Royal Mail Customer Service Centre address - Need to put 'freepost'? - @RoyalMail @RoyalMailHelp

Posted (edited)

I made a complaint about my redirection to Royal Mail via phone. Royal mail send me a letter saying if I had any more issues I can contact them via the address on the top of the letter. That address was/is:

Customer Service Centre,
P O Box 740,
Stoke on Trent,
ST1 5XZ

Within the letter the staff member said the address is a freepost address. 

I found the need to contact the customer service centre again. So I wrote a letter to the Customer Service Centre. As I'm unable to post the letter myself, I asked a colleague to post it to the address above. I also told her that it was a freepost address. So, as 'freepost' was missing from the address she had decided to write the address on the envelope as: 

FREEPOST
P O Box 740
Stoke on Trent
ST1 5XZ

Any ideas if the letter will make to to the recipient?

I think she may have felt that as the address did not have 'freepost', sorting office may delay or not deliver the item as they may not be aware the address is freepost Is it common knowledge (among postal staff) that the address is freepost and do we not need to specify this on the address?

I'm attaching the letter from Royal Mail that said the address is freepost:

letter from Royal Mail with Customer Service address that says it's freepost

Edited by parity4all

yes write freepost as the 1st line of address and pop it in a postbox

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sorry that didnt come out properly

its a general centre for lots of royal mail depts

you needed to have used 

4 hours ago, parity4all said:

Customer Service Centre,
P O Box 740,
Stoke on Trent,
ST1 5XZ

but put freepost as the 1st line

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Posted (edited)

Turns out she's put:

Customer Service Centre
Customer Service Advisor
FREEPOST
P O Box 740
Stoke on Trent
ST1 5XZ

Pretty sure it's not conventional to put the person/job title of the person it's addressed to after the team/department, but I can't see it causing too much confusion.

The FREEPOST soon afterwards makes sense. From what I've seen on the RoyalMail twitter account that's the usual practice. See tweet attached:

royal mail tweet with customer service centre address previously based in Plymouth

The tweet is from 2012 with the same P.O.Box number but Customer Service Centre was then in Plymouth then, not Stoke on Trent. Can't see the convention changing though.

but put freepost as the 1st line

I think the Freepost at the top comes only if it's accompanied by a code or a name. As mentioned in this website. See (5) below (note that the webpage is not from the royal mail website):

Royal Mail Customer Service
Those who wish to get in touch with the Royal Mail Customer Service can make use of the following ways;
1. These users and customers can make use of the online tools like the “Help Centre” to find instant help online
2. They can call on the number 03457 740 740 to get in touch with the advisors
3. These customers and users can also fill out the online forms uploaded on the website
4. The users can also choose to get in touch with the customer service department of the company through the text-phone 03456 000 606
5. To write to the company about the queries and the problems the postal address is;
Freepost RLZL-LHZH-JZHT, Royal Mail Customer Services, PO Box 740, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7YB

I wouldn't use that address these days though, for the simple reason mentioned before. i.e. customer Service centre seems to be now based in Stoke on Trent. 

BTW, just discovered from the Royal Mail Website, it seems businesses/charities can buy a licence for a Freepost name. So, we (customer/donor) only need to put 'Freepost [NAME OF BUSINESS/Charity]
when writing to business/charity. 

Wonder how come Royal Mail don't have a similar Freepost name for Customer Service Centre. Something like...'Freepost Royal Mail Customer Service Centre'. Just one line.

Could it be to prevent customers complaining about trivial matters, such as postie not closing the gate after delivering mail or postie walking across the grass lawn. At the moment, only select few customers are aware of the Customer Service Centre freepost address, and we have to write a few lines for the address, not a single line.

Seems there is a ROyal Mail Customer Services in Plymouth, as opposed to Customer Service Centre (in Stoke on trent). Address is listed on: 

WWW.RESOLVER.CO.UK

Find the contact details including Royal Mail Complaints email & phone number with Resolver

Royal Mail Customer Services
FREEPOST
Plymouth
PL9 7YB

as: Royal Mail Customer Services, FREEPOST, PO Box 740, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7YB

But that is talking about making a claim for loss, damage, delay. SO it seems depending on the query/issue we may have to contact one or the other address. i.e. Plymouth or stoke. Not sure if they are other customer services related addresses depending on the area of expertise. i.e. loss/damage/delay, redirection of mail etc.

Edited by dx100uk
formatting