Hermes lost my £408.99 laptop and offered me £20 compensation

Posted (edited)

I wanted to send a laptop back for a refund and chose to go through Hermes as they offered the best rate for the size of the parcel. I chose not to get it insured as I'd heard about it not being enforceable and a waste of money, especially as it only covered up to £300. After sending it off I was contacted by the laptop company saying that I need to get it back as the address they had listed on their website is no longer where they are based. I got in contact with Hermes straight away (same day) to try to resolve this. Parcel was sent off on the 24th of June, it was out for delivery on the 28th or 29th so I called Hermes and they were able to contact the courier to stop him delivering it, I was assured my parcel would be with me within a week. I checked the tracking on the 2nd and it said the parcel had been delivered to the neighbour of the address on the parcel, I called them as soon as I saw it and they raised it with depo for someone to collect the parcel and send it back to me, I have confirmation that it was retrieved and returned to depo on the 6th. I then checked tracking again and it had been redelivered to the same address on the 8th so I contacted them as soon as I found out, and they had to raise it with the depo once again. I didn't hear anything from them for a few days so I called on the 20th and they told me they had lost it and would send me a claims form and that I would get the value of my parcel as well as postage costs returned to me. My claim has been approved today but they are only offering me £20 for the laptop, plus the £6.80 postage fee. I needed to have this parcel sent off to the retailer by the 16th as that was my last day of being eligible for a refund, and because of Hermes's series of mess ups I wasn't able to meet this deadline and have now lost out on £408.99. Is there anything I can do to get the rest of the money back?

I wanted to send a laptop back for a refund and chose to go through Hermes as they offered the best rate for the size of the parcel.

I chose not to get it insured as I'd heard about it not being enforceable and a waste of money, especially as it only covered up to £300.
After sending it off I was contacted by the laptop company saying that I need to get it back as the address they had listed on their website is no longer where they are based.
I got in contact with Hermes straight away (same day) to try to resolve this.

Parcel was sent off on the 24th of June, it was out for delivery on the 28th or 29th so I called Hermes and they were able to contact the courier to stop him delivering it, I was assured my parcel would be with me within a week.

I checked the tracking on the 2nd and it said the parcel had been delivered to the neighbour of the address on the parcel, I called them as soon as I saw it and they raised it with depo for someone to collect the parcel and send it back to me,

I have confirmation that it was retrieved and returned to depo on the 6th.
I then checked tracking again and it had been redelivered to the same address on the 8th so I contacted them as soon as I found out, and they had to raise it with the depo once again.

I didn't hear anything from them for a few days so I called on the 20th and they told me they had lost it and would send me a claims form and that I would get the value of my parcel as well as postage costs returned to me.

My claim has been approved today but they are only offering me £20 for the laptop, plus the £6.80 postage fee.

I needed to have this parcel sent off to the retailer by the 16th as that was my last day of being eligible for a refund, and because of Hermes's series of mess ups I wasn't able to meet this deadline and have now lost out on £408.99.

Is there anything I can do to get the rest of the money back?

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

Please notice that I have had to restructure your text and introduce spacing to make it readable – especially for people using the small screen.

Please will you make sure that your posts and future are properly spaced and punctuated. Thank you.

It's a complicated story – but it certainly seems that Hermes managed to lose your laptop while it was in their care and so you will be able to get the value of your laptop back.

We have lots of Hermes stories on this forum and so please will you start reading them up – probably at least six or seven of them. Take your time and understand the principles.
Also, at the top of the forum you will find a sticky thread which is about the enforceability of insurance.

It is important that you read this because you quite rightly did not take up their insurance offer – but when you sue Hermes – which you will certainly have to do, they will defend mainly on the basis that you didn't take out any insurance.
You will have to have these arguments ready in order to knock them back.

You will certainly be able to recover the value of your laptop and the delivery fee and court costs. You will understand the whole claims journey when you read the other stories.

However, I don't think that the refund that you are hoping to get is recoverable.

Can you tell us the basis on which you claimed the refund? Who did you purchase it from?

Incidentally, I should have pointed out that if you get a refund of the value of the laptop from Hermes, then I don't see that you are out-of-pocket. Have I misunderstood something?

I bought the laptop through Wowcher, who were selling the offer on behalf of Megamax Marketing. I wanted a refund for it as the battery doesn’t last long and I couldn’t use it as the software is really old, which I wasn’t made aware of at the time. 

My understanding of the process is that my next step will be to send Hermes a letter of claim (currently drafting) stating they have 14 days to give me a satisfactory reply or I will take them to the small claims court. 

I need to write my particulates of claim ready to send through on day 15. 

Then prepare to go through mediation and not let Hermes get away with not paying the full cost of the item, postage and fees. 

If Hermes do pay then I won’t be out of pocket, so that will be the end of this. 

If you follow our guidance then Hermes will pay. As long as you are prepared to stand your ground.

Your first step is to make a formal complaint to Hermes. Don't make any threats. Don't set any deadlines. Simply point out what has happened and that you want your money back.

If they don't reply by about 10 days or if they knock you back then come here and then we will go through the letter of claim.

However you may as well draft your letter of claim if you want and also your particulars of claim and we will check them so that you are completely ready to go

The letter of claim and the particulars of claim are fine.

It looks as if you are ready to go.

Let us know what happens in 10 days time

Hermes finally replied. As expected they won’t refund the full amount as I didn’t take out their insurance.

I have also received my £26.70 compensation that they so generously offered.

Okay. Send the letter of claim. Register on the moneyclaim website and start preparing your claim.

They are there won't respond to the letter of claim or they'll send you some feeble rubbish and say how sorry they are that you are suffering so badly blah blah blah.

Get ready to click the claim off on day 15.

If you've done all the reading then you know how the story goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update, I didn't hear anything from them in regards to the letter of claim, but I sent it 1st class signed for so I have proof that it was delivered to them. I submitted the claim on day 15 and have now received an acknowledgement of service,  as expected they are going to defend all of the claim. 

Looking forward to being told it's my fault for not taking out insurance and arguing with the mediator for a while. I'll give an update once I have received their defence, thanks for the help so far.

• Thanks 1