NHS glasses vouchers

davina2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can someone explain to me how the NHS vouchers for prescription glasses work?

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/opticians/nhs-voucher-values-for-glasses-and-lenses/

There are different values of the vouchers given. I was prescribed two types of glasses by a Boots optician and was told I would get two £39.10 vouchers. Last time I got my both glasses for free, I used the frames that fall into the category. 

I am sure this was different when I got my glasses the last time. 

I notice now the system is quite complicated for me to understand but I was now given quote of £120  for my two pairs after the vouchers have been applied. 

Edited by davina2
typo

Basically, the NHS pays for a certain amount for different type of lenses depending on what you need.

If you have been told £39.10 for your lenses, these are what are called single vision lenses and the price means that the lenses are not that strong.  If you needed stronger lenses, the voucher would be higher.  If you needed double vision (Bifocals) then the voucher would be higher.

All opticians have different methods of dealing with the frames.  Some opticians will have certain frames that would be included in your prescription voucher value.  Other opticians would have different frames.

All opticians obviously do different frames at various prices, and the value of your voucher would be used as part payment towards that price.

Some opticians price their frames as price before voucher discount, others try to show how much you would pay after the voucher (however this is difficult as the vouchers can vary in value).

Then there is the additional extras, if you chose anti glare or tinted glasses then the price would go up again.

So to work out how much your glasses cost.

Look at the price of the frame (this usually includes the price of single vision lenses) and if you had any additions to the lenses.

So if a frame is priced at around £99 then you would expect to pay around £60 after the basic voucher is taken off. However if you had anti glare or tinted lenses then you would expect to pay between £10 and £40 extra as well.