HMRC seek repayment after Fast Tax Rebates Ltd take most of rebate

Schipoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 139 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Brad,

Good to see you've signed up here on CAG - if you know others who've been scammed by FTR, get them to do the same. Strength in numbers ! 

See what comes back in response to the SAR - that may tell you what EIS was claimed for.

I'm sure your're already aware of the other 4 cases running here (Dixon, Alvin, Schipoo & Sleigh) but please read through each of them to see what's going on so far.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick, 

I will read through them, thanks for getting back to me. 

I’ve chased an update from HMRC they just said they are looking into. I’ll go through the others as you suggested.

thanks 

Hi

i have received my SAR today, no information whatsoever, only what I earned and what I paid in tax for those 3 tax years. Nothing about any tax returns or anything to do with this case!

I also got a email from Action Fraud 

I am sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime. Thank you for taking the time to report to Action Fraud. Your report has been sent to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) for review.

Experts at the NFIB examine the information you provide. Where possible, the information is also matched against other available data in order to enrich and corroborate the details of the fraud. The NFIB assess whether there are viable lines of enquiry that would enable a law enforcement body, such as the police service, to investigate.

On this occasion, based on the information currently available, it has not been possible to identify a line of enquiry which a law enforcement organisation in the United Kingdom could pursue.

Registered users of our service have the opportunity to update their report, so if you have additional information about your crime which you believe could change the assessment, please log in to your account and submit that information. We continuously assess the content of individual and linked crime reports; in the event that a line of enquiry is identified we will provide you with an update.

Please be assured that by contacting us you are giving the police vital information that they need to protect you and others. The information you have provided may be used to disrupt criminal activity and inform prevention advice and campaigns.

If you have any queries regarding this letter please visit www.actionfraud.police.uk/FAQ. If you would like more information on how to protect yourself from fraud and cyber crime, please see the guidance at www.actionfraud.police.uk/support_for_you.

Thank you for taking the time to report and helping us to make the UK a safer place.

Hi Schipoo,

We will discuss the Action Fraud response which is totally unacceptable and come back with a suggested reply.

Please confirm, approx how many other FTR victims are you aware of.

See my post on Dixon's thread here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/435744-hmrc-asking-me-to-repay-fast-tax-rebates-ltd-scam-rebate/?do=findComment&comment=5122682

Use this to reply to HMRC about their limited SAR response.

• Thanks 1

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi

I sent HMRC the email you suggested above on Friday but heard nothing as yet. Do you have any idea what to respond back to Action Fraud? I can see that everyone who has reported this to them have had the same response, plus I can see there is a new thread regarding this same scam that honey bee has commented on. 

Hi Schipoo,

We're discussing this and will come back to you with a suggested reply to Action Fraud.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Hi - I have had a response to my SAR query from my case worker below

Thank you for your email of 13 August 2021. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying which is due to my seeking technical advice.

I can confirm that HMRC considers that disclosing the reasons why we open enquiries would undermine our compliance activity and would likely prejudice the assessment and collection of tax. As I mentioned before, this information is withheld under Schedule 2 of the Data Protection Act 2018: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/schedule/2/enacted. I also reaffirm that I consider I have sent you all the personal information held by me in respect of my compliance check. For confidentiality reasons, I do not have access to all your personal data held by HMRC which is why you received a separate response from our Personal Tax team. If there is still information you feel is missing from their response, please specify what that information is and I will forward your concerns to our Personal Tax Team to look into.

If you are not happy with this decision, you may, as you mention, complain to the Information Commissioner who can be contacted at:[email protected], or Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, or 0303 123 1113.

Please note that I will shortly be continuing my compliance activity and reviewing what action is now required.

I have put this response together, what do you think? 

I refer to my last email which was addressed to you and Christopher Beddow as that is who sent me the second part of my SAR and I explained that it was sent to you as I didn’t have an email address for Mr Beddow so I would assume you would have forwarded my email to him to answer my queries on the missing information. I specified very clearly what information I require, it does not undermine any of the HMRC compliance to provide me with the information on my personal tax file. I was sent only what I would find on any P60. 
I will clarify again what it is I require as follows:-

You must provide me with copies of any and all information held including tax returns, submissions made and documents submitted on my behalf by Fast Tax Rebates Ltd, investments I have supposedly made and to which companies under EIS, calculations, file notes, memos sent or received. 

I would assume that any decisions regarding possible action made under your compliance review be on hold until I have received the information I require and am entitled to receive and time to seek advice of my own. 

Kind regards

Hi Schipoo,

Your draft response looks fine but I would add :-

Please bear in mind that I have no idea what was lodged by FTR on my behalf resulting in tax being repaid to them. I am entitled to this information.

Morning all, 

Response to my email the other day….

Thank you for your email.

I have asked our Personal Tax team to review the information already sent and reply to you directly.

Please note that the SAR request does not prevent or delay normal compliance activity. I intend to continue with my review and will monitor the position with regards to the response our Personal Tax team send you.

As my deadline to ask for an independent review is 27th August I’ve requested that my case be reviewed independently, my case worker has emailed an acknowledgement and said I will hear in due course. After that I still have the option to take it to a tribunal 

Do you have any advice on what to sent to Action Fraud?

Hi Schipoo and thanks for the update.

Crazy that HMRC expect you to make decisions when you still await important info but you've done the right thing seeking the independant review.

I'd like the response to Action Fraud to reflect their totally inadequate stance but please hold fire in the meantime while we continue to look at all options.

In the meantime, I think you should go back to the police and ask what action they intend to take against people behind FTR who have fraudulently reclaimed tax rebates on your behalf.

So my case seems to be gathering pace and I’m concerned I won’t have things in place to help me. I haven’t heard from either the local mp (after his aide confirmed he had received and read my email). So I had to request an independent review because my deadline was Friday 27th august. My case worker has replied the same day confirming that my case will now be reviewed, with the letter arriving yesterday by special delivery. 

Hi Schipoo,

We're still working on this behind the scenes and I'll come back to you here on the thread or by PM in the next 2 days.

So I have had the second part of my SAR which doesn’t tell me much more than the first part. All it has is screenshots of the returns submitted online I assume from FTR Ltd although they are not mentioned in any of it. Do you think FTR even had to quote the name of the Ltd Company I was supposedly investing in via the EIS?
Do you think that because I got them the gateway password it matters to the HMRC  who did those tax returns and that’s why they’re just going after me? 
It does say that they have the right redact certain information such as staff names etc but do you think they’re redacting FTR’s submissions?

My mind is working overtime on this now.