Hotel Booking issues ***Refund Pending***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I never seem to have much luck with hotels...

Recently, I booked through hotels.com for an apartment/house/flat/whatever for 9 Oct. I selected the 'book now pay later' option to spread the cost of £595.

Payment schedule, according to hotels.com is supposed to be:

£178.50 on 28 May

£416.50 on 9 Sep

However, I got charged £178.50 on 28 May plus £30 cot (fair enough) plus £90 damage deposit. I thought the last one should be an account hold or whatever it is called instead of an actual charge? 

Anyway, got my recent credit card bill and I got charged again £416.50 on 25 Jun, meaning I had been charged the total amount, nearly 3 months early. 

I contacted hotels.com and they told me to contact the property. I told them it is shocking that the vendor can just take money from my card out of schedule but I was just told to contact the property. Long story short, they basically just shoved me off to the property. 

What is concerning is the Google listed number is "not in use" and the owner is not answering the mobile. I am considering cancelling my card and my booking. This is where I need advice. The items on my bill are listed as the property, NOT hotels.com. If I were to cancel my booking, can hotels.com enforce the refund even though the payment was not actually put through by themselves? If I were to cancel and replace my card now, will a refund still go through? What about things like the deposit and cot (separate items on the credit card bill). 

Finally am I protected under Section 75 if I turn up to find there is no property for me even though I booked through hotels.com, my bills were directly to the property instead. 

Hope this is clear enough, isn't easy typing on a phone and my office firewall will not allow access to this forum. If there is anything unclear, feel free to ask and I will clarify. 

NatWest for £272:Full and final settlement: 13/11/06

Argos Card for £52.50:Paid to Argos account: 10/11/06

Bank of Scotland for £218:Full and final settlement: 25/01/07

• Andyorch changed the title to Hotel Booking issues

Not a expert but have you been back to hotels.com and asked them for contact details for the property owner. 

To me it would be a worry that l cant reach the property owner or the number that is published. 

Please can you name the property 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I had:

Called them on the number listed on Google, not in use. 

Called them on the number listed on their website, no answer. 

Messaged them on the email listed on their website, awaiting a reply. 

Messaged them on hotels.com instant message feature, awaiting a reply. 

Property is Wimbledon Holiday Lets, what is strange is their website address seem to have changed in the past 24 hours (although contact info still the same). 

Ok, now I am at home and am able to type on a proper computer so I will clarify some points.

27 May - Booking made on Hotels.com, selected book now pay later option, total cost £595.

28 May - Three payment went out on my card, £178.50 deposit, £30 cot and £90 breakage deposit.

25 Jun - Another payment went out for £416.50.

12 Jul - Contacted Hotels.com who confirmed that the second payment should only go out on 9 Sep (1 month before my trip). Also attempted to contact the property via various channels.

Further information - Even though booking was made on Hotels.com, credit card bill shows the property name instead. If I cancelled the booking, can Hotels.com enforce the refund? (it is a refundable booking)

Edited by alvinlwh

What have hotels com said about phone numbers 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Not contacted them (Hotels.com) again yet, I am giving the owner 24 hours to respond to either email or IM.

If no reply after that I will contact Hotels.com again.

Right now, I am writing to my Trading Standards for advise too.

Trading standards dont really exist anymore like they use to. They dont really do much anymore either. You need to inform Hotels.com of what has happened with the phone numbers and website. 

I've looked on various booking sites and this place looks legit with a number of reviews from previous guests, some critical.  However, that could just mean it's a sophisticated scam.

I'd be very, very worried if money was being taken from my card three months early and then the hotel owner wasn't answering e-mails or the phone. 

Over the last week I've booked five places myself for a holiday in Cyprus at the end of the month, and they all replied almost immediately because, er, it's their job.  Well, seven places really as two couldn't accept my bookings, these two contacted me straight away and I got my money back immediately.

You shouldn't wait till October to think about Section 75.  Try to get your money back now.

I have no idea what you can do via Hotels.com, I suppose you need to read their T&Cs carefully.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I've just done a mock booking for this place for the last week of October, on Hotels.com.

You're completely right, the £90 damage deposit is supposed to be paid at the property, not before.

There was an option to spread the cost, pay a third now, a third in 30 days, a third in 60 days.

There are only three reviews by so-called previous guests which would be easily forgeable.

Hotels.com has appalling reviews on Trustpilot  https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.hotels.com

Do I take it you went for the option to pay up front (cheaper) rather than have cancellation rights (more expensive)?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

50 minutes ago, FTMDave said:

You're completely right, the £90 damage deposit is supposed to be paid at the property, not before.

There was an option to spread the cost, pay a third now, a third in 30 days, a third in 60 days.

There are only three reviews by so-called previous guests which would be easily forgeable.

Do I take it you went for the option to pay up front (cheaper) rather than have cancellation rights (more expensive)?

Yes, I saw 3 separate transection in May right after I booked and phoned them straight away. The call was answered and the person was totally familiar with my booking, which kind of made me feel a little safer. That's why I do not want to pull the trigger and cancel right away now. I am giving them a little benefit of the doubt that something had happened. But I think if I still cannot get hold of someone by tomorrow, I am cancelling.

I took the option of 30% now and then the rest 30 days before, as confirmed by hotels.com. It is quite alarming that my card details were provided to the property without my knowledge, not to mention the unexpected hit on my cash flow. I always thought hotels.com is the one processing my card. 

I also went for the more expensive free cancellation option, so in theory, I should lose nothing. The concern are the £30 and £90 separate transactions and the fact that the payment was not processed by hotels.com. If the property refuses to refund, will hotels.com be able to enforce it? 

