UAE Personal Loan - Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, looking for advice and answers if possible.

Situation:

I took out a personal loan with a UAE bank but was unfortunately made redundant.  I left the UAE during my 3 month notice period due to the fact people tend to be arrested/ imprisoned/ or prevented from leaving the country if they are unable to pay off all debt immediately.

I left what money I could in my account so as to be able to service the debt whilst I searched for employment.  I have now been informed that the sum I left has been immediately put against the debt and they require payments to start immediately to cover the remainder of the loan.  In the email I received I note that Tahseel was also included.  I further noted that I have been locked out of my account and therefore have no visibility of what I owe etc.  On trying to log in via the Bank App a message in Arabic appeared from AD Police; not a good sign but supports my decision to leave the country.

The email I have received from Tahseel states

Dear XXXXXX,

As per the banks update , your End of Service amount has already been adjusted towards the outstanding balance and it won’t be considered as monthly installments. As your file is in final legal stage, you need to pay an amount of AED 4000 for now to hold further legal proceedings from the bank. 

Once this payment reflects in your account, we can initiate the request to provide you an extension for further payments subject to approval from the bank.

I am a UK national with no assets in the UK though I do receive a UK military pension.  I am currently living with my parents and have deleted LinkedIn etc.  I intend to repay the debt (£135k) but can’t at the rate agreed as even if I get a job it will be SIGNIFICANTLY less than my UAE salary.

My questions are:

• should I send the 4,000 AED?
  • what action do you suggest I take?

My initial thoughts are the 4000 AED is to cover costs for Tahseel rather than make any payment to the bank.

Many thanks for any advice

there are as you can see 100's of threads here regarding UAE debt, the best thing you can do is read a good few 10's of them.

as for any powerless DCA from what ever country they are from you are totally safe to ignore them.

the bottom line is you must, in writing, (do not use email) always keep the original bank informed of your current and correct UK address should you move.

if you've not done this to date, then do so today.

then sit back and await to see if you eventually ever get a Letter of claim.

i wouldn't be rushing to pay anyone anything.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx100uk many thanks.  I am trying to get an actual address that I can send a letter, informing them of my address in the UK but they will not reply; currently I only have an email contact whom I have informed that I will NOT communicate via a DCA.

I have asked them to send me the loan agreement and current statement of my account.  No reply.

Should I send them my mailing address via email?  This is my parents house where I am staying due to my current circumstances.

Do you have any advice reference the physical address issue?

Brgds

email directly to the bank only, that will suffice for now with your parents address, but don't tell them anything else, like you are sofa surfing and will eventually get your own place, none of their business till you are settled elsewhere.

ignore the DCA totally.

yours is not the next move now.

sit back and wait.

but get reading here as many UAE threads as possible...the more you read the stronger we become.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx100uk done and many thanks for your advice.  As you state, I shall await any further communication from the bank.

I have asked a former colleague to source an actual address having not been able to find one ANYWHERE online for First Abu Dhabi (FAB) Bank.  Once I have one that is how I shall communicate going forward.

Brgds