Faulty Car! Ford/Car supermarket/Startline Motor Fianance

kjbxxx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, 

Here's the story, bit of a tricky one. 

I purchased a 17 plate Ford Fiesta from Car Supermarket in Sept 2019 on a HP agreement with Startline. 

2 days after the car was delivered, the engine management light came on. I called the dealer who advised me that the car still has manufacturers warranty. As my closest ford centre was over an hour away, the only time I could get there was in March 2020.

They advised me that I needed a new catalytic converter but it had to be ordered. I drove my car home and was waiting for a call from them to get booked in after the part arrived. Well a week or so after my original appointment, we went into a COVID-19 lockdown. I did not actually hear from the garage again. 

Sept 2020 comes around and now my car is out of warranty but my engine management light is still on. A recent diagnosis that ford asked me to do quoted the work at around £1k!

I am now trying to put a claim through Ford Goodwill as they looked at the car while it was still in warranty and it did not get repaired through no fault of my own. However, the ford centre I took it to has now closed and they can't find the record of my visit. So this is looking very unlikely to be successful. 

I contacted the garage I purchased the car from and they are saying that it has been too long to do anything about it. But the fact that the light came on 2 days after I got the car tells me it was turned off before hand and the pre delivery inspection was not thorough. I have also contacted Startline who have told me they can't help me. 

Furthermore, a car should not even need a new catalytic converter at 4 years old, let alone 2 years! 

What do you guys suggest that I do? 

Topics merged.....please do not start numerous topics on the same matter.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Please can you tell us the name of the dealer. How old was the vehicle when you bought it? How many miles? How much did you pay for it?

Does anybody have any record of the fact that you complain about the engine management light just a few days after you bought it? Is there anything in writing? Do you record your calls?

How many miles have you done since you purchased the vehicle? How many miles should a catalytic converter normally last?

Of course I expect that you realise that you haven't helped yourself at all by allowing this to go on for four years without dealing with it and you have certainly made things very much more complicated – assuming that there is a solution at all.

Like many purchasers of used cars you allow yourself to be conned into thinking that the warranty is the only set of rights that you have. If that the warranty is simply some bonbons which are given to you by the dealer or the manufacturer so that you keep your mouth shut and you lose sight of your rights. As you appear to have done.

If you had written to the dealer immediately when this problem occurred, you would have then activated your right to reject the vehicle within the first 30 days of ownership and they would have been obliged to replace it – at your option. Alternatively you could have insisted on a repair and if the repair had failed or they had refused then you would have your right to reject the vehicle.

As it is, I think you are in a difficult situation because although you say that it is not your fault that you didn't follow it up, who are you able to blame? If you can point the finger squarely at the dealer then you may well have a case. If you are saying that it's not your fault because the delay was simply brought about because of the pandemic situation then I don't rate your chances.

There is no doubt that the dealer should have reacted in the first place and not try to fob you off with a warranty. Similarly, there is no doubt that you should have insisted on your rights at the beginning and you would have been an excellent position