My Mum 2 v Yorkshire Bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone

Fantastic forum, lots of helpful people and great info

I am doing this on behalf of my mum who the bank have fleeced over the years, and I want the old dear to have the cash back.

I already have the statements for the past 6 years and after a quick run through the sums are around 2.3k, however I am unsure of which charges to actually include. I have had a good mooch round the forum and still not 100%, so if someone could give a little helping hand that would be great.

In the statements the names of the charges are as follows

Unauth O/D Fee

Debit Under Advice

Unpaid Loan Charge

Unpaid Chq Chg

Unpaid DD Charge

Charges

Debit Interest

I am a little stumped on if I claim on the ones labeled "charges" and "debit interest" In the step by step it doesnt really make reference to those two but, from reading the threads and mention of JMio's and reading that I gather I do include those two charges. Am I right in thinking this?

Any input greatly appreciated

Hi Mick, welcome to the site :D

You don't include Debit Under Advice in your schedule [thats' normally if you've authorised a cheque or whatever to go thru - i.e if you cancel your cheques/cards due to theft/loss/whatever, but have a transaction outstanding - the bank usually call/write to ask if you still want it to go thru.

Debit Interest is a bit tricky - you can only claim the part of the debit interest which relates to the actual charges, and not your overdraft in general. This can be really difficult to calculate, and it's not always worth bothering with, depending on the amounts.

Everything else on your list is fair game - go for it! Just don't expect it to be easy with Yorkshire, as you'll see if you've read any of the other threads in this forum!

Best of luck, and just give a yell here in your thread if you've any questions.

PJ x

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

Hi PJ

Thanks for the reply

I havent actually totaled the debit interest but I will and see what the amounts are and then look further into it, I did my scratch my head while reading the JMio thread :)

Thanks alot

Regards

Mick

Hi Mick, welcome to the site :D

You don't include Debit Under Advice in your schedule [thats' normally if you've authorised a cheque or whatever to go thru - i.e if you cancel your cheques/cards due to theft/loss/whatever, but have a transaction outstanding - the bank usually call/write to ask if you still want it to go thru.

Debit Interest is a bit tricky - you can only claim the part of the debit interest which relates to the actual charges, and not your overdraft in general. This can be really difficult to calculate, and it's not always worth bothering with, depending on the amounts.

Everything else on your list is fair game - go for it! Just don't expect it to be easy with Yorkshire, as you'll see if you've read any of the other threads in this forum!

Best of luck, and just give a yell here in your thread if you've any questions.

PJ x

Sorry to contradict you PJ hun, but I had some debits under advice that I'm claiming for. They let some payments through which I don't think had anything to do with cheques, and I'm sure I didn't lose or have anything stolen, so I have claimed them. Also, I have now had YB's own version of what they charged me and they have included them.

The proportion of the debit interest relating to unlawful charges can be calculated using the site spreadsheets. Fill in the amount and the calculation is done for you. It depends on the size of your claim if you think it worth bothering with. Also when you complete your court claim and add on the 8% statutory interest, you can claim interest on the interest you are claiming, and if it goes back a long way that's worth having too.

A lot of people seem to be settling lately without accepting interest to avoid a long drawn out delay in getting their money, so YB are still making money out of people by being difficult. I understand why people accept it, but it's just typical YB intimidation and it makes my blood boil that they're getting away with it.

I'm holding out for my interest, consoled by the fact that every day payment is delayed, YB will have to pay me a bit more money back when the time comes.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

thanks caro and jules for explaining things for me :)

Using the spreadsheets the interest comes in at £476 and I dont really see a conclusion before xmas so holding out for the full amount seems the way forward, there is no hurry :)

Quite right Mick. It's money you probably thought you'd never see again anyway and I think people should hold out for as long as it takes to get full settlement. If not we are still allowing the banks to keep control and I believe we should make sure everyone gets their full entitlement, or the banks will continue to manipulate us.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think it's YB's latest tactic, they know they can't win so they try to limit the damage by making it relatively easy to get paid out with no interest etc but difficult and daunting to get the full amount and it must be saving them a fortune and at the end of the day they've still had a free loan, and while it's working they will keep it up.:mad:

• 2 months later...

Just a little update on this and a little question too :)

I have now recieved my allocation questionnaire and ready to take it from there but, I have a little question that's been niggling me since I started the money claim online and think I may have made a mistake.

How important is only going back 6 years on your claim? My claim is within a 6 year period, ie first and last charge claimed but the start date of the mcol is over the 6 years. The first charge claimed is dated 30/11/00 and I started the claim online in January 07, is this important and have I made a mistake?

You must have sent your prelim letter and L.B.A etc in Nov/Dec 2006 so that would take you back to Nov 2000 :p You are right in claiming back to then so nothing to worry about. Good luck.

Sarah.

Yorkshire Bank

Started Process 19th Sept 2006.

All Stages Followed.

Next Step Court!

Hearing Date 7th June 2007.

WON!!!!! 6th June 2007 :D

Frequently Asked Questions

Example Step-By-Step Instructions

• 2 weeks later...

A little update and a couple of more questions, be a shame not to :)

Received yb's AQ today and also an offer from them "Without Prejudice save as to costs" for £1820 including Court costs, no cheque but a notice of discontinuance. Do I write back rejecting this offer or just let the court proceedings continue while ignoring the letter?

Also in saffyuks thread she mentions that her statements/schedule of charges weren't attached when she filed her claim, neither did I and I also did not include them with my AQ. Do I need to send a letter to my local court as Michael's reply to saffy with my schedule of charges?

Regards

Mick

It would be polite to reject the offer in writing, and I would send the bank and the court a copy of your schedule, with a covering letter.

• 2 months later...

A little update on this, and a little question :)

After not hearing anything for a while my case was switched from pontefract to leeds and then again to leeds mercantile on the 28th June, I gather this is a good thing or I hope so anyway. Am I right in thinking that I only need to send a cmi sheet at least 7 days before?

Regards

Mick

Check the documentation from the court and also the Mercantile sub-forum, but I would think that is right.