Car stolen, question about insurance. Please help!

Danny910
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car got stolen yesterday with my private plates on it.

I was totally unaware that the garage I bought the car from hadn't changed the registration plate over from the old one to the private one which he said he would do. I only found this out when the police ran my private plate and it didn't come up with anything.

So I gave them the original plate and then the details came up. The car is insured as the private registration on my car insurance policy. I haven't received the v5 yet as I only got the car 3 weeks ago. So I'm assuming when I get the v5 it will be in the original plate number not the private one.

Will this void my insurance although the actual vehicle is insured and shows as insured on the MID website?

Hello, welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear about your car.

People should be along to advise later, please bear with us until they're able to get here. :)

I've edited in a few paragraphs to your post, please try to leave some spaces in what you type to make it easier for the advisers to read.

Best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

No it should not invalidate your Insurance, provided the car is the same as you told the Insurers.

But you will have to explain this to the Insurers, as the V5 won't match the reg you told them. The garage should provide a letter confirming if required.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

One thought that comes to mind is to make sure the Police are aware of the mix up. I can imagine most thieves change the car's number plate after theft, but if not, and the Police add your vehicle's details to their ANPR database using the car's original number plate it'll never be picked up. They'll need to know to record the car under your private plate.

Thanks for the reply. They did get notified as soon as possible. I did enter the details on isitnicked.com right after it was stolen to report it on there and thats when I found out there was something wrong.

I then entered the original and thats when my details did come up correctly. I then notified the police right away of the error.

The police have now filed my case and there will be no further investigation as it hasn't been found yet.

You should also prepare yourself for the loss of the Private Plates if the vehicle is not recovered. Unless the plates are on retention, there does need to be a donor vehicle for the transfer.

It is possible that if the garage failed to transfer the plates, that DVLA will still have them allocated to your previous vehicle, in which case you need to quickly prevent the change of keeper or again lose the PP's.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you