• Tweets

• Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
    • Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

New Tricks From Citi?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last week I sent SAR to CITI asking for data on two old credit cards that had been defaulted. (PROVIDIAN and People Bank)

TODAY - surprise surprise I got a "court claim" from them!!!! claiming the two balances on the cards in full.

they are using a solicitor called

HODSONS

GLEBE HOUSE

2 CLIFTON ROAD

RUGBY

WARWICKSHIRE

CV21 3PX

Is there a MOD who can PM me please??

Has anyone else had this type of response??

Just thought I'd warn others that this may be a new trick from this bunch

Providan are not part of Citi they weretaken over by Barclays - so waiting for info from Citi on this will be no help to you at all on this.

It seems that Peoples bank is part of Citibank not citicards - so again a different address for your info.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Gizmo thanks for that - it was Link DCA's who had been recent DCA's with both those cards - we'd not heard in a while off them.

I somehow thought it was cause I'd sent the SAR's last week for both those cards.

I shall defend part of claim as a huge chunk is interest that they've been adding to cards since they were defaulted in 2002 - amazing how these cards limits have doubled and tripled over time? Both had insurance which when redunancy took place they would allow insurance to cover etc..gave us usual fob offs.

What do I write with my defence for this?? - I have been looking around to try find something similar. I am worried that the SAR info won't arrive prior to this case etc. and I won't have proper figures to quote etc.. it will be guesswork without that.

Do I need to ask for credit agreement with this ?? Link or their solicitors may not have this cause agreement was with card companies - so all the info is with them?

I am just wondering how I get round this stuff now!!

Thanks for your help - it is appreciated.

Gizmo - No we didn't get any warning from them just the court claim. But I have been reading over on the DCA Kings Hill/Cabot threads tonight and seems we were not the only ones who got a court claim from these people - seems a new tack of theirs - several others have had the same thing - with same "particulars of claim" written saying Cabot do the admin etc.. (see Ivorbiggun's thread) seems they are trying to beat a few of us to post?

They are also trying for charges on properties too - do they not need to go to court for this?

I need to see what to file in our defence with this - as I won't know what the actual charges are on these card accounts. I realsie they won't send me the SAR stuff to help my defence (not in their interests to do this is it?) - should I write to Link for signed credit agreements for the two cards with £1 - they should have that?

Another thing that concerns me - these cards were defaulted in 2002 and Link reports monthly to credit agencies (it's on our experian reports) can they still add charges to cards already defaulted and if so shouldn't they be sending us statements showing exactly what the charges are made up of? cause we don't know whether this is punitive charges, interest, their own fees etc.. - they have never told us what these charges are and the cards seems to go up every month still - where is the point that they have to stop adding to a defaulted debt?

I will write to Kings Hill asking for a copy of credit agreement and what the charges are but need some help to word it - as I am sure they'll ignore me!!

The DCA threads are full of pranks off this company - I am concerned about the threads where they say this company is after charges on houses etc.. can they do this?

any advice will be gratefully accepted - the insurance should have covered hubby's redundancy back in 2002 - and now these people terrorise us - wish I knew how to stop them!!

HI Lizy

I think while your waiting for them to satisfy your DSAR (i take it your sending S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) made them reply with these court claims) I think i would go to the court monday morning and explain the situation to one of the court staff they may be able to point you in the right direction as to get the case delayed (although with all the claims against banks going on i would'nt have thought it wpould be this side of spring)until you have the paperwork you require. You could also send off for a copy of the the original agreement Under Consumer Credit Agreement 1974 send a £1 postal order to them Template:http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html letter N. also you would want the Deed of Assignment and a statement of accounts (this may come with your SAR)(i think) more http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/33174-consumer-credit-act-agreements.html here and here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions/10900-loan-company-cannot-supply.html?highlight=baconbuttyman i know its a lot of reading:eek: but if it helps.

Bit more http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/

HTH

AL

-------------------------

CAPITAL ONE * SETTLED*31st Oct 06

HBOS *SETTLED* 8th Oct 06

WOOLWICH *SETTLED*12thJan2007

Monument (Barclays) *SETTLED*10thMar2007

Hiya Al,

Thank you for your pointers and help - so glad I am here where I can see all this helpful information.

I will send for the Signed credit agreements with the letter from here and £1 postal order - and see what they come up with - I just read the cca threads and it seems these companies send back some real "garbage" in response to that - so I shall hang out for the "real thing".

Rhia is advising me as to how to respond on the reply I need to send to court in response to the court claim off these people.

SAR's had already been sent last week so I shall wait for those to be sent to us so we can defend with accurate figures etc.. I shall try explain that on court reply form etc.. Not sure whether court will allow the 40 day time limit on these SAR's etc.. but can try ask them to allow me time to prepare defence?.(I am sure the courts realise the SAR stuff is a slow process with these companies and so on.

Seems these companies are trying new tricks everyday to bully people and try new ways to scare people into paying up or dropping cases etc..

But overall the cards in this court claim are in dispute?

