• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

caught using MIL's freedom pass - 50+ uses **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am new here and it seems that I have a big problem and I need your help!

Yesterday my husband was caught by inspector touching out my mom Freedom pass. My husband lied and said he just found it yestersay and decided to use it to save some money on travel bcoz he is not working regularly due to the pandemic. The inspector confiscated ny mom freedom pass and took my husband details. 

Today we received the standard letter to fill up the form on the back and to explain guilty/not guilty.

Now I am confused what to do. There is few details in the story. 

1- my mom is from Eastern Europe and have surname completely different from my husband he is with Asian origin. The picture of the pass as well dont make any connection btw them both. BUT my mom card is registered on the same address?!?! And I already reported it lost yesterday and received an email that new card is on the way in 5-7days.

2- my husband was using this card for about a year, but it was really irregular as he is on furlough and really not working that much, also touching his own card on mornings bcoz the freedom is not working in peek times.

3- my husband was caught on different station and not on the one that he usually uses the card to go to work.

4- my husband was caught about a year ago (or a bit more) "jumping" out. Then he said he is guilty and sorry and we paid the fine. Then he throw his oyster and bought a new one but his details are still within the record i think.

Now what we are worried is the court!

We are in process of buying a property and my husband also need a clear criminal record for his 2nd job so we need to avoid the court.

What should I do?

Should I find a lawyer?

How this can affect job and house-buying?

What is best to write in the letter- continue with the lie that he found the card and hope they will not check the freedom details OR say what really was and wait for the punish?

am really very scared and worried and all. I have seen the remorse letters and I will make a good one but which story to write?

I am scared that if I lie that he found it and then they find out that the address is the same and he is lying it can get worse.

Please any information and advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

You should certainly not lie. He should put an end to the dishonesty apart from anything else because you will be found out, it will catch up with you and the situation will be very very much worse.

Your best course of action would be simply to plead guilty and to explain how sorry you are and how you have taken a shock and they can be certain that it won't happen again and you would like to make reparations for any money that should have been paid.

Being completely honest and transparent is the only thing to do.

hi welcome to cag.

i pers would not worry about the previous uses of the card. there is no way they can tell who used the card, especially if it was sporadic, it could have been the legit card holder unless there is a distinct pattern of repeated travel? overall how many times in the last do you think he used the card?

the bottom line is repeated confirmed use will mean those are taken 'into consideration' (TIC) when/if a SJ court notice is given and he just signs them off, they will only charge for one the use when he was stopped.

you don't need a solicitor no. just a good grovelling letter.

you don't need to lie on the reply but you most certainly don't need to put your foot in it either and cough up to use they can't actually prove WAS him should they not mention the 'other uses'

answer my questions and lets see.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This is the letter we received. So the card is from new year. He maybe used it 15 time jan and feb, then completely not end of feb and full march and half april as we were abroad. Then half april, may, june, july maybe 3-4 times a week once a day from st. john wood station. He got caught on Tothenham. 

So do you say he need to explain that he lied about finding the card and explain that this is his mother in law card and he took it this day as he was out of pocket???? I am very worried that if he explain they may investigate further and catch him using it for long. On the other hand if he apologise for using the "found card" they may catch him lying if they check the freedom address. 

• dx100uk changed the title to caught using MIL's freedom pass -poss100+ uses

read upload attach the redacted letter as a PDF only

so not just a few times then, this could be almost 100 uses and there will obv be a pattern they will see. this puts it within the realms of being very difficult to get an out of court settlement, the fact he lied is immaterial really if the above is true

here are a few old threads on CAG

click the link go read them all

sadly few comeback and tell us how they got on 

lets see the letter please

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

good just the std letter they send everyone with offence(s) .

you need to respond by email within 10days.

as with reading the all the threads in the other link i posted earlier

you might find this one useful.

and they

Yes, it is the standard letter yes. I am noticing from the forum that most people using Freedom are receiving straight court letters few months after the offence. Now my husband received a letter on the next day. When he was asked to show the freedom pass he didnt know what is this as he was really not aware what is this, he knew it is just free oyster. So he finally showed it and lied to the inspector that he found it on the road and used it to save money. Is it possible that the inspector consider this as normal " not paid ticket" case and not a Freedom abuse case? And what if he just write:

I plead guilty and I am deeply sorry for using oyster card that doesnt belong to me. It was really stupid action and I apologise. I will never do it again. I didnt realise the seriousness of this crime till now.

Written this way he doesnt say he lied and he is not showing that this is Freedom pass. But he plead guilty and he knows he is wrong.

Is it possible that they believe he found it and not check any more details?!?!?? It is my mom card, she doesnt know anything about it and she will honestly kill me if she undestand what we did.

Hi.

It's hard for us to tell what TfL will think when they see your OH's response. As I understand it, TfL can check on usage of a Freedom card for the last two months but if you're lucky, they will only think about the last journey. We don't know.

The main thing is to stop using the card and reply to their letter honestly.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well,  you're not at court letter stage at the moment. Your OH needs to reply to TfL's letter.

When he replies, I would add something along the lines of he would be very grateful if TfL would allow him to repay the unpaid fare plus their reasonable costs in order to avoid a court case. Or something like that.

