Debt Companies threatning to take Benefits

bevo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6349 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend has a debt relating to Carphone Warehouse. He has been told they can take his benefits and stop his disability etc. I have said this is a bluff and a way to frighten him. To cut a long story short I am now sending the debt company a cheque on his behalf for some of the amount. Does anyone know if what they are saying is true - I honestly cannot believe that it could be.

Thanks found the debt line number on this site and they have told me only if you arrange to make a payment (which he has not yet) and then do not pay would the debt then be sent to Court whereupon they would assess your money and decide how much you could afford say £2 a week for arguments sake if you then did not pay the £2 you could have money deducted from benefits but this is v. unlikely and they suggested sending them (the so called debt collector) a letter (from a pack they are sending) and also sending a copy of it to the Office of Fair Trading as they cannot threaten to take the money from your benefits. You know what I am going to do it because he is in a state and we are talking about a grown man so if an old man or lady had the same problem they would be terrified.