Information on Fast Tax Rebates Ltd and the EIS scam

honeybee13
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This thread is for sharing information on the firm and its owner, Alan Francis O'Hara.

It could be helpful to estimate how much is involved in rebates that were wrongly claimed by this company. I've done a rough calculation of the figures on the threads we have here now and people are being asked to return an average of around £8k - on top of the balance of rebates sent to them by FTR.

Please could everyone tell us how many people they know who have been caught up in this so we can figure out an estimated total?

And do you know roughly what other people are being asked to repay HMRC, not counting the money that FTR returned to them?

@dixon2094 @Alvinsmalvin @Schipoo @sleigh30@BradX

Thank you for anything you can add.

HB

Edited by slick132
amended username links for dixon2094 and schipoo
  • Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks Honeybee.

No discussions please on this thread - it's just to confirm :-

1. How much was refunded in total (to you and to FTR).

2. How many others may be known to you.

Thanks

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

All you can do is register disputes with HMRC and report to everyone you can think of.  

Unfortunately, this could drag on for a long time and even if HMRC plus others are investigating FTR, they won't tell you this.  

If those involved were OK to involve media, it might be worth thinking about this.  Perhaps a financial journalist will have the contacts to shorten this saga from what could take years to a matter of months. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

On 18/08/2021 at 20:05, Schipoo said:

At least 11 people I know have been scammed by FTR 

We are being asked to pay between 5 and 12 thousand pounds on top of what was paid to us

Thank you, Shipoo.

It would be great if the other people here would add their figures please.

The main way to tackle this seems to be by strength in numbers, to get people higher up the chain to take notice of this.

HB

@dixon2094 @Alvinsmalvin @Schipoo @sleigh30@BradX @Mickla

Please all note that I'll be posting a series of Q's here which I want short simple answers to, so this can be considered en masse by the Site Team and an outside organisation that may be your best chance of help.

You'll be notified when I post the numbered Q's here and please reply as soon as poss using the respective Q numbers.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

@dixon2094 @Alvinsmalvin @Schipoo @sleigh30 @BradX @Mickla

Questions for FTR scam victims

Please answers Q's as briefly as poss but include relevant info. If we need more info, we will tell you.

Please number each answer so it relates to the appropriate question.

Avoid posting anything personal that identifies you.

1.      Did FTR initially contact you, or you contacted them.

2.      Who did you speak to at first and later.

3.      What did they say they could do for you.

4.      What documents did you provide them with, and by what means.

5.      Did you give them info like N I No, UTR.

6.      Did you sign a paper form of authority and send it to FTR.

7.      Did you agree to any T&C’s online using a Tick Box.

8.      Were you told anything about investing in an EIS.

9.      Were you told anything about claiming EIS tax relief.

10.   Did you know FTR would be repaid any tax refund.

11.   Were you told about what percentage FTR would keep of any tax refund.

12.   When FTR sent you money, did they include any info about how this was made up.

13.   Did they inform you how much of the refund they kept.

14.   Were you shown any documents seeking your approval or signature during the process.

If you know others affected by FTR who have not already registered here on CAG, please get them to register then start a new thread.

If you have any other comments, please post them on your own thread, not here.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply, Brad. Could you confirm if you contacted them or they contacted you please? It could be that you were recommended by a friend or colleague but it would help us to help you if you could tell us. :)

HB

Hi Brad and thanks for the short simple answers.

When replying please confirm the total amount HMRC repaid to FTR and the amount they paid over to you.

The whole amount claimed was £12000 I received £4000 in my bank from FTR.

1. They rang me. i think my number was passed on to them

2.Claire, I was never given a surname

3.Check if eligible for tax rebate

4. P60-Email

5.Yes. I gave NI number and they obtained UTR 

6.No

7.No

8.No

9.No

10.No

11.No

12.No

13.No

14.No

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BradX said:

HMRC are asking for £7866, paid to me by FTR was £2626.

1. Yes by phone, I presume my number was passed by someone in my office I used to work at. 

2.Claire, I will have to try find something with full name.

3.Check if eligible for tax rebate

4. P60-Email

5.Yes

6.No

7.No

8.No

9.No

10.No

11.No

12.No

13.No

14.No

I received £5380 FTR Ltd got £11560.86 HMRC want £16940.87

1. They contacted me, I believe someone I knew had had a rebate and gave my email address 

2. Alan Maxwell of Maxwell Accountancy Ltd emailed me, then someone called Clare texted me

3. I was told it was for expenses I was entitled to but hadn’t claimed 

4. I emailed my NI and 3 years P60’s

5. yes NI and yes UTR

6. No

7. No

8. No

9. No

10. No

11. No

12. No

13. No

14. No

• Thanks 1

New Q's for all to address :-

15. Approx date of 1st contact with FTR.

16. Approx date of FTR pay't to you.

17. At what stage did you provide FTR with your bank details.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I was paid £1285.98. HMRC are asking me to pay back £3078.71 (not including interest). I have no idea how much FTR actually got.

