eBay item delivered by Yodel but not to me

If Kafka were alive, he would be writing eBay's rules.

I bought an item on eBay which was supposedly delivered by Yodel - the tracking says that it was put through my letterbox. I was actually looking through my window waiting for the van, having been watching the tracking progress, just as the tracking status changed. There was no van and nothing was put through my letterbox.

I contacted Yodel and they said that it was delivered and I must be mistaken. I cannot open an eBay item not delivered case because the tracking says it was delivered. I can't make a claim against Yodel because their contract is with the seller and the seller cannot make a claim against Yodel because the tracking says it has been delivered. In fact, having read a case of a seller who said that a buyer claimed that an item had not been delivered to them (even though the tracking said it had been delivered) they were told, don't worry, if the tracking says it has been delivered, eBay will always settle the case in favour of the seller.

I wouldn't normally come on here for eBay advice as, until recently, there has been a mechanism within eBay to deal with things but when I clicked the item not delivered link, I was told that it had been delivered and there were no other options. I've been using eBay for 20 years, I have 100% feedback and I don't make false claims. This was a £40 item, not something worth risking one's reputation over but equally, not a sum to write off just because a driver couldn't be bothered to check the address. I only have one neighbour so if they delivered there, I would have seen them.

I really don't feel inclined to write this off but I don't know what else I can do.

who said you cant launch a claim against yodel?

of course you can.

there are literally 100's of threads here in the forum you've posted yours in 

get reading up.

they are all basically the same as yours. just follow the same process

letter of claim to yodel

then launch a court claim if they refuse

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Please read around the sub- forum about the claims which have been made against Hermes. Your claim is likely to follow a very similar pattern.

Please can you tell us something about the eBay seller.
What was the item? What was its value?

Thanks for the replies.

I have to assume that something has changed in consumer law at some point over the pas 20 years that I missed because I have been told on numerous occasions that it is up to the sender to claim as they have the contract with the delivery company.

As I said in my original post, the item cost £40 (just over), it was a NanoVNA (a hand held Vector Network Analyser) which is something radio amateurs use for analysing antennas.

I don't know much about the seller other than although the item listing says that its location was Atherstone, the seller's actual address at the very bottom of the page, says it is in China. Unfortunately, although these are open source devices, that's where they are made but somehow they are simultaneously sold by sellers in China whilst being located in the UK. However, I don't think the seller is at fault. The item has been delivered somewhere and you cannot see full Yodel tracking without entering the postcode in the address so my postcode obviously matches the postcode on the label and the van was in my general area (it was about two miles away when the tracking said mine was the next delivery.

What is frustrating at this point is that I need the item but without knowing what the outcome will be, I don't want to buy another one - I don't want to end up with two if the other one surfaces and all the sellers on eBay have similar shipping arrangements, i.e. 'Other Courier 5 Days' so the same thing could happen.

Anyway, I'll read through the linked documents.

If you have read the Hermes stories you will understand the basis on which you will be able to make a claim as a beneficial third party.

You will generally speaking find that people don't know this. Of course yodel knows it. Hermes knows it. But of course they don't tell anybody. If you visit the Facebook pages then by and large all the barrackroom lawyers start saying that you should claim from the seller – and of course they assuming first of all that there is a seller, secondly that the seller is interested and available and within the jurisdiction.
Where you are dealing with a proper brand name seller such as Currys or Amazon or John Lewis then there is no problem going for the seller. However where the item is simply a gift or in fact it is something that you have sent yourself to another address or where there is a seller who is outside the jurisdiction then you are left to your own devices and unfortunately a huge number of people simply accept that they don't have a contract with the courier company and so they have no comeback. Not True!

You say that this apparently has been put through your letterbox. I think the first thing to do is to find out the dimensions of the item and then imagine what it would be packed. I'm sure you can manage that. Find out the weight and dimensions – boxed. You may be able to get some of that information from yodel's own website using the tracking number that you have.
You can then let us know whether you think the thing would have fitted through your letterbox anyway. That would be a good start. Maybe you have done that already – it's the obvious place to start.

Have you actually made a formal complaint to yodel? If you haven't then you should begin doing this in writing – by email is fine. Tell them that they have failed to deliver despite what their tracking system says and that you want your money. He said cost you 40 quid. Does this include all the postage et cetera? What is your actual loss here?

In your complaint to yodel, don't set a deadline. However I would give it about 10 days and either they will knock you back or else they won't respond – and either way come back here and we will take you through the next step which will be to send them a letter of claim giving them 14 days.

There is pretty well no doubt that you will have to start a County Court claim on this. Frankly the value is so low that yodel will put their hands up at a fairly early stage although you may will have to issue the claim papers.

I don't need measurements of the package to know that it would fit through a letterbox - the item is smaller than an old iPhone - the point is that they have not put it through mine. I know this for a fact because firstly, I was looking out of the window waiting for them and no vans showed up. There is very little traffic here and there wasn't even a car. Secondly, there was nothing put through my letterbox, even if a phantom van delivered it, and there was nobody else in the house who could have moved it.

I did attempt to contact Yodel yesterday (via their online chat and Twitter) and whilst there was initial contact, in both cases, they disappeared when they took my details. The 'delivery' only happened yesterday but given that they claim that it was delivered, that seems to be pretty finite as far as the direction of travel, i.e. it isn't still in the van or at the warehouse - it isn't going to show up unless the driver recalls where he left it, recovers it (assuming that there is somebody at home) and delivers it to me (assuming that he can find my address when he couldn't previously).

I am going to clear my bases today before I embark on anything but I have a pretty good track record of hanging on until I succeed with consumer issues - it was just that in this case it looked like the rules has stitched me up.

