split tyre after 2 miles

HP Mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had 2 tyres replaced today.  I decided to go second hand, £35/tyre + balancing charge of £16.  Workshop owner gave me the option of cash w/o vat.   So I did.  Which equally meant no receipt.

Drove 1 mile to private sports centre, stayed 1 hour, and then headed to fill tank up.  As I pulled into the garage a random guy pointed at the car and said I had a flat tyre.   So I returned to the workshop. No more than 2 miles driven.

The owner removed the tyre and I could see a split right by the centre metal hub and hear the air gushing out.   He said someone had clearly slashed the tyre.    No way that had happened.  Imo it had been defective.

He and his colleagues were trying to say that it was my responsibility and would have to pay for another tyre.

I stood my ground and did get him to replace it.

But I just wanted to ask - once I left the workshop was it my responsibility for anything that happened?   And cos I paid cash I had no rights?

Or because of the lack of time and distance since they replaced it, they were responsible ?

“Paid cash” isn’t the issue.

”Paid cash, off the books to avoid VAT, so no receipt ” is the issue.

a) they are dodgy.

b) expect them to deny selling you anything if there is a major problem. Be glad they replaced it, as

c) to enforce your rights, if they denied selling you the tyre, you’d have to persuade a court they had sold you the tyre “off the books”, (as the reason for cash, no receipt) which means you are willing to collude in their illegal actions….

Edited by BazzaS

Yes Bazza - thats what was going through my mind as I was complaining.   Silly me.

I suddenly realised that the cash aspect was never really my gain - it simply meant he could provide sub-standard goods that - with no debit card payment and receipt - I would find it very hard to prove. 

Paying cash meant I was denying myself of consumer rights.  I was cursing myself.    Saved £17 in vat - but in hindsight it was false economy. 

Now I'm nervous about the quality and gonna have to go elsewhere to get the replacement tyres checked!  Just in case.

The split was really bad.  It was gushing air.  I'm very lucky I didn't drive far.

They were very busy.  And they offered every client the cash option ...

Edited by HP Mum

I really don't think the denial of any consumer rights you may have had, or even that he offered and you accepted his offer, for cash. Even colluding with him to defraud HMRC.

What on earth possessed you to fit two second hand tyres, whatever they cost. Those two bits of used, cheap, history unknown, black circles of rubber are your only contact with the road. If you drive on a dual carriageway at 70mph these things keep you alive.

My advice, hopefully seen before this gets deleted as sanctimonious, is to get them changed again, double quick, for  brand new budget ones.

OMG

WWW.TYRE-SHOPPER.CO.UK

We supply leading tyres brands across Premium, Mid-Range and Budget to suit all vehicles and budgets. Buy online and FREE local fitting or low cost mobile fitting.

Not an Advert

Hammy

Edited by Hammy1962

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

• 2 months later...