Maybe I'm being paranoid.  It could be the people who run the flat have other businesses and can't reply straight away.  But money being taken when it shouldn't + radio silence = alarm bells.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

I also went for the more expensive free cancellation option, so in theory, I should lose nothing.

Well that is good news, gives you more protection.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

The concern are the £30 and £90 separate transactions and the fact that the payment was not processed by hotels.com. If the property refuses to refund, will hotels.com be able to enforce it? 

No idea, I'm sorry, it's not a site I've ever used and I'm unfamiliar with the T&Cs.  I would guess there is protection against being scammed, but I really don't know.

I actually got a reply back from the local Trading Standards (working in the same department as them means I can email their manager directly) and this is what they say.

"I have now had a look at the Hotels.com terms and conditions and they do state that for the booking you made they act only as intermediaries and payment is with the accommodation provider so by accepting this criteria there is implied permission for your financial information to be given to the provider.

The conditions do also state that you should get notice of any cancellation charges from the accommodation provider on making the booking so you should check for this in any confirmation email st see if there are any cancellation charges.

S75 would apply if anything other than the cot was paid using the credit card. If the payment of £416.50 should not have been taken until September then the accommodation provider is in breach of contract and by law Tesco Financial is equally liable."

der."

Now, that answers my question about why the property appears on my bill instead of hotels.com. 

Cancellation charge, well, here is my terms of booking:

Cancellation policy
Free cancellation until 11:00, 06/10/2021 (GMT+00:00)
  • If you change or cancel this booking after 11:00, 06/10/2021 property’s local time (GMT+00:00), you won’t be refunded any of the payment.
  •  

Now, it is the last one that is most interesting, if you look at my profile, my previous post before this one, it is another S75 with Tesco and they ignored all my claim, going as far as putting the blame back onto me. If they are indeed liable for this one again, I am not letting it go.

You don't mess about, do you?!

Right, see if the accommodation responds (during my bookings over the last week automated messages told me I might have to wait 24 hours for answers, so that's obviously considered the maximum you should wait).

If no reply, cancel the booking and go for a refund.

If that fails, then yes stick the boot in with Tesco Financial.

Like I said, check on my profile on my last previous posting.

I was done over by Tesco for £300+ even everyone (here or TS) said they should be equally responsible and reverse the transection, I allow them to drag it out too long and lost that money.

This time, it is a even bigger amount (£595 + £90 + £30). As you said, taking money when they are not supposed to + radio silence = alarm bells. Plus taking the remainder so early impacted my cash flow (CC bill due now) and I still need to book a new place. No happy, so not going to mess about with anyone anymore. 

According to hotels.com FAQ:

Refunds for credit and debit card payments

• We will process your refund and credit the card you used to pay for your booking within 24 hours.
  • The credit may take 7 days to post to your account and 2 billing cycles to show on your statement.
  • If you have not received a credit within 7 days, please contact your bank or credit card company.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, after 2 weeks, there is still no refunds showing up on my credit card statement. Contacted Hotels.com and they still say I need to contact the property. However they are writing an email to the property too but I am not holding my breath for it.

So I am contacting Trading Standards to see what else to do next to get the money back via Tesco.

Have you contacted the card provider. 

Not yet, I had problems with Tesco refusing any liability about another incident 2 years ago (look on my profile for that post) causing me to lost £300. This time, I am going full force in writing with Trading Standards. Calling them is pointless.

Maybe you need to pull up your big boys pants and contact them as u only have so many days 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2021 at 19:51, The GodMother said:

Maybe you need to pull up your big boys pants and contact them as u only have so many days 

I am getting emails from hotel.com saying that the refund had been processed/issued. However, when I phone Tesco up yesterday, they said that there were no refunds on the system. They suggested waiting another week and check with them again. If nothing is forthcoming, use the online form to do a Section 75. They seem more willing to help this time round.

Yes, I understand what you are saying about I "only have so many days" but the booking is for Oct, so technically, it had not happened yet.

Tell the hotel you want proof of refund sorted with proof the money has left there bank. 

53 minutes ago, The GodMother said:

Tell the hotel you want proof of refund sorted with proof the money has left there bank. 

Em, if you read my first post, the hotel (property actually) is not answering phone calls or responding to emails or messages sent via hotel.com.

I did read your post but tou have also said you have been receiving emails from hotels.com. you need to back yourself up and have proof you have requested proof refund. So sen emails and if your ignored it looks better on your side. Also contact hotels.com in writing saying you have had nothing. Asking them to find proof. 

10 minutes ago, The GodMother said:

I did read your post but tou have also said you have been receiving emails from hotels.com. you need to back yourself up and have proof you have requested proof refund. So sen emails and if your ignored it looks better on your side. Also contact hotels.com in writing saying you have had nothing. Asking them to find proof. 

Hotel.com actually escalated the issue and I received an email from them saying that the refund had been issued. However, speaking to Tesco yesterday, nothing had came through. I did reply to the hotel.com email stating that.

Also, my TS had looked at hotels.com terms and condition, it seems that it is mainly between me and the provider now. TS advised me to go to Tesco as they are "jointly liable" for this breach of terms and conditions, which will probably be the correct route to go down. Tesco had asked me to wait a week before putting in a Section 75, and I have to comply with that (I think). 

• 2 months later...

Final update.

After 3 months of toing and froing with Tesco where they kept asking for the same information and also communication that I do not have (remember the property is not responding), I sent them a strongly worded LBA letter and reply via their silly online system and email, they finally put through the refund. I had my TS on standby to take it further if they refused this LBA (which I ran it by them before sending out).

• Thanks 1