Covid "pingdemic" and statutory sick pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I read that yesterday over 619,000 were pinged by the NHS app. The newspaper stated that over 1 million were now isolating because they had been pinged. Are these employees entitled to SSP if they report they have been told to isolate?

This is fairly easy to google...

WWW.GOV.UK

Your Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) - how much you get, eligibility, how to claim SSP, fit...

If you cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19)

You could get SSP if you’re self-isolating because:

You could get SSP for every day you’re off work.

You cannot get SSP if you’re self-isolating after entering or returning to the UK and do not need to self-isolate for any other reason.

• Like 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Many thanks to Emmzzi for the link to Gov.uk which certainly clarifies my question - to me it feels as if the UK is about to grind to a halt with such huge numbers off work because they have been pinged, but I now realise it's the summer and many will simply take advantage of time off particularly if they are going to get something!

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

Have you seen how much SSP is, Andy? Most people say they can't live on it.

HB

Indeed. My employer is giving full pay precisely because we don't want to risk anyone saying they haven't been pinged, because they know they'll then  lose out on money.

So far, people have been so tired from staying home on furlough, they are desperate to get back to work, So no widescale abuse. We do have policies we can enact if someone is suspiciously multi-pinged... but they are the same as if someone was swinging the lead pre-covid. No change except in the type of illness.

What matters here is essentially "not killing people." A majority of employees are honest, want to see the employer survive, and so act decently. There's always a few bad apples, but there are in anything.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!