I just had a kind of acknowledgement from Yodel via Twitter that the package was delivered to the wrong address - they described fairly specifically where it was delivered and it does not match the description of my house at all.

Well come back here when you think you want to take it further. But the starting advice will be to read the stories on the Hermes sub- from, to make a written complaint and ask for your money back and then after about 10 days also to issue the letter of claim.

Make sure also that you have read up on the steps involved in taking a small claim the County Court.

Come back when you're ready

I'm just chatting with the Yodel bot. They have again acknowledged that they delivered to an address which they described and does not sound like mine at all. Three times I asked for the e-mail address and postal address to make complaints and they refused each time.

Good. Keep all the chat logs and let us know when you are ready.

Thanks, yes I have the chat log.

I managed to get the addresses out of them. For the record, anybody needing them, they are:

[email protected]

Atlantic Pavilion

Albert Dock

Liverpool

Merseyside

L3 4AE

• Thanks 1

Ask Yodel if they have a photo of the delivery address door where it was posted, that's something that is mandatory for DPD courier's its encoded into the delivery sequence on the PDA,  Not sure if Yodel do that but it might be worth a shot for l;ater as it wn't match your door.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Posted (edited)

A couple of points; I recenty ordered a new money clip through Ebay which was delivered by Yodel.

This item is small enough to fit in your pocket and it holds folded paper money, so definitely small enough to fit in your letter box.  However, it was delivered in a box big enough to hold 4 full sized cans of baked beans (I tried it and proved it), so it couldn't fit in my letterbox.

Yodel reported that it had been delivered through the letterbox which was clearly a lie as the delivery agent could be seen on my doorbell and CCTV cameras.

It had been left on my doorstep in full view of the pavement and road and I was surprised to find it stil there some hours later when I returned home from work.

Second point is that the item was seriously substandard so I complained to Ebay after contacting the seller who refused to accept a return.

Ebay were their usual useless selves so I simply did a charge back on my credit card and got my money back.

I received a rather short reply from Ebay saying that as I had opened a dispute with my CC provider they would not be able to pursue the claim - they weren't anyway.

So I would say forget Yodel and Ebay, just do a chargeback and let them get on with it and go ahead and order another one from elsewhere.

Edited by Homer67
typo again

Yes, a chargeback is a good idea. That should be the first step.

Also, checking the dimensions of the package. Not of the contents but of the package as those dimensions appear on the yodel website

There is no photo of the delivery address but Yodel gave me a description of the house where it was delivered, presumably from the driver, and as it does not match my house, and I have the description in writing via two different means, it is a tacit admission that they delivered it to the wrong address.

I can't see anywhere on the Yodel website which gives an indication of the item's dimensions - I have clicked every link on the tracking page. I have uploaded a PDF with what I can see - if you can tell me where to click, I will. By the way, I only anonymised my tracking number to avoid breaching any forum privacy issues.

I am reluctant to do a chargeback at this early stage - there isn't really very much they can do. I received a message from Yodel via Twitter saying that I should ask the seller to sort this out but as I said to them, the seller is about 500 miles away, what can they do? The driver is the only person who knows where they put the item through the letterbox - they should go and retrieve it. But given that they put it through the letterbox, I suppose that there is a significant possibility that there was nobody at home and if that is the case, there probably won't be if they go back during working hours.

yodel-nanovna.pdf

I suggest that you do the chargeback and at the same time put in the complaint to yodel. See what happens.

No point in continuing the discussion as it is going – it is starting to meander.

Let us know what happens and when you are ready to get started. I don't think there's much else we can say at the moment

Unfortunately, it looks like a chargeback is not an option as it was paid by Direct Debit to PayPal. The link I followed suggests that chargebacks can only be made on credit cards, debit cards or charge cards.

That's fine. You know what to do in that case

WWW.DIRECTDEBIT.CO.UK

Welcome to the home of Direct Debit, the UK's favourite way to make payments automatically.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Anyway, I am not dipping in and out of this, I have been at it non-stop.

I finally found a way to get eBay to contact me - I was prevented from opening a case because it was marked as delivered which meant that whichever link I followed on their website, I was prevented from getting any kind of phone time with them. I eventually found a chat-bot and typed 'I need to speak to somebody' and I got a call a minute later.

I explained the situation to them and stressed that I didn't think that it was the seller but the delivery company who was at fault. They told me that a case would be opened (I have received e-mail confirmation that it has) and the seller has until next Thursday to respond after which, eBay will find in my favour and I will be refunded. It will then be up to the seller to seek compensation from Yodel.

I'm not 100% certain that that is how things will pan out and I'm pretty fed up that I am stuck without a VNA until some time after I get a refund - I'm not risking ending up with having to pay for two if I buy another and the original one shows up before I get a refund.

How to claim back a Direct Debit payed in error or disputed.

Unfortunately, it looks like a chargeback is not an option as it was paid by Direct Debit to PayPal. 

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the information.

As eBay seem to be on this now, I'll see how that goes - I think I have enough arrows in the air for the time being but will look at the Direct Debit route if things don't work out.

I just went through my PayPal account and made sure that my debit card is the primary option on all payments - I think that by default, direct debit is.

This is pretty depressing. I just had two more eBay purchases marked as delivered which I have not received. Two boxes of vegetable seeds. One was supposed to be delivered by BlueCare Express (never heard of them) and the other by Aqualine (ditto). These items weren't actually for me, they were for somebody else.

I'm really sick of this now. I just about exhausted myself chasing up one delivery with no guarantee of a positive outcome and now I have to go through it all twice more.