HMRC demanding repayment of tax refund - Fast Tax Rebates Ltd again

Alvinsmalvin

Hi Alvin,

Take time to carefully read the opinion offered above by @taxhelper as it may be your best way forward.

Please contact the police to complain you have been the victim of fraud at the hands of FTR and Alan O'Hara. You may need to be determined as the police may not want to get involved initially.

But once you do this and get a crime Ref No, you will be in a stronger position to deal with HMRC.

The same advice is being given on the other FTR case running here.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Alvin,

Please engage with us by keeping up to date with your thread here as this could be your best chance of challenging HMRC's claim for full repayment to them.

Have you contacted the police and given them all the info you can ?

Thanks.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi, just to keep you updated. I have sent an SAR to HMRC and awaiting a response. 

I have reported this and got a Crime reference number. I am going to contact HMRC to appeal the decision.  They are expecting me to pay 12000 when I only received 4000. Am I doing the right thing?

• Like 1

That sounds good to me, but see what people like Slick think.

How did it go with the police, did you see the local ones?

Edit: I've amended your thread title to show this is Fast Tax Rebates again, in case any other deceived clients are looking for information online.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• honeybee13 changed the title to HMRC demanding repayment of tax refund - Fast Tax Rebates Ltd again

I have reported on the action fraud link above. They report it to the police too. Hope this is right. They have sent me a crime reference number which I am going to send to HMRC when I request an appeal.

I am going to get my colleagues to all do the same so hopefully this will create a bigger argument. I understand I should pay the £4000 as that's what I received. I dont think I should pay the other £8000.

all good, though don't rush to pay HMRC anything yet, but be mindful that at some point, i conclude as you have, they'll want the £4k.

just for point of clarity throughout these recent threads, i would expect each of your mates as well as yourself? were asked to give a few mobile numbers of friends to these scammers at some point thats how you got dragged in?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

On 28/06/2021 at 09:35, Alvinsmalvin said:

Hi somebody from work gave my number to then.  Somebody called Claire rang me on my mobile  I dont have anything bar the emails of me sending my pics.

sorry yes i see now from earlier..i was on a small screen.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Alvin,

Please let us have info we need before you approach HMRC.

1. Have they sent you revised tax assessments, and for which years. 

2. What amount are they now demanding for each year.

A Crime Ref No is a start but you'll need to be far more pro-active about this. You need to contact the police again to find out exactly :-

3. What they are doing to recover your money (approx £8,000).

4. What they will do to trace the alleged fraudster(s).

5. When they will contact HMRC confirming the nature of the alleged.

Have you carefully read through post #26 above - if so, have you and all those affected, made individual complaints to Action Fraud. If you all contact the police and Action Fraud, you will improve your chance of not having to repay the full amount to HMRC.

Hi Alvin and thanks for the info.

The revised assessments for the 3 years will include info on what to do if you dispute the figures, including the date by which you should appeal. Make sure you meet this deadline and make it clear you're disputing all 3 years.

I suggest you put the following as reasons for disputing their figures :-

I dispute the amount demanded for the tax year 2017/18 (2018/19; 2019/20).

I have been the victim of fraud carried out by Fast Tax Rebates Ltd who made a tax repayment claim on my behalf and kept the majority of the tax repaid.

The matter has been reported to Action Fraud who will report the matter to the police. I am waiting to hear back from Action Fraud and the police but I have been given a Crime Ref No. if you require this.

In the meantime please postpone collection of tax demanded for the 3 years.

Do your best to put away money each week or month so, if you ARE required to repay some or all of the tax, you will be better prepared to offer at least something.

Sent email as advised.  They wanted to ring to discuss further but I confirmed I would like everything in writing.

Reply is below- 

Dear Alvinsmalvin,

The email you sent regarding the reason for the appeal is sufficient. 

I will send a letter to you next week and this will set out HMRC’s view of the matter.

The view of the matter has to be sent to you before an appeal or independent review can be considered.  If after receiving the view of the matter letter you then wish to continue with the appeal or an independent review I can ask for that to be done.  At that point I will arrange for the tax to be informally stood over.  Interest will still accrue and be applied if HMRC’s decision is upheld.  Please contact the time to pay helpline on 0300 200 3835 to discuss your payment options.  Any payments you make will reduce the interest.  If HMRC’s decision is reversed the payments you make will be repaid to you.

I understand you would prefer to deal with this via email. 

I am here to guide you through the process.

Kind regards

Hi Alvin,

I've edited your post above - please hide personal data including name, address, etc.

Absolutely right - keep all comms in writing only !

Please confirm, did the person replying give a job title or position, or just their name. We don't need their name but tell us if they used a title or position, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just an update. I have received a letter from my case worker outlining her view of the matter.  

The EIS claims made are invalid and because I have not disputed their decision to remove them I am liable to pay all tax paid to FTR.

It says I made a contractual arrangement with the agent who provided my personal information and it is not for the HMRC to judge the reasonableness of my decision to engage with an agent.

They empathise with anyone who have been misled about tax affairs but the responsibly lies with me. 

Is there a way to post the letter or send it to somebody for advise on my next step?

The next options are ask for an independent review. 

Appeal to the tax tribunal or withdraw my appeal 

I am trying to copy and paste but it won't let me

Hi,

Just an update. I have received a letter from my case worker outlining her view of the matter.  

The EIS claims made are invalid and because I have not disputed their decision to remove them I am liable to pay all tax paid to FTR.

It says I made a contractual arrangement with the agent who provided my personal information and it is not for the HMRC to judge the reasonableness of my decision to engage with an agent.

They empathise with anyone who have been misled about tax affairs but the responsibly lies with me. 

Is there a way to post the letter or send it to somebody for advise on my next step?

The next options are ask for an independent review. 

Appeal to the tax tribunal or withdraw my appeal

Hi Alvin,

Best if you take a pic or scan the comms from HMRC and post here as a PDF but hide any personal info.

Then we can advise a response to HMRC's last comms.

read our upload guide carefully

its all there

dx

and they

Yes downloads are viewable.

The issue you will have with any further appeal to the tax tribunal, is that the grounds for appeal will be fairly narrow.

HMRC just see this as you have used an agent to handle tax returns and you should have taken more care in checking information.  So under the law, you are solely responsible for the repayment of the tax rebate amounts and it is up to you to take separate action against the agent.

If the law does not provide for alleged criminal acts by agents to be considered by HMRC when making decisions, then I am not sure the tax tribubal is going to be able to help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for uploading the letter from HMRC.

We will take time to consider your options properly and come back with suggestions in the next few days.

Please confirm :-

1. Date you sent HMRC the SAR

2. Date of HMRC's letter rejecting the initial appeal.

We need to ensure you don't miss the date to tell HMRC your decision.