SSE massive bill about to land!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, bit of an odd one here - and I'm at my wits end, frankly.

We have a standard meter - once in a while someone comes round to read it - other times they ask me for a reading, which I supply. Oddly, though, whenever a bill arrived, the reading was always "estimated".

The last time I received a request for a reading, back in June, I submitted the new reading - I was then contacted by the meter reading company who said that the reading was outside of the expected range - could I please take a photograph of the meter just to make sure. I took the photo and sent it to them to confirm that my reading was correct, which they confirmed and said that they'd submit to SSE.

The bill comes through and, guess what? Yup - it's estimated!

At this point I start to think that something's not right and compare the estimated reading (80822) against the reading that I'd taken (92676) - a difference of 11,854! Now I'm thinking "wow - that could be a couple of hundred quid that I owe them" and attempt to work out what the difference is - based on 17.93p per kWh, that's an outstanding amount of £2,125.42!

What the hell??

Anyhow - on the 1st of July I contact them and tell them that I already submitted a reading - and what's this estimated 80822 reading about?? They apologise and take a new reading from me (92808) and assure me that it has now been recorded.

A few days go by and I get another email saying that my bill is now ready - I go and have a look at it - yup, you guessed it, it's estimated!

So, on the 16th of July, I call them again - I'm now starting to get a bit wound up by this - why are they doing this? Is it because it's likely that they'd have to write off the extra? I tell the person on the phone that I have already submitted two readings - neither of which are anywhere near what's on the bill and both of which have been ignored. The operator is, once again, extremely apologetic and asks me to give her another reading (92972 this time) and that an amended bill will be produced within the next 3 to 5 working days.

On Friday 23rd I receive an email saying that my new bill is ready... This time it says that the bill is based on the reading that I gave them! But the reading is 81656! I've *NEVER* given them that number! They're closed over the weekend so, first thing this morning I'm on the phone to them - they tell me that I phoned in that reading on the 22nd (I didn't) plus, even if I had, the new bill takes 3 to 5 working days - this one came out the next damn day! Someone there has just entered some random number and said that it's the reading that I gave them!

What do I do? There's no way in hell that I can afford to pay £2,000+ extra - and, I may add, doesn't entering random numbers as readings count as some sort of fraud?

Start off by sending them a subject access request. This is always the way to begin any dispute – especially a billing dispute against a utilities company.

You need to go about information gathering – very methodically before you launch into any action. Although it will take 30 days, it really isn't worth beginning until you have the full story.

Presumably you have kept the photographs et cetera that you have taken?

And in future – as a lesson – start taking photographs of every time you take a meter reading

While getting a SAR going two other things I 'd check:

1.  Is the meter number that is shown on their bills correct, ie is it the same as the number that's on your meter?

2. How often do you get a new bill normally? Quarterly? Monthly? In June you read it to be 92676 and they estimated it at 80822. If you get Quarterly bills what reading was shown on the bill they sent you in March/April? Was that shown as an Estimated reading or a Customer reading?

Which company are you with? [EDIT sorry, It's in the thread title, SSE] Have you changed supplier recently, or have you been with them for a long time?

Do you get just electricity from them or gas as well?

• I agree 1

And to add – check that the day readings and the night readings haven't been transposed.

Believe it or not there are several cases on this forum where the meters have been connected the wrong way round

why don't you register on the SSE website and input regular, correct readings yourself?

SSE.CO.UK

Find out how to submit a meter reading online or by phone, and learn more on how we use your reading.

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I either have someone knock on the door or a get a letter asking me to submit a reading - which I do through their web site (so I am signed up). The problem is that they've been ignoring the reading and coming out with an estimate!

Edited by Mandorallan

well they cant ignore them if you do it direct to their website.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I did it on their web site

- I got an estimated bill

- they'd ignored the reading.

Their own people came out and read it

- they'd ignored the reading.

I rang them and got the operator to update the reading (three times!)

- not only had they ignored the reading,

they reset it to an estimated value! 

The last time they set it to a much lower figure that I never gave them, but shows on the bill as the current reading!

Have you sent the SAR?

Well I think you should make sure you do. I suggested it seven hours ago and the more this discussion goes, the more it is clear that you need to know what information they have on file

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so - the CAB suggested that I put in one of their standard letters demanding that they adjust my bill as, by OFGEM's rules, they can't bill for anything older than a year (to stop exactly this - estimated bill piling up a huge outstanding balance). So far I've not heard a peep from them - not even an acknowledgement that they've received either of the letters. Do I go to OFGEM now?

hows the sar going.

and they

they only have 30days

and they

inform the ICO they have failed

pers i'd not be sending any pointless letter tennis until you have the data.

• I agree 1

and they

If they don't respond to the sar then the next step will be to send them a letter of claim and then to issue a county court claim.

Keep us updated

Just had the following land in my email:

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Complaint Reference:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

An update on your complaint

I would like to apologise that you have had reason to raise a complaint with SSE and want to reassure you that I am doing everything I can to help resolve this matter for you.  I would also like to thank you for the patience you have shown while we work towards a resolution.

I am in receipt of your letter dated 27th July 2021 and I understand you are requesting a Subject Access Request for all information we hold about you.  

I tried to call you but could not reach you so I left a voicemail message on your mobile telephone number and also I sent a text message.  I have also sent off the form for a Subject Access Request to be sent to you. This information to be gathered and sent to you via email within one calendar month.

As all actions have not been taken to resolve your complaint, I have added your complaint into our diary and you will receive a call back from a member of our team within the next 6 weeks. However if you would like to discuss this sooner, please get in touch on: 0345 071 9853 where one of my colleagues will be happy to help. Our lines are open from 0830-1700.

We've not had any phones ring (so they may have an incorrect number for us) - it's taken them almost a month just to acknowledge the SAR...

Have you received the form but they say they have sent you?

Dear xxx

Reference number xxx  -- Letter of Claim

Thank you for your message dated xxx date concerning the subject access request which I sent to you on the 27th of July.

I note that it seems that you have not even started to fulfil the statutory disclosure request despite the fact that the 30-day deadline  runs from the date that you received the request.

To give you a little extra margin we will say that it was received by you on the 1st of August 2021 and this means that if I do not receive the disclosure by the 30th of August that you will have breached your statutory obligations under the Data Protection Act.

You say that you have sent me a form but no form has been received and furthermore no telephone calls have been received and no messages have been left on my voicemail service.

In any event  it is clear from the data protection rules and confirmed on the website of the Information Commissioner that you are not entitled to require any particular formalities to be completed.  The only condition for supplying me with the statutory disclosure is that you are satisfied as to my identity.

Given that you have no problem sending bills to my address and also discussing other aspects of my account with me at my address or my email address, there is clearly no question as to my identity.

Even if there were questions as to my identity you would not be entitled to use this to delay the 30-day deadline. It is clear from the information commissioner’s website that you must start preparing the data disclosure as soon as you receive the request in any form  and then as long as you are satisfied as to my identity you must make the  disclosure.

The message which you have just sent me confirm that you have received my subject access request but it suggests very strongly that you will not be complying with your statutory obligations on time.  This is causing me distress and I hope that the explanation that I have given above as to how to comply with the data protection rules is helpful to you and will result in a full disclosure of all data you hold on me without any more of  this nonsense by the expiry of a deadline on the 30th of August.

However,  and for the avoidance of doubt, if you do not comply with your statutory obligations then I shall begin a County Court action against you for breach of your statutory duty at the end of 14 days from the date of this letter and without any further notice to you.

Yours

Only  send this letter if you are absolutely prepared to go ahead with your threat to begin a claim on day 15. Don't Bluff