style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am a landlord and my tenant has given me a notice that he is moving out next week, i found out that he has run up alot of debits on my property and is refusing to pay.

I want to write a pretend threaten letter to him from a solicitor advising him to pay up or he will be charged to court. How do i go about it, you advise is needed.

Regards,

:sad:

Don't you dare write him a pretend letter from a solicitor!

Surely if he has run up debts they will be in his name, not just against the address of your property. Make sure you get a forwarding address, then if any letters come to your property addressed to him, call the people involved and inform them of his new address. They can continue to chase him there.

Impersonating a solicitor is a criminal offence. Don't.

All utilities will be in the tenant's name. The utility companies are not able to chase a landlord - this is of course assuming that this is a proper tenancy. All bills should be in the TENANT's name, with the TENANT paying. As long as this is so, you have nothing to worry about.

Remember to carry out an exit inspection with him present so that you can discuss fair deductions (if any) from his deposit. Take pictures, write down the condition of the property, get him to agree to a fair price for any damage done, and then BOTH sign it, with BOTH receiving a copy.

Good luck.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Why should you be concerned about your tenants debts? They are in his name and only the companies who he owes money to will be able to chase him.

When I moved in to my rented accommodation I was forever getting letters for the previous tenant. I sent them back by putting "not known at this address". I opened one by mistake and found out that the previous tenant was being persued for unpaid TV licence. I had debt collectors at my door and I had to prove who I was! I contacted my Letting Agents sho more or less laughed at me as there was nothing they could do from stopping this happening.