• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hermes 'Insurance'; guitar headstock snapped in transit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

As you may have guessed, I am new here (I imagine you get a lot of us)

First off,  @BankFodderyou are a legend! This particular Hermes thread and all of your guidance contained within has been extremely useful for my own similar journey so far.

My case is similar; have used Hermes in the past with no issues until now.

I purchased their services to return an electric guitar to a store valued at ~£600.

I declared 'electric guitar', and was offered insurance, which I added to the purchase without question (how naïve of me...).

The guitar's headstock was snapped in transit - it was packed extemely well (I have been buying / selling fragile music equipment for ~10 years now).

The receiving store notified me upon receipt, and I proceeded with the initial Hermes claim process, they asked for images of the damage which I submitted, and was promptly notified that musical instruments are not covered by their insurance.

I notified them of my intent to claim on 8/6/21, and did actually receive a response that day, but after a bit of back and forth I was offered a 'postage refund' only.

I then proceeded with the claim via the MCOL portal that evening (not sure if I was supposed to leave more time?) to which Hermes filed an acknowledgment of service on 11/06/2021.

As I understand it, more than 28 days have now passed since their AOS - so my question is, what should I do now?

Any help much appreciated!!!

Note:

Just to be clear, the basis of my claim is not that Hermes damaged the guitar in transit, it is that they sold me a service + 'insurance' upon my declaration of the item being sent.

As others have pointed out on this forum, it would be so easy to implement an item categorization system (similar to eBay), that notifies the customer by not allowing them to add insurance to an uninsurable item, and subsequently dissuading them from using Hermes at all to send a valuable item.

Does the business depend on this shady implementation?

Thanks for the prompt reply @BankFodder.

I believe I have already done so (unless there is some other portal?)

This is the progress so far:

Claim History

You submitted a claim on 08/06/2021 at 19:38:16

Your claim was issued on 09/06/2021

HERMES PARCELNET LIMITED filed an acknowledgment of service on 11/06/2021 at 08:05:28

I was under the impression that their AOS means I have to wait for them to file a defense.

The 'request judgement' button is available but I wasn't sure if I had to do anything else prior to that.

Thanks for your help.

I will do some reading and familiarize myself.

The guitar is repairable - I imagine the cost would be around £200 to £300 (I have had immense difficulty in obtaining an actual quote for the repair or partial refund from the original guitar retailer that I returned it to.)

When you say post up the claim form, do you mean my 'particulars of claim' used in the form?

As I don't currently have a way to blank the identifiers in the PDF, I have pasted the particulars for you below and hope this is sufficient. I have also now noticed I have not followed up on the last sentence...

The claimant used the courier service provided by the defendant courier company to send an electric guitar to a third party.

Reference number (redacted). The defendant company has admitted that they have damaged the item and refuse to compensate the claimant.

The value of the item sent was £599. The delivery fee was £20.18. The claimant claims full reimbursement of £619.18 (item value plus delivery fee plus insurance cost).

I will provide the defendant with separate detailed particulars within 14 days after service of the claim form.

My cause of action was that Hermes damaged the guitar and refused to pay any compensation (I intended the sentence about the 'basis of my claim' in the original post to be read rather informally but apologies if I have confused matters - I understand that your are just trying to help.)

As stated - I have not sent them a separate 'particulars of claim' within 14 days and have just realized this mistake on my part.

Would you advise I do this now; or revise my claim down once I have a cost-of-repair quote?

I cannot recall whether or not I clicked the checkbox that said I would send an additional particulars of claim.

I certainly don't have my hopes up for them not filing a defense - will monitor the claim portal closely over the next few days.

Point taken regarding posting documents and your advice - I will post a PDF of the defense here if / when it appears.

I believe I did send a proper letter of claim, but only via email and not physical post - perhaps another error on my part. PDF of this attached.

Hermes Claim.pdf

Yes they do at least make clear that the cover is only up to £300, which I would have accepted if it had been offered upon my initial attempt to claim reimbursement with them directly.

I have attached a recreation of what the initial transaction would have looked like to me prior to making initial payment.

The latest update on the claim portal is 'DQ sent to HERMES PARCELNET LIMITED on 13/07/2021' which I am guessing means 'defence questionnaire'?

I take it I will then need to complete a questionnaire as well, and respond to the points raised in their defence?

Thank you for you help again @BankFodderand I will certainly be making a donation to the group regardless of whether or not any additional guidance is provided.

pasted image 0_Redacted.pdf

DQ received. It doesn't seem to indicate anything in relation to Hermes' willingness to go to mediation, but as I'm sure you're aware the first section of the DQ is my YES / NO to mediation.

It seems straight forward enough but I can post it up if you want to see it.

Once I have completed and returned it, I will continue to prepare for mediation, if that stage is reached.

Yes I received a copy of their defence (posted earlier) along with a blank N180. Completing this now.

The only questions I am not 100% certain of are:

At which County Court hearing centre would you prefer the small claims hearing to take place and why?         (I will simply choose my nearest hearing centre; not written here in order to maintain anonymity)

Are you asking for the court’s permission to use the written evidence of an expert?                                               No

How many witnesses, including yourself, will give evidence on your behalf at the hearing?                                   1

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apologies for the late update. Thanks everyone.

Mediation Summary

> Initial claim was for £599 + postage (~£20) + claim fee (£70),  they offered a postage refund upon the opening of mediation.

> I said no, then they offered £300+postage (the insurance max clearly stated as £300 at my time of ordering and would have accepted from them pre-claim).

> I expressed that I would have accepted that when I first contacted them about the transit damage but they would now have to pay my claim cost of £70, as it is Hermes fault we are at this stage given that they have already agreed to owing £300, they agreed.

The mediator was extremely pleasant to deal with.

• Thanks 1