Thanks Al - I am reading till my head spins trying to figure best way around this - and how to reply to court. I am sure it will work out for best.

Im sure the court would delay any order if you are awaiting evidence to defend a claim. If you told the court they are allowed 40 days to supply SAR info, CCA 1974 is 12 working days then they are in default and cannot enforce the agreement after a further 30/31 days they commit an offence and would need to go to court to enforce the order. so you would need a couple of months at the minimum to arange you evidence for a defence.

AL

Al - I AM SURE YOU ARE RIGHT WITH THAT - I shall tell court exactly what this company are up to etc.. & what I have requested - and will complain to the information commissioner if they delay etc.. seems they know I rely on this data to build my defence etc.. ?

HOWEVER - if this company are SO SURE they're right in taking us to court etc.. they'll have absolutely no problem providing me with the data if we have no defence ?????? :D:D:D

I read somewhere that mostly these companys do not even turn up at court :o on the premise that the defendant aint gonna show anyway and normally thats probably what happens and they get awarded the claim because there is no challenge, so if you make an appearance at the court your one up on them to start with and i suppose you would get the nice district judge all to yourself . Its true you need to defend your case and for that you are entitled to your evidence im sure one of the Mods would point you in the best direction as to what action to take at court in your defence. Myself i would be giving the Debt and baliff forum a good read there must be similar stuff in there.

Chin up, AL ;)

Thanks AL - I think I read somewhere you can request the case is heard locally - so will do that if we can (don't even know where Rugby is) - I shall attend where ever this is - cause I intend for us to defend this - will be interesting to see how they go on etc..?

We've requested the information we need to defend this as in the CCA & SAR's so can put together our response to this. Can't do much till then -other than reply saying we intend to defend and are waiting for account statements etc.. and that the accounts in the calim are in dispute with the lenders - and point out that this is a DCA who is trying to claim money etc.. - hopefully we should get chance to defend ourselves.

thanks for your time AL - help is appreciated on this.

Hiya Karnevil,

We got the claim on Wednesday 6th December - so we have a 14 day thing to reply?

I wasn't sure whether to defend part or all of claim - as the biggest part is actually charges etc..

I shall explain on my reply to court that we have asked for SAR info and CCA's to build our defence and will ask for time to gather this information etc..

I get a feeling the companies will drag feet getting info to us cause they'll know we will rely on it to defend ourselves etc.. but we can't give court and exact figure without this info?

I aim to reply sort of mid week to court and will record delivery of CCA requests etc.. and reply to courts so I know the replies don't get held up in the posr

Elizabeth,

I had very similar, not from citi though.

I am defending my court claim and Done both S.A.R. and CCA request as they didn't supply data that they were using for their claim.

sent letter below, and also copy to courts to place on file.

Dear Sir

In the XXXX County Court

(claimant) -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

REQUEST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

I have today filed the Acknowledgement of Service (copy attached) in order that I may file my Defence to these proceedings in due course. By my calculations this must be filed and served no later than 4.00pm on (28 days from the date you received the court claim). However, before doing so, I take the view that your pleadings are not entirely clear and as such, do not appear to disclose any reasonable cause of action against myself. Although this matter may be suitable for the Small Claims Track the purpose of this letter is to make a request for some additional information in order to fully understand your claim and how it is calculated.

I note in your pleadings that you are claiming (alleging) that an amount of £AMOUNT is ‘part of a debt due under an agreement number (AGREEMENT NUMBER)’, and also that I ‘agreed to pay the Claimant £(TOTAL)’ – however you do not provide details of how you have reached these amounts, nor any information, or a copy of this ‘agreement number (AGREEMENT NUMBER)’ you refer to.

In light of this, can you please provide me with the following:

• A true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to.
  • How you calculate the sum of £(AMOUNT)
  • How you calculate the sum of £(TOTAL)

We would be grateful if you would respond within 21 days of the above date.

In the event that I do not hear from you at the end of this period, I may apply for your Claim to be struck out on the grounds that it does not disclose any reasonable cause of action against me, together with an Order for Costs in the Defendant’s favour. I trust that you will note this particular point.

In any event, kindly acknowledge safe receipt of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

YOUR NAME

I have defended the whole claim bcoz YOU do not know the amounts involved, so you cannot defend part of the claim.

Also requested a stay 'til this info is supplied as there is no way I can defend without the data.

There is a form for a defence and counterclaim BUT, you have to place a MAXIMUM amount in the claim amount box and you cannot claim over this, even if your reclaiming of the charges etc. exceeds this amount.

You have to pay a fee depending on the claim amount.

The claimant will most probably defend, then you will receive an Allocation Questionnaire and you can then request the stay pending delivery of data/documents.

Got the advice from this group (wonderful people), hope this helps

SHERLOCK

• Haha 1

Yep that looks like its got it all covered there and of course if they cant supply the Agreement and they still proceed they are going to look very stupid when they go in front of the judge. :o

Excellent post from Sherlock just what you wanted elizabeth.:D

AL.