1.      Did FTR initially contact you, or you contacted them.

They operate via referral scheme, so you have to be referred by someone who has already used/is using their services. Here are the questions you must answer on their "initial" email"

Who introduced you - 
Has the scheme been fully explained to you -
Name -
Full address and postcode - 
Date you moved into your address -
Date of birth - 
Clear copies of your 2017/18 and 2018/19 P60 - 
Mobile number -
National Insurance Number -
Have you been self employed before -
If so, o you have unique tax reference number - 
Do you have a government gateway account - 
If so, what is the gateway number and password - 

2.      Who did you speak to at first and later.

Only spoken to "agents" with generic names like "Claire" over email and text. Nobody via the phone. No surnames.

3.      What did they say they could do for you.

The could claim a tax rebate based on previous 3 years' tax payments. That's it. Nothing about "how", or "why".

4.      What documents did you provide them with, and by what means.

Full tax history which they sent instructions on how to obtain from HMRC. Then, they asked for my UTR (I presume self-assessment UTR) which they applied for and an activation code, both sent through post and I sent to them over text.

5.      Did you give them info like N I No, UTR.

Yes, on request. Both NI and UTR.

6.      Did you sign a paper form of authority and send it to FTR.

No. I signed nothing, or agreed to any T&Cs.

7.      Did you agree to any T&C’s online using a Tick Box.

No, as above.

8.      Were you told anything about investing in an EIS.

No. The first I have ever even heard about EIS is when HMRC sent their letter.

HOWEVER, I have just checked my text log with them, and they did mention something about an investment. The reason being, I had gone onto my HMRC portal and saw the balance of the total "rebate". I worked out 30% of this and then asked FTR if that was the total I was to get. They said "no", and then replied with the attached message....

9.      Were you told anything about claiming EIS tax relief.

No, as above.

10.   Did you know FTR would be repaid any tax refund.

Yes, they said they take about 70% and I'm left with 30% - ish.

11.   Were you told about what percentage FTR would keep of any tax refund.

As above.

12.   When FTR sent you money, did they include any info about how this was made up.

They advised through the process how it was calculated. And you could go on your HMRC account and see the totals. They applied for the full 3 year's tax payments to be rebated - almost as if I have never paid tax for 3 years - is how I understand it from looking at the docs.

13.   Did they inform you how much of the refund they kept.

Not the exact amount, no.

14.   Were you shown any documents seeking your approval or signature during the process.

No. The only thing they did was on the "initial referral email", which you send to them with all your details, is question 2: "Has the scheme been fully explained to you". To which, I believe we all put "yes". However, I answered on the basis my friend had "fully explained" the scheme to me, and he had no idea of EIS either. Just "they can get you a rebate". FTR had explained nothing to me, not at the beginning, during, or after.

31 March 2020

24 June 2020

Around 20 June 2020

Text Screenshot.pdf

You can delete #18 as I have added info on #19, sorry.

• Thanks 1

1.      Did FTR initially contact you, or you contacted them. - I contacted them

2.      Who did you speak to at first and later. - Claire, no surname

3.      What did they say they could do for you. - Recover rebated tax from previous tax years with no consequence

4.      What documents did you provide them with, and by what means. - Full tax history, P60s, UTR (which I had to register for and provide information of)

5.      Did you give them info like N I No, UTR. - Both

6.      Did you sign a paper form of authority and send it to FTR. - No signing of any paperwork/contract

7.      Did you agree to any T&C’s online using a Tick Box. - No

8.      Were you told anything about investing in an EIS. - No

9.      Were you told anything about claiming EIS tax relief. - No

10.   Did you know FTR would be repaid any tax refund. - I was advised they would take a large percentage of what I am owed (60-70%)

11.   Were you told about what percentage FTR would keep of any tax refund. - 60-70%

12.   When FTR sent you money, did they include any info about how this was made up. - None at all

13.   Did they inform you how much of the refund they kept. - No exact figures, I found this out myself via. HMRC

14.   Were you shown any documents seeking your approval or signature during the process. - No

On 02/09/2021 at 21:46, slick132 said:

New Q's for all to address :-

Thanks.

please can you send me the questions to answer?

Hi Fountain and welcome to CAG

Can you also answer the 3 further Q's I put in post #14 above.

Please start your own thread in the HMRC forum to give us some info about your situation. In particular, let us know where you are re HMRC seeking any refund from you; and if you have sent HMRC a SAR yet.

Lastly, on this thread, please tell us approx what refund you rec'd from FTR and the total HMRC are reclaiming from you.

And Blog81,

Can you please tell us the amount you rec'd from FTR and the amount HMRC are reclaiming from you.

Can I just say regarding what hmrc were told the rebate was for… I was told by FTR ltd that it was for expenses I hadn’t claimed on 3 tax years…I advised hmrc of that when I got my UTR number and it states that phone call on my SAR so if that’s what the rebate was for why did they pay out on the EIS? 

• Like 1

Hi Schipoo,

A good point but not enough to counter HMRC's present case against you.

However, see what Dixon posted above at point 1. and tell us if FTR said anything to you by phone or text about needing your log-in details to access your HMRC account.