TfL don't like Freedom Card abuse and I think I'm right in saying that there's something on the back of the card that says it needs to be displayed with a photocard owned by the card holder, although I can't remember exactly.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

as i pointed there are examples of what to write, you need to fluff that out for sure expanding upon the impact a criminal record will have on you and whom are your dependants. going forward, employment , income .etc etc

it is worthy to note by looking at the threads here there are several whereby months of usage were listed in the TIC court charges sheet, so don't rely upon them not going back into history to look.

if they do then you will be very very lucky to avoid a Single Justice Procedure court claim

and they

• 2 months later...

Hello again,

my husband sent grovelling letter back In August. But no luck with it and now we received a court letter. I will attach copy of it and pls advice me what are now the options

Is there an option for ooc settlement or not?

Also I found out that if court and plead guilty then this will stay on his criminal record for 1 year.

Does that mean that his enhanced dbs will show clear after 1 year?

Also does that affect applications for mortgage, loans, etc?

Thank you in advance!

Also we have a copy of the list with the TIC 53 journeys

requisition to attend Mag Court - 53 uses.pdf

yes you can OOC even on the day.

so time to get grovelling again.

we didnt see your 1st one, so might be an idea to pop that up, so we can help poss improving your chances.

just under £400 is not too bad, we've seen double this for half as many journeys.

you key here will be remorse, payment of travel and proof since and damage a conviction will cause the familt going fwd.

it wont hurt mortgage nor credit nor dbs enhanced outside of 1yrs?, should it happen and you get a record.

and they

It used to be that an offence was never ‘spent’ for the purpose of an enhanced DBS : they were “enhanced” for a reason!.

This got altered in 2020.

for an eDBS Convictions,

i) for an adult,

ii) for an offence that didn’t attract a prison sentence (or suspended prison sentence),

iii) that aren’t on the list of offences that never get ‘filtered’,

now get filtered after 11 years.

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/what-will-be-filtered-by-dbs/

Edited by BazzaS

so 11yrs?

dx

and they

That’s what ‘unlock’ say.

Whether a Byelaw conviction is “recordable” (to show on any DBS) : I still haven’t seen a definitive answer for.

If not “recordable” whether it would show under “other information at chief officer’s discretion” on an eDBS : again, I’m not sure.

Posters don’t seem to come back to tell us / confirm one way or another……

Thank you for your replies. I am attaching the previous letter so you can help me do a better one now. I have read all the topics and examples in previous conversations.  Really really worried about it. I can't even sleep properly. 

Now...I have contacted a solicitor company just out of interest and they asked for £700 just to send letter to Tfl. Also they said in worst case scenario and criminal record this will be for 1 Yr. Just for the record and it may help others.

Now Bazza...I m confused...is it gonna be 11 years or 1 Yr on his criminal record and DBS?

Also on the court letter there is no the TFL email or any address for tfl. Do I send the grovelling letter to the same email as initially?

Thanks a lot for all your help! We are really stressed and ashamed! And we never knew this was so serious!

1ST BEGGING LETTER.pdf

A solicitor is a waste of money seriously..don't go there 

I'll pop back later to help 

Get some sleep. It's really no big deal 

Dx

and they

This is what I wrote... 

Do I need to mention the 53 journeys that he needs to pay or said like this "any fines charged" is enough? I mean should I be more specific?

Thanks

Dear sir or madam,
I am writing to you again and I would really like to stress to you that I am genuinely, extremely sorry for my actions and I want to ensure you that I will not do anything like this ever again! I feel very shameful for my behaviour!

As a sole income earner for my family a criminal record would be devastating for me as my employment relies upon a clean criminal history. I work two jobs in order to meet ends. I do dry cleaning and security job.

For my security job I need a clean enhanced DBS and if I get a  criminal record it means I will not be able to work which will make my financial situation even harder.

I am a hard working man, with two small children (2 and 5 year old). My wife is not working as she is looking after the kids. I am also trying to support my sister in Pakistan who became a widow last year at age of 33

It has been hard year for me with the pandemic and all. I pride myself on my integrity and honesty and this is my first ever offence of any legal matter. And it is surely the last! I am really upset that I made this mistake and now I'm in this awful situation.

I am asking TFL to allow me to pay the reasonably incurred costs in full to dispose of the matter without court actioning order to prevent getting a criminal record. I will take full responsibility for covering the cost of any fines charged.

Once again I deeply apologise, I am very stressed and anxious about the situation and I really really hope that you can show some leniency in this matter.

Please find attached a proof of my security job and the DBS that is required.
Yours faithfully,

“Did you ask them specifically about an enhanced DBS, or just the routine DBS?”

So : did you ask the solicitors about an eDBS (regarding when you got told “1 year”), or might their reply of “1 year” been for the standard DBS?

i would be adding proof of how since the incident and going forward payment of relevant travel costs has happen, ie by a season ticket etc. 

i think TBH you are apologising too many times . start the letter by acking that you did wrong by doing xyz, then follow with the reason why it was done, and that you willingly admitted such to the inspector. then apologise inc being sorry for wasting staff time etc.

then outline how a criminal record would destroy and effect xyz in yours and other lives and state how payment since has been made and going forward.

then ask for an OOC settlement meeting all reasonable admin costs and payment for the journeys made.

then end with the hope it can can be settled without a criminal record, and lastly another sorry/grovel.

and they