Chevron03 v Smile

chevron03

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. Lots of interesting reading.

I have just started on the road against Smile, who I have banked with for years. I got an acknowledgement of my first letter - asking for data protection info - on the 1st december so they have till 10th Jan to stump up the statements.

This is my first attack and if all goes ok then I expect to have to take on Natwest, Capital One, Halifax, MBNA, Abbey, Goldfish, First Direct, Smile visa and Egg. It could be a long and repetitive old road! I can't do them all at once because if they close the accounts I will be screwed as I presently still owe about 42000 (slowly coming down). I have parachute facilities of about £5000 set up.

All advice welcome - especially on how to deal with multiple claims. Will keep the thread updated with a response.

In particular, I was wondering the effect of things like the Abbey card now being run by MBNA, should I treat them as separate organisations or the same? Does this have likely cross account impacts I should be wary of?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the dumb question but I cant find out how much I should charge in interest at stage 1? My charges were for flitting around my overdraft level but I dont know the interest rate I was being charged at teh time. I also only have a list of charges, not balances at the time.

Should I just say sod it and reclaim with no charges, then go to 8% at court stage or is there a standard figure people recommend claiming at this stage?

Reason I ask is that I gather Smile are repaying at stage 1 so dont want to miss out obviosuly.

Have read the FAQs but still unclear about the interest levels.

Hi Chevron03,

I am a little confused myself in so much as you do not have a list of balance statements, as part of the information that Smile sent you?

Did you use the default S.A.R. letter template, which asks for a list of transactions as well as charges, or a complete set of the statements for the period you are claiming?

If so, then you should have received such in the information sent.

As you suggest, it would be difficult to assess interest without knowledge of your balances. I have seen one post on the forum, in which 25% was sought and paid.

Good luck with your claim :)

As of today, am now at the LBA stage myself, and have used the VAMPIRESS spreadsheet, as suggested in FAQ's - Step 2, to work out interest charges.

Wishing everyone success with their claim[s], myself included. As is the norm on the forum, do take note that my opinions are my own and based on my experiences ... for legal advice, you should always consult a registered and insured lawyer. [B][COLOR=Sienna]SMILE[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=darkorange][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Credit Card: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full *** [COLOR=DarkOrange]Current Account 1: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full ***[/COLOR] S.A.R. LBA: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [B][COLOR=Sienna]CAHOOT [COLOR=DarkOrange]Prelim: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007 for £848.01[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Sienna] [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Hi Chevron,

Very naughty of Smile ... but not wholly surprising, as I suspect they are overrun with claims, and there appears to be little rhyme or reason as to what stage they will refund their unlawful charges.

Hang on in there, and hoping you get a speedy result :)

Wishing everyone success with their claim[s], myself included. As is the norm on the forum, do take note that my opinions are my own and based on my experiences ... for legal advice, you should always consult a registered and insured lawyer. [B][COLOR=Sienna]SMILE[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=darkorange][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Credit Card: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full *** [COLOR=DarkOrange]Current Account 1: [COLOR=Black]*** Settled in Full ***[/COLOR] S.A.R. LBA: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DarkOrange] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [B][COLOR=Sienna]CAHOOT [COLOR=DarkOrange]Prelim: [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=Black]sent 26/01/2007 for £848.01[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][B][COLOR=Sienna] [/COLOR][/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go for it chevron. Better in your pocket than theirs, even if only briefly.;)

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.