HMRC asking for rebate back - Fast Tax Rebates Ltd scam

BradX

Hi,

last year a company called FTR Ltd contacted me and advised i was possibly due a tax rebate. I agreed to let them check, they came back to me a couple of weeks later and said I was due a rebate for the sum of £2626 which they would pay into my bank.

I received a letter from Hmrc a couple of weeks ago requesting a sum of £7800 or send proof of the enterprise scheme I had invested in. I’d never heard of an enterprise scheme or had this amount of money. A self assessment has been done in my name which I was never told about and would never of agreed to.  

I was also never told about any investment scheme. I have reported this to action fraud, emailed HMRC with a crime reference number and asked them for a SAR and to put this on hold until it’s looked into as this company had scammed me. I’ve not heard anything back yet apart from that they are looking into it. The deadline was 7th aug,

I’m getting a little worried as I’ve not heard anything back. I’m not sure what to do next or how to try resolve this as the company that have made the fraudulent claim in my name are now where to be found. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• honeybee13 changed the title to HMRC asking for rebate back - Fast Tax Rebates Ltd scam

Hello, welcome to CAG.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've come into contact with this firm. We have other threads about them and the same thing seems to have happened to you, sadly. You've done the right thing by telling Action Fraud and sending the SAR. I don't know about the deadline, but site team member @slick132is great on HMRC matters - I expect they'll be around later.

If FTR Ltd followed the same MO as with our other members, they asked you for access to your online Government Gateway account and then the code that HMRC sent you in the post? Please have a read of the other threads here. Nobody has reached a conclusion so far, but you'll understand a bit more about what's happened.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

7 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

Hello, welcome to CAG.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've come into contact with this firm. We have other threads about them and the same thing seems to have happened to you, sadly. You've done the right thing by telling Action Fraud and sending the SAR. I don't know about the deadline, but site team member @slick132is great on HMRC matters - I expect they'll be around later.

If FTR Ltd followed the same MO as with our other members, they asked you for access to your online Government Gateway account and then the code that HMRC sent you in the post? Please have a read of the other threads here. Nobody has reached a conclusion so far, but you'll understand a bit more about what's happened.

Best, HB

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quick. Yes seems the same, I received a code from HMRC. I’ll have a read through the other threads. Thank you 

Brad, are you able to access your self-assessment form on the HMRC website please? It doesn't help your cause at the moment, but dixon2094's tax record shows that the company FTR said he invested in was linked to Alan O'Hara who set up FTR Ltd.

I know that the EIS question is on page Ai 2 of a tax return but I'm not sure where the company name is shown. Maybe @dixon2094 could tell us where they found the information on their online return.

As you may have read, there's no public list of companies that are allowed to run an EIS so you can't check, but it's very disappointing that HMRC may not be checking.

But if you could tell us which company FTR put on your tax returns, it could come in useful later on.

Did you change your password after you got the rebate? If you didn't, once you've tried to find the information for us, I think it's worth doing that.

HB

Hi @honeybee13 I don’t know, I’ve never tried to, I’ve never received any details for the self assessment, I didn’t even know one had been opened until last month. I’ll check the paperwork I received from HMRC last month. If it’s not do I request this from HMRC? I’ve never done a self assessment so not sure what to do or where to go for it?

Thanks 

What FTR normally did was to ask for P60s and access to your online account, then they submitted what suited them. Does this sound familiar?

Have you ever used your online tax account? And do you have any paperwork for what happened?

HB

Hi yes that’s sounds familiar, no never accessed it. I didn’t get any paperwork about it. I was under the impression it was just overpaid tax. I never knew they did any of this. 😔

Well, I think it's worth trying to access your government gateway account for your own peace of mind in the future. You don't want anyone connected with FTR accessing your tax records again, which I think they could because you gave them the code.

Did you give them your P60s?

ETA: link about online tax accounts.

WWW.GOV.UK

Sign in to or set up a personal tax account to check and manage HMRC records: includes Income Tax, change of...

HB

Ok I’ll do that thank you. Yes I gave it them, ive emailed HMRC as well to take any 3rd party off my account. I don’t even know how to access my tax records? Do you think it’s worth ringing HMRC? I’ve never done or been through anything like this. It’s really worrying me. 

Hi Brad,

Good to see you've signed up here on CAG - if you know others who've been scammed by FTR, get them to do the same. Strength in numbers ! 

See what comes back in response to the SAR - that may tell you what EIS was claimed for.

I'm sure your're already aware of the other 4 cases running here (Dixon, Alvin, Schipoo & Sleigh) but please read through each of them to see what's going on so far.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick, 

I will read through them, thanks for getting back to me. 

I’ve chased an update from HMRC they just said they are looking into. I’ll go through the others as you suggested.

thanks