• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Vodafone contract with no physical proof

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, 

I purchased a new contract through a different company as I thought I only had a SIM card from Vodafone. However I have tried to cancel my sim only from them and they are saying I’m in a ‘sim only’ contract and I will be liable to pay a £400 release fee. 

however, I don’t remember signing myself up to be in a 24 month contract in a SIM card. As well as this I’m pretty sure there’s no physical proof of this so contract. I never signed a contract for this sim and shouldn’t have to pay the £400 release fee. 

can someone advise me on what my options are in this situation. Do I have a leg to stand on in terms of arguing with vodaphone. 

Did you activate the Sim or use the service?

When did you purchase the sim and which is the "different company"?

The sim is currently in my pocket old phone and so has been in use since November 2020. I was not made aware at time of purchase that I was tied into a 24 month contract 

I have now purchased a contract with a new phone on three. 

So I understand that you had a Vodafone Sim card. They say there is a 24 month contract and you didn't realise this.

You then decided to change and you entered into a contract with Three.

To your surprise you are now discovering that in fact you have two contracts and Vodafone are trying to impose a £400 cancellation fee.

If this is correct – then I'm afraid there is very little you can do. In my view, you would be committing a breach of contract if you stop paying and they would then be entitled to charge a fee. Under the contract rules, the fee that they will be entitled to charge would simply be a fee to cover their administrative expenses caused by your breach. £400 is far more than that so in my view the £400 cancellation fee is unenforceable.

The trouble is, that if you want to challenge this you will first of all have to stop paying. Then you will have to do hope that Vodafone sues you for the £400 – which is most unlikely. It said they will simply launch into debt recovery mode, spice up your credit file, wreck your financial credit reputation, Harris you with threats and letters for a long time. Eventually sell the debt on to someone else who will start hassling you in the same way and you will never get the matter settled.

Things will only go quiet after you have done the six years of a wrecked credit file and then the default marker will drop off.

I'm afraid that I don't have any positive news for you.

If you want to try and prove that it was simply a monthly Sim contract, then send Vodafone an SAR. However, I'm not aware that they do monthly Sim contract at all. I think you can only get this kind of thing with companies like Giffgaff - which quite frankly is probably about the best telephone provider in the country. I don't think we've ever had any complaints about them. They do month only contracts and you can chop and change every month to get something more suitable.

Okay thank you for your advice. My only query is I never signed a contract for the sim and was Mis sold at the time. The advisor never mentioned that it was a ‘contract’ 

There is no physical copy of the ‘contract’ so am I liable to pay a fee for a contract that doesn’t explicitly exist? 

I'm afraid that by using the service you have effectively accepted the terms of the contract. You want to say that it was a monthly contract and they will say that there is a 24 month contract. You will have to produce evidence to show that you won't informed about any of this because I'm afraid that 24 month contracts are so much in the culture of mobile phone ownership now that it's most likely that the judge will consider that you must have known when you entered into the contract.

A monthly Sim arrangement is extremely unusual.

You can send Vodafone an SAR and see what that produces – as I've said, even if you have evidence that it was never brought your attention, the best you will be able to do is to stop paying and then I've already described will happen.

It's very unfair but when these companies feel that they are owed these kinds of money, they never go to court and have the matter tested by an impartial judge. They simply launch into debt recovery mode

5 minutes ago, Frenchie65 said:

Okay thank you for your advice. My only query is I never signed a contract for the sim and was Mis sold at the time. The advisor never mentioned that it was a ‘contract’ 

There is no physical copy of the ‘contract’ so am I liable to pay a fee for a contract that doesn’t explicitly exist? 

As well as this, the website offers three types of SIM cards 30 day, 12 months and 24 months. I was never offered a choice from the advisor on the chat and I believed it was a 30 day rolling plan 

I didn't know that they offered a monthly contract – but if they do, then certainly it will be worth getting sending them an SAR to see what you get back.