UK debt living in Canada.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 807 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have about £20,000 debt in the UK all unsecured spread across Barclays and NatWest. 

It's 2 Credit Cards and one loan.

I've been living in Canada for just over a year and the conversion from CDN $ to GBP £ is killing my bank account.

I had tried to inform Barclays and NatWest via phone that I was moving to Canada even attempted to give them my address over the phone however they would not accept it as it was not in the UK.

I will be sending proof of my residency and a copy of my Ontario ID which shows my address.

My wife is a fly by numbers and do everything the right way and I am considering this as the only option left as bankruptcy would affect me in Canada as I have credit here. 

Would I be stopped at the airport in the UK if returned to visit for a holiday? 

Also is there anything else I should include in the letter when I send my proof of residence? 

Also does anyone have tips for dealing with DCA's when they call or when I receive any letters?

Many thanks.

Stuff and all anyone can do as long as you have no assets in the uk.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Notify in writing of your Canadian address. They don't want to change your address on their records, as if they try to sell the debt on at some stage in the future, it will be worth less.   If they wanted to update your correspondence address on their records they could. There is normally a foreign default postcode they add ZZ01 or other workaround code, that allows a foreign address to be input.

You can add notes to your UK credit record  against the debts stating you are resident in Canada.  The credit reference agencies such as Experian do have  a process for this, but it is a hassle, as you need to provide ID evidence.  The reason you might do this, is that any debt buyer checking your credit record, should see your note.  Could prevent a CCJ being obtained in your absence. Some debt buyers obain CCJ's using last known UK address and then hope to use this later. e.g. debtor moves back to UK in the future.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

only if sending a CCa request to a powerless DCA.

this is the original creditor

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

none of their business!!

dx

and they

No harm in telling them, that you are registered for tax purposes in Canada.

Perhaps they cannot retain your account record, if you are no longer registered for tax in the UK.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 months later...

open

Thanks for reopening.

So I've had all the usual letters asking for repayment and I've now defaulted on the loan and credit card. 

I've received an email from NatWest saying because I do not have a repayment plan in place my accounts have been passed onto the Zinc group and they will work out a repayment plan. 

They are a UK based debt collectors if I'm not mistaken. Will I hear from them since I live in Canada or will they see I am no longer a resident of the UK and not even bother contacting me? 

I did not give NatWest my Canadian Phone number so I will likely only hear from Zinc via post or email. I assume it's best to just ignore

Many thanks in advance.

you ignore them anyway 

not BAILIFFS zero legal powers.

dx

and they