Tax credit compliance telephone interview

Whatnext540
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I hope someone can help with some advice. I have received a letter saying I need to have a telephone interview to review my tax credits. I have a feeling (after many google searches) that this may be down to covid and reduced childcare hours and I didn’t or haven’t  amended anything and now I am panicking I’ve been majorly over paid childcare tax credits. 

I don’t have any proof of what we’ve had and I can’t even remember when the children were in after school club and when they were at home with me.

I am a single mom of three and I don’t know what to do! 

Hello, welcome to CAG.

Tax credits people are normally fair-minded from what we've seen.

The best thing is to tell the truth and I think you'll find they're understanding. If there's been an overpayment you will have it deducted from future benefits.

Also have a read around our HMRC forum for threads by other people who have had the same problem. That way you'll see how the system works but I think I can say that everyone we've seen turning up feeling how you feel has been a lot better when they've had the phone call. :)

Best, HB

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Would not worry about it. Some people have wrong information registered with HMRC for 5 years or more.

HMRC are just interested in having records corrected.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

8 minutes ago, TopsyandTim said:

I’ve also had a letter. Also worrying (because that’s what I’m like) I’m in a similar boat- below the childcare threshold for my claim from 6/4/21 to now as she hasn’t needed to go. Perhaps I should have reverted it to zero. And restarted in September? 

Please will you start your own thread so that this matter can be handled separately.

Mine is worse than that it’s from April 2020- during lockdown. My child care needs changed and I’ve been all over the place. I should have called and discussed it but it was all up in the air and chaotic. I’m not sure how to explain this without sounding like a fraud. :(

Wait until the compliance review call.  Others have tried to call HMRC beforehand and been told to wait until the compliance phone call.

You will one of many thousands of people with exactly the same issue.  The last 12 months in the UK have been a nightmare and people have not kept information up to date.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

On 05/07/2021 at 19:14, Whatnext540 said:

Mine is worse than that it’s from April 2020- during lockdown. My child care needs changed and I’ve been all over the place. I should have called and discussed it but it was all up in the air and chaotic. I’m not sure how to explain this without sounding like a fraud. :(

Hi there,

just checking how you got on with your compliance call? As I recently got a letter  that they are looking at my childcare costs through April 20 - 21 and like yourself I didn’t amend anything and childcare has varied! 

what happened in the end? I’m in sheer panic here.

many thanks 

Mine isn’t until 19th and I’m beside myself with worry. I haven’t been honest and I feel awful. 

im trying to take peoples advice on here and be positive but I’m not seeing how they’ll be so understanding. 

sorry I can’t help x

please stop worrying 

there is very very little they can actually do other than get small payments of any overpayment.

yours is VEREY VERY small fry, and will only be a few £100's , chicken feed to them.

they are only ever interested in mass gang related frauds (yours is not fraud, it's a human mistake) 

simply be honest and truthful.

lost count of the number of like threads in this forum, with people panicking about a telephone compliance call, and it turns out to be all ok in the end.

theres even one here of £32k and that was resolved in small payments.

chin up.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...