Splitting up

Janerk

Posted (edited)

I have been living with my boyfriend for 9 years and he moved in with me and my children now 22 and 17 into my house that I own. He has paid me money every month towards food etc. Now we are splitting up and he wants half the equity in the house which is about £120k. He hasn't paid for anything to be done to the house like a conservatory etc. What is the law regarding this ? I got hung out to dry by my ex hubby and don't want the same to happen again. Thanks in advance. 

I have been living with my boyfriend for 9 years and he moved in with me and my children now 22 and 17 into my house that I own.

He has paid me money every month towards food etc. Now we are splitting up and he wants half the equity in the house which is about £120k.

He hasn't paid for anything to be done to the house like a conservatory etc.

What is the law regarding this ?

I got hung out to dry by my ex hubby and don't want the same to happen again. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

You aren’t married or in a civil partnership, so it depends on if a “constructive trust” has been formed.

Did he contribute to the mortgage?

What was the agreement or intent if he agreed to pay the bills? Was it (or can he claim it was)  “you pay the mortgage and I’ll pay the bills”?

There was nothing put down in stone, it was just a I'll give you this much a month towards the bills. 

Posted (edited)

Is the mortgage in joint names or are you the sole mortagee and who's name is on the deeds?

I have been through something similar and my ex was not entitled to a penny however I never asked her for a monthly contribution either so I don't know if that leaves you vulnerable, I would have thought not as long as it was to cover food and utilities only.

Additionally, has he moved out yet? Are you still sharing your space or has he moved into a spare room?  That's about intent for him to move out.

If you have split your relationship and he has said he intends to go then give him a date to leave, it's your house and you can ask him to leave.

Edited by Homer67
additional info