• Tweets

• I've an idea that what this is is clearing out stock of old tech panels as there have been signs of major breakthroughs in solar tech - inc what is effectively solar paint   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021. npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279. The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills. I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this. EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.  I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.  And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

New Role & Pay Rise - New Contract?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been employed full time at the company 3 years. I was informed by email at the end of May I was to start a new role beginning July. The job title and salary were stated and everything else was to be confirmed in writing mid-June. A couple of emails later it transpired there would also be a new contract..

I am of the understanding a new contract does not have to be issued for a change in role or pay.

I have been given the job description and terms this week.

The new paperwork is headed 'Statement of main terms of employment' it isn't as detailed, at 2.5 pages length, as my original paperwork which has a 1 page summary of terms followed by a full contract of 9 pages. The new paperwork goes on to say 'This statement together with the Employee Handbook forms part of your contract of employment, except where the contrary is expressly stated and sets out particulars of the main terms on which [my employer & their address] employs [me]'.

- Is this actually a new contract or a change to the original?

- I've not been informed why this is being issued, just suggested it's part and parcel of the role & rise

- Should I be informed of what has actually been changed instead of having to figure it out myself?

- I've never seen a company handbook - would it be a good idea to look at one now?

- I don't know when the terms are supposed to take effect?

- My new salary isn't stated but it's in the email at the end of May it's from the beginning of July and I've been advised verbally I'll be paid it?

My old contract says changes can be made to any of my terms and conditions of employment, being informed of any such changes in writing - the changes taking effect from the date of notice. Significant changes will be notified not less than one month in advance.

The main change I can see, which I'm not happy about - is that to summarise - under my old contract I work 37.5 hours. Overtime including weekends and bank holidays may be required but under mutual agreement and paid at 1.5x. Under the new contract I work the same 37.5 hours BUT it says they may be adjusted to suit the needs of the company, I may be required to work additional hours as necessitated by the needs of the company and as a manager, overtime is not paid for hours outside of those contracted.

Would this class as significant changes? Obviously my hours are not going to decrease for the same pay. I work my contractual hours, very hard and projects are completed on time. I only ever did a couple of hours paid overtime which was a task not part of my role and had to specifically be done outside of working hours. I think a few employees left lately due to having to do unpaid overtime evenings and weekends - albeit they were not managers.

Would a good compromise be to ask for time in lieu? for example some time ago I was informed a colleague works many additional hours but they can leave the workplace without notice if there is something they need to go and do? is that the same as time in lieu?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by chaoticj

This isn't a response to all the issues you raise but a comment on two points

You are correct that if your contract of employment changes the employer isn't required to issue a completley new contract. Written confirmation of the changes is sufficient.

If the employer deems what's in a staff handbook to be part of your contract of emplyment then yes it must be made available to you. They don't have to give a printed copy though. Making it available on an internal intranet site is OK. Ask HR how you access it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ethel Street said:

This isn't a response to all the issues you raise but a comment on two points

You are correct that if your contract of employment changes the employer isn't required to issue a completley new contract. Written confirmation of the changes is sufficient.

If the employer deems what's in a staff handbook to be part of your contract of emplyment then yes it must be made available to you. They don't have to give a printed copy though. Making it available on an internal intranet site is OK. Ask HR how you access it.

Hi Ethel Street,

Thanks - so what they have given me is essentially written confirmation of the changes to the original contract? A lot of it is the same though or perhaps the same but worded a little differently?

Presumably the handbook is going to say what certain company policies are so I would be best to make myself aware of it all.

chaoticj

Edited by chaoticj

Been through similar contract changes. Where company significantly updates employment contract, they issue a new contract document, rather than an addendum to the previous contract.

The company should have been open and honest telling you that overtime terms were being withdrawn.  For the Bank I worked for, they paid a one off lump sum of money to recognise that my new terms of employment now included working later into evenings and Saturdays, when previously I would have been paid overtime rates for hours outside of contract. I was given the option of not signing new contract, but it was made clear that pay rises and opportunities for old contract employees would be minimal. And that if I was ever offered promotion, I would have to accept new contract. 

