David Lloyd Cancellation Due to Relocation

sptltd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have seen the numerous threads here about not having to worry about gym debts and collectors ,..etc. However, I am slightly nervous and I would like to double checks with the experts on here.

I signed up to Standard DL membership in September 2020. I have just moved to another city but when I visited the local DL club it was way smaller and did not have as many facilities such as tennis/squash courts and so on.

I did not like the facilities in the new club as it felt like a downgrade and I  certainly did not want to pay the same amount per month for a much smaller club. I gave in my cancellation notice on 16/06/2021 and when I heard nothing from them, I cancelled my direct debit a week after. 

I just got an email from them stating the below:

"As you are within your initial term, your membership will be extended by the number of months of Club closure as our Standard contracts requires 12 full calendar months of payment.
The earliest date we can end your membership is the 1st March 2022.
We can transfer your membership to the nearest Club or if you are requesting to end your membership due to relocation to a new address more than 10 miles form a David Lloyd Club we can review this notice period for you. Please send proof of your new address to support an early cancellation and we will be able to review your notice for you."

My 2 main issues with this is as follows:
1- COVID is not fault so why should I be tied for 5 more months, and I am not keen to pay £900 (~£100 x 9 months left) for something I won't use.
2- My nearest club is 7 miles away so I don't meet the 10 miles criteria.

Now I am not sure what to do here.

Are the downgraded facilities enough reason for me to get out of this?

I agreed to sign up to the DL after being shown around the facilities in my old city, but I wouldn't have signed up to this new one, and I am pretty sure even DL charges less per month for this new club.

Any advice on how to get back to them will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

you are correct

IMHO they owe you.

moving is a perfect reason to cancel.

they are WRONG you must pay a full 12mts. 

1 month after cancel at best

when was the last time you physically paid anything?

ignore them all.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx for your prompt response.

My last DD was paid on 01/06/2021 which technically covers all of this month. I will only offer to pay for one more month out of courtesy. 

In all honesty, I am not sure on how to put this in writing to them?  It is fair wanting to cancel because of relocation but they will just keep quoting their T's & C's to me it seems.

Any ideas?

Thank you! 

Courtesy ...?  

Bless.

Hi Sptltd and welcome to CAG

You don't need to pay for gym m/ship when the gym was closed, nor can the gym extend your 12 month initial m/ship period.

And if the newer/closer gym is smaller and not as desireable as the one you signed up to, you can cancel regardless of whether you meet the gyms own T&C's. There's nothing the gym or their admin Co can do to harm you.

If you're done with this gym, let us know and we'll help you end the m/ship that they want to continue.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello slick132,

Many thanks for confirming this. I sent the following email to DL yesterday, still waiting for their response:

"I am requesting to end my membership due to relocation. I am not happy with my new local club facilities in Brighton, and I would have not signed up if it wasn't for the Southampton facilities. Furthermore, I do not see why I should be financially tied for 5 more months because of COVID?

I can provide evidence of my new address if it will be used to waive my notice period. Please note that I have already cancelled my direct debit. Last payment was made on 01/06/2021 which covers all of June. I have already relocated and have not been using the facilities since early June."

If they come back to me insisting that I continue my membership then I may need your help in drafting something back.

Thanks again!

Well at least they know in writing what you are trying to do, but I have to say that your letter looks as if you are approaching them as a supplicant – which is not really to my taste.

YMMV.

YMMV - today's another school day for me !!

Hi Spt,

You don't need to provide the gym with any such proof.

They'll probably come back insisting that you reinstate the DD mandate and maybe pay an admin fee - ignore this and don't bother replying further.

Keep us posted but don't get drawn into further exchanges with DL or their Admin Co.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks YMMV, duly noted.

Hi Slick, I will take your advice on board and stop engaging with DL. I have seen from a few threads here that eventually DCA gets involved with some intimidation tactics, but I haven't seen anyone's feedback on how far they got with DCA after simply ignoring them.

Spl

Edited by sptltd

Dca's are powerless on any debt

Gyms don't do court

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...