• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

santander reclaim late fees?

HP Mum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 987 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Santander sent a letter recently offering £s due to mistakes made.

Only their starting balance was wrong - due to late fee charges incorrectly or unfairly added - and they used 8% simple interest to calculate.

So gone through old statements to check all charges.

Calculated £230+ of late penalty charges dating back to 09. 

Added that figure in to a CI excel spreadsheet and used the % they mostly charged (22.25%).   

Its totalling £2k+

I reclaimed penalty charges 5 years ago from Barc.   Is it the same process and same rules and regs to follow now?  Or have there been changes?

Edited by HP Mum

you are correct

is the A/C still active?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

sold to hph (hoist) in Oct 14.  They gave it a new account #

The balance at sale was wrong.  They quoted £295 owed.   Yet there was already £230 of £12 fees + compound interest owed by santander.

The last payment into the account was June 2011. Nothing since.

They ask what account they should send the reimbursement to.   This was a credit card account - so assume they consider the account/ card closed...?

The letter says they didn't send a nosia - notice of sum in arrears - when the min payment wasn't met for 2 consecutive months.  They've quoted a date of start 2010 

They refund interest, default fees charged from this point - and have calculated £450+

Then they calculate using 8% compensation on the refund up to this month 2021 - £390

They deduct 20% tax from the 8% compensation calculation ! - £78

Then they deduct what they say was the outstanding balance (295)

Giving an alleged owed amount of £475 .

Thats a big difference to the the CI excel spreadsheet version!

Edited by HP Mum

the charges can only be reclaimed at their int whilst they charged it

then from that date you are entitled to 8% till settled.

i think they have it right then.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx

I will go back through the statements.

I think I understand that you are saying - can claim CI from 2009 up until they stopped charging the 22.25% and then 8%

I will input in to the excel sheet.

Although they shouldn't take tax as was under personal allowance

as you did before 

CISHEET till Int ends ..then that whole figure on the day after in the statint sheet till settled.

HMRC made the 20% tax compulsory, it's for you to then reclaim that from HMRC with proof under their relevant form.

and they

inputted figures again from 2009-start 2012.

The late payment charges + CI add up to apx £300 (at 22%) for that 3 year period.

Then 8% simple interest from start 2012 til today is £620.

Im a bit confused on how to re-consider the interest that would have been applied on a wrong balance during those 3 years.

The letter from S said that in their own calculations they were refunding interest - yet they calculated from 2010, rather than 09.

Also S calculation for the 8% was 390 compared to my 620

Edited by HP Mum

probably calc'd OC int from the date of the 1st missing NOSIA letter, rather than from birth of each penalty charge(s)?

and they

original creditor.....

and they

Can't find any statements before June 09.  Although Sant says account started in 04.

June 09 balance was £1711.

From July 09 until Feb 2012 - I calculate £524 of interest paid and £230 in late penalties added.

Made ad hoc payments over 2 years - whittling balance down to £188 by June 2011.

No payments after June 2011.

By Feb 2012 the balance increased to £295 - by interest and £12 late penalty charges

No further interest added.

Sant sold to Hoist Oct 2014.

Sant have written offering a refund of interest and default fees charged from Jan 2010 - which amounts to £460.   But there were a couple of £12 charges in 2009 - which would have affected the interest paid.

Should I write to Sant and query their offer?  Ask for a breakdown of the interest charged and whats been included in their refund offer?

any penalty fee from any date goes into the CISHEET at their int rate with the claim to date set to when the OC stopped their std int rate charging.

if you don't know that date use the sale date to hoist. then that figure to stattint from the day after, leaving that claim to date alone until they settle.

they'll soon pull you up if something is wrong, which is when you question their PROOF of how they are making that decision it's not right.

and they

Should I send them a SAR?

they say account started in 04.

Only have statements from 09.

So maybe would be good to get them to provide all the old data.  Which may well include many more penalty charges.

you never know....

dx

and they

shouldn't be using email..

and they

Use their letter address?

and they

Their recent letters were from a different dept.  Something called Rem 1.

In Bradford BD1 5AN

I went on their website and it gave the other address as the one to send sar.

Think I'll send copy to both...

well if they tell you where to send an sar....

and they