What you will find under your new contract is that you will be expected to work additional hours as required and there are no rights to have time off using any additional hours credit you have built up. And the company are pretty unlikely to confirm any such rights in writing. Instead they will tell you to speak to your line manager and colleagues, to ensure business needs are always covered,  before any flexibility with hours.  They will talk about work/life balance, but if your company is always busy or always having staff off work for whatever reason, you will be working 60 hours a week, with it being difficult to take time off using any additional hours credit.

Not saying this is right what employers are doing. Suggest that you always record your hours fully every day and you do speak to your line manager about your work hours on a regular basis.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria67,

So would this be classed as a 'reasonable change' as per my original contract or a 'significant change'? Let's say I accept and further down the line they decide they want me to work longer hours, or unpaid overtime which to use your example results in a 60 hour week - seems quite significant to me?

Spoke to my line manager today and asked some questions:

- What is the reason for change in terms?
The HR company has issued this - everyone has had it - a standard statement - it's mandatory.

- What is being changed?

No change - just your job title and pay.

- When does this come into effect from?

Today, when you sign it - you don't get the extra pay until you do.

(Then I say I was advised the job title and pay would be with effect from July, which was long before I had any job description or contract change to look at)

- I've read it and there are two points here which I'm not too keen on.. will my working hours change? is there an expectation of unpaid overtime?

No
(Then I ask if we can remove this part) No we can't take it out

(Then I ask if I can have time in lieu instead) No we can't do that, it's the same for everyone

Cue a discussion about some of my concerns and thoughts.. where it's mentioned 'if someone doesn't like it there are other options out there' which I take to mean they would look to dismiss me?

Then I'm really complemented, flattered about the quality of my work etc. and that I won't be asked to do more than I currently do.. as an agreement between the two of us?

Thoughts? I'm currently thinking I'm a bit forced into accepting it.. but get seriously looking elsewhere as I feel the pay even with the increase is well below what I could be earning and it's a bit of a toxic environment.

Regards,

chaoticj

If they are removing overtime pay terms and making changes which you feel are significant, then I suggest that you discuss with Union if you are a member or contact ACAS. 

WWW.ACAS.ORG.UK

If the new contract is  paying you a higher salary in lieu of the changes, if you did not accept the new contract, you would remain on the previous salary level and old contract terms.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Is your old job still available? You can accept the new job, go back to your old one or, if it isn't there, ask to be made redundant.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi,

After thinking about this I decided I wasn't happy with the contract changes. Verbal agreements can't be relied upon and if I change manager they could enforce the terms.

So I emailed my manager saying further to our discussion where they said there would be no changes to my contract, working hours or requirement to do unpaid overtime could they please reply and confirm this. Upon which I'd be happy to sign the contract.

It's been a couple of days and no reply.. how would you proceed?

Many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

So just to update.. I did chase this up with my manager as I hadn't heard anything for a couple of weeks and was concerned I could be seen after.. say a month as deemed to be working under the contract amendments. The response was them reiterating that the contract amendments were as presented and couldn't be changed, the same for everyone and saying we could have a meeting about the 'alternatives' if need be.

Anyway I decided to stick to my guns and reiterate my own position which was that I wanted to come to a compromise that was acceptable for both parties. I'd be happy to sign if my manager could put in writing I wouldn't be held to compulsory unpaid overtime or have my hours changed. I was not expecting to be paid for overtime as per current contract and if some unpaid overtime was required as long as it wasn't due to say a colleague leaving something until the last minute then obviously as a manger I would do it. Otherwise could we have the meeting to discuss the 'alternatives'.

Surprisingly my manager then had a meeting with me where they instantly agreed with everything I had said/previously said, put in writing I wouldn't be held to compulsory unpaid overtime or have my hours changed, signing and dating this, my increased salary would be paid that month and going over a few other points they knew I'd been a bit unhappy about as well as my general well being.

What I then did was take a copy of said document and attach the original to the copy of the contract amendments I then signed and returned to them, making a note that there was an attached addendum.

Regards,

chaoticj

Edited by chaoticj
  • Like 1