Cooperative bank closing my accounts

trub

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. This is my first post but not the beginning of my troubles with the Coop bank:

I recently reclaimed unfair bank charges from my (former) bank on two occasions. I am now in the process of making another claim for a smaller amount: £160. This has occurred as some charges went through for two of my accounts being overdrawn whilst the other claims were being investigated. The bank did send me a letter advising that their charges for unauthorised overdrafts were being reduced to £11 but they have since ignored this & charged me over £50 for each time I was recently overdrawn!

This week I have received a letter from them advising that they are closing my accounts in 30 days time as I have apparently 'breached' the terms & conditions of my accounts! I was not aware being overdrawn was a breach of these conditions (certain it is not). So the reasons they give for closing the accounts appear to be nonsence.

I now do all my banking with the Halifax & the Coop accounts are only open as I am overdrawn by £25 & £45 respectively on them. So closing them is no inconvenience to me. The problem I have is that I claimed £160 from the Coop & even if they write off the approx £70 overdrawn in my accounts (brought about by unfair charges incidentally) I still want the rest back.

I am pursuing this through the moneyclaim site & a claim form has been sent to the bank.

Has anyone else got to this stage? Particularly when their claim is outstanding & their account(s) are in the process of being closed?

I also believe that their reason for closing my accounts is unlawful. Anyone able to verify this?

Many thanks.

I was not aware being overdrawn was a breach of these conditions (certain it is not).

If your bank account with them is a Cashminder account, then I'm afraid they're correct. Ts&Cs:

"1.7 You must not overdraw your account"

"3 In the event your account becomes overdrawn

3.1 You must immediately pay into or transfer enough money to the account to bring the balance back into credit"

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

• 4 months later...

Hi.

Sorry it's taken months to reply!

I got all my money back. I was closing the account anyway but despite their threats, they did not close it.

Thanks!

David

hi-i opened a coop account -set up direct debits but the payroll paid my salary into my old lloyds account in error-result unpaid direct debits totalling 136.50-they threatened to close my account -i wasnt too bothered -if theyre not so understanding i'm best rid-i paid into the account but due to a represented d/d its now £35 o/d and 2 weeks past their threatened closure date-i've sent a prelim that was received on 24th but no news as yet

lloyds S.A.R -sent 04/04/200

statements received 11/05/2007

prelim-14/05/2007 -£4987

lba-30/05/2007

n1-20/07/2007

Co-Op prelim sent-20/04/2007-£136.50

settled in full

goldfish prelim-27/06/2007

capital one -deemed served -01/07/2007

settlement without cci offered 17/07/2007

halifax prelim-17/07/2007

aqua--prelim-13/07/2007

welcome-prelim-30/06/2007

lba-14/07/2007

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was told my co-operative account will be closed in a months time but I have had difficulty understanding their rules. I understand that on the account I have I can only be overdrawn 3 times in any year but i was told my account is being closed because if they had payed a DD i would have gone overdrawn but as they did not pay DD i was still in credit so how can they close an account on what could have happened?

• 7 years later...
Hi everyone. This is my first post but not the beginning of my troubles with the Coop bank:

I recently reclaimed unfair bank charges from my (former) bank on two occasions. I am now in the process of making another claim for a smaller amount: £160. This has occurred as some charges went through for two of my accounts being overdrawn whilst the other claims were being investigated. The bank did send me a letter advising that their charges for unauthorised overdrafts were being reduced to £11 but they have since ignored this & charged me over £50 for each time I was recently overdrawn!

This week I have received a letter from them advising that they are closing my accounts in 30 days time as I have apparently 'breached' the terms & conditions of my accounts! I was not aware being overdrawn was a breach of these conditions (certain it is not). So the reasons they give for closing the accounts appear to be nonsence.

I now do all my banking with the Halifax & the Coop accounts are only open as I am overdrawn by £25 & £45 respectively on them. So closing them is no inconvenience to me. The problem I have is that I claimed £160 from the Coop & even if they write off the approx £70 overdrawn in my accounts (brought about by unfair charges incidentally) I still want the rest back.

I am pursuing this through the moneyclaim site & a claim form has been sent to the bank.

Has anyone else got to this stage? Particularly when their claim is outstanding & their account(s) are in the process of being closed?

I also believe that their reason for closing my accounts is unlawful. Anyone able to verify this?

Many thanks.

the Co-op are closing many accounts without any reason and they don't have to tell you. It seems they are cleaning the bank up to sell it on in the near future