Owed Money, Go To Small Claims?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took a year off to travel.

Let my flat to a building company as a company let, who used it to house employees.

Contract was for a year, they asked to stay longer, I agreed because I was enjoying myself.

However, rent payments became unreliable.

The company has now left the flat, unfortunately owing me £571.

Looking at the company records at Company House, no accounts have been filed for a few years, the registered company address is a house in Doncaster and every time I managed to speak to someone on the phone, it was a different person.

If I take this to small claims court, then win a judgement, how likely am I to see any money?

At least I can now live in my flat again, sleeping on a friends sofa isn't great!

If I've put this in the wrong forum section, please move.

Thanks 

What is the name of the company?

You are absolutely right to be concerned about enforcement. People always think that they can go ahead and get a judgment and then everything will fall into place. Enforcement of judgements is one of the first things that people should think about.

How long is this money been outstanding? £571 plus the accumulated interest might take you to more than £600 in which case if you had a judgement you could try having enforced by the High Court enforcement officers – but even they may have difficulty.

You need to find out more about the company, do they have any assets

Thanks

It's a company called Hyper Construction of Doncaster.

As I speak, they're probably doing the same thing in the Swindon area, that's where the guys who lived in my flat said they were going next.

I know its not a lot of money, I'm more fed up that they'll get away with not paying their bills,  I'm sure if it was the other way round, a fleet of new Range Rovers would be outside with a gaggle of builders threatening me!

I'm sure any assets will be hidden, I'd hope that a CCJ may slow them down?

The registered address of the company looks like a residential property.

If you go to the land registry web search service, you might be able to find out who it is who owns the address. It might be a reachable asset.

There would be a small fee for that search