• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBOS Unclearing a Cheque!

spuzzcake
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All,

I paid a cheque in at my RBOS Account which cleared yesterday. It was for £500, last night at 11.50 pm I withdrew £300 and at 12.10 I withdrew the last £200. This morning my internet banking is showing the cash withdrawals along with the £500 leaving my account for the cheque not clearing! So my balance now sits at MINUS £500! It's like RBOS have uncleared a cheque that I've taken all the funds out for. I am on my way to the branch this afternoon to see what's going on. Has anyone come across this before? Does anyone know why this may have happened? Am I entitled to the £500 from the cheque or will I be expected to bring the account back to £0 myself? I have Incapacity benefit going into that account tomorrow which I won't be able to access if it's overdrawn as I have no overdraft facility!

Mark.

I went to the branch who have basically said that I will have to pay back the £500! They are (kindly!) waving the charges for going overdrawn but I will still be charged interest. I have lodged a complaint and they are going to get back to me.... Anybody come across this before?!

Had the cheque been returned unpaid (in other words had it bounced)?

It had definately cleared? There is a difference between 'available balance' and 'account balance'...

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

Yeh this sucks but im sure somewhere i've seen on their websites that any payment by cheque is subject to 24hours clearance, they can withdraw the funds from your account if there are any problems with it so yeh you will have to pay it back.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Have you contacted the person who gave you the money to get the money off them, after all, they haven;t been debited with £500.00 so they still owe you the money. Just a thought

I came I saw I helped. I could do no more.

Spuzzcake, you are way short of details at the moment.

First of all-the cheque- was it a personal cheque, do you know the person who gave it to you, when did you bank it and was it drawn on another

RBOS branch or even a building society.

Did your bank tell you why the cheque had not been paid?

Of course it had cleared or I wouldn't have been able to withdraw it! I withdrew it from a cash machine. The day before it said Balance £500.00 Available £0.00. Then just before I withdrew the money it said Balance £500.00 Available £500.00. Then the next working say they are saying it hadn't actually cleared and has now bounced. Why would I be able to withdraw the money if the cheque hadn't cleared in the first place?!

My problem is with the bank just now as I will struggle to get hold of the person who send the cheque.

The cheque was a personal cheque. I don't know the person who sent it. I paid it in on Monday at 9am. It was sent from an HBOS customer. The bank did not tell me why it had not cleared but can only presume insufficient funds. They won't put him £500 over his limit but they will do it to me!

I have written a letter to HBOS to pass on to the person who sent me the cheque.

I have been told it's not being represented but will be sent to my home address "REFER TO DRAWER"

Is there anything I can do at all with RBOS. Surely they are in the wrong letting me access the money then taking it back!

Well to be honest if they have agreed to waive the charges implied on your account because of this, I don't think they'll do anymore about it. Wait and see how they handle your complaint.

What you can do however is try and find the person who's cheque is it. Do you mind me asking what the cheque was for? (ie. was it an eBay purchase etc)?

You obviously have the name of the person and if you have a rough idea where they live you could do a trace. If you can find them you can then take it further.

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

I am doing all I can to contact the person but in the meantime I want to find out how they can let me access the funds and then a day later take them back! I have read through all the T & C's but there is nothing about reclaiming a cheque like this...

I think you are wasting your time working along that line. The banks are

aware that it takes too long to clear cheques at the moment, and your

bank has taken the view that as the vast majority of cheques do clear, that

they will take a risk and treat cheques as being cleared a day early which

is a bonus to many of their customers.

In your case though, you are in the confusing position of being told that

it is cleared, and then its not. But the fact is that you paid in a cheque

that has not been honoured. So you do owe the bank the £500. They have

been considerate in not imposing bank charges. Especially as you withdrew

all the money so quickly after it "cleared," since they could be forgiven if

they felt there was an element of collusion involved. Doubtless your meeting

with the bank on the Thursday allayed those fears.

Errrrmmm.... Karnevil, are you sure you are not confusing that with when a

cheque is treated as being out of date?

I may need Natweststaffmember to correct me here, and of course it would

depend on the reason for the return.

In cases of a forged signature or fraud, I am not sure that there would be a time limit at all.

But when a return is for lack of funds, stopped cheques etc, there is a

definite time limit. I am talking about situations where the cheque is drawn

on one bank and paid into another. I accept that when building societies

who are not part of the bank clearing system, are involved it may take longer

to clear cheques.

If you pay in a cheque on a Monday, then the latest it will be accepted as

a late return is the Friday of the same week. Obviously postal strikes and

a major breakdown in banks computer systems might cause a temporary

change in that rule.

You are right on the clearing thingy because a cheque can be returned at any point if there is fraud on the account. It is true that you can draw on a cheque from the atm prior to it actually being cleared. The leaflet on charges and fees would have details of the clearing cycle. Cheques are considered out of date after 6 calender months.

I came I saw I helped. I could do no more.