Just Another Hermes Lost Parcel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have read around on here and I'm just deciding what to do about a lost item that sold for £45. 

Not really bothered about the money but thought it would be interesting to go through the process so I am prepared if I have any higher value items go missing.

My question before I get any further into it is: How much detail does the item description need to contain?

The item in question was golf club components (shafts) & I declared the item as 'sports equipment'.  Would the vagueness of my declaration pose any problems down the line?

No you don't need to worry about detailed description of the item. As long as the items were correctly declaring the valuation was correctly declared then that's pretty well all you need.

Read closely around the Hermes stories on this forum. They seem all to follow the same pattern. Read up on the steps involved in taking a small claim in the County Court – because that's where it will go.

Did you get their so-called insurance? Did you use Hermes directly or through a broker?

Have Hermes actually confirmed that the item is lost?

You need to put a formal complaint and claim for the money in writing/email. Don't give a deadline but after about 10 days if they haven't responded to you or if they have refused you then we move to the next step which is to issue a letter of claim.

You can read about it all on the sub- forum. It's all the same. And yes, the experience will be a useful learning exercise and you will acquire transferable skills which will allow you to sue anyone else who gets in your way.

Specifics as requested on another thread:

• Item sent 27th July
  • Golf Club shafts
  • Sold for £45 (+ £8.50 P&P)
  • Declared as 'Sports Equipment'
  • Value stated as £45
  • No 'insurance' taken out
  • Booked with Hermes directly
  • Parcel lost 28th July (received at senders depot, went no further)

Not sure if Hermes count it as lost - just noticed today that on my active parcels I had the option to 'report as lost'.  Filled in their claim form (which has bizarre and unnecessary 'required' fields!) and refunded the buyer as he was being antsy.  

Speaking of email, I'm struggling to find where I should be sending them to.  I received an email from [email protected] but I haven't got anything back from them after replying to this address on Monday.  Hard to know if they are just slow or not responding, or my emails are clogging up some unchecked inbox in the ether

• Thanks 1

Absolutely correct to refund the buyer. It's not the buyers responsibility and to preserve your reputation, you should take full responsibility as quickly as possible – and then sort it out for yourself.

Send your written complaint/claim in and then let's know what happens in about 10 days time.

Of course they will knock you back. Start preparing your letter of claim and post a draft up here ready to send off.

Keep doing the reading – especially about the arguments relating to insurance because that will be one of their main arguments.

Quick update: I had not been focusing on this as have had a few other things to sort out, but got an ebay message yesterday from the buyer to say that he had received a delivery notification, but he's on holiday at the moment so the parcel could just be left outside his house! 

Hmm ah well.  Suppose I will just have to see what happens.

Glad I found this site though, it is great to have some idea of how to deal with courier companies in the future.  Thanks for your help BF, and for all your other helpful posts on other threads.  Makes one think that the internet isn't all bad!