their client this information and see what they wanted to do.

They can either

Write off the debt

Take the COMPANY to court to fill out a form stating company assets etc to see if its worth bothering to bankrupt to get their money back.

Issue a winding up order.

Its been a few weeks now and not heard anything yet........Im sure it won't go away as seems the debt is now owned by a BANK. The will just do their worst because they can.

Not worried too much as the business can still trade. Our major concern was that they could close the factory. I think that can only happen if the debt is for rent.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

• 2 weeks later...
  • clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and provisions as are necessary for satisfying the basic domestic needs of you and your family

So, does that mean all those times you hear of people being left with their house entirely empty (on five-figure debts), the bailiffs have acted illegally?

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Illegally or unlawfully, one of them....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

This is a LIMITED COMPANY debt. This means the debt is limited to what the company owes/owns. My husband owns the machines on a personal basis like we own the tv, settee, cooker etc. The LIMITED COMPANY owns nothing.

The bailiff can take a persons personal things if the person owes the debt thats why they can enter a house to take things.

If the LIMITED COMPANY had owned the machines, vehicles etc they could have been taken.

Complicated I know. Having a limited company protects the owner from losing their home in the case of a major debt.

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks