Can they refuse a refund?

shuttleworth96

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Less than 12 months ago my Mum had her three piece suite re-upholstered with Plumbs at a cost of about £1800. All was well until writing started to appear on the covers and it turns out that a workman had used a marker pen to mark the pieces when cutting out the material. A representative came from Plumbs and immediately agreed that there was a fault and offered to re-do the suite. On their terms and conditions/guarantee it says that with faulty or damaged goods they will either re-cover, or give a full or partial refund. My Mum's circumstances have changed recently following the death of my father and she is moving to a much smaller house and, actually, doesn't want this suite anymore but they are refusing to give her any refund saying that it is not an option. They have been quite bullying on the telephone to her (she is 81) and I've told her I will check out the guarantee for her but wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Check the guarantee, if however its not in there, then under the sales of goods act she wouldn't be entitled to a refund, but a repair or replacement.

Companys legally have to give a full refund if the goods are rejected within a reasonable amount of time (usually a month with most company's) which might be listed in the t&c. Otherwise a repair or replacement which the decide, or if thats not possible then entitled to a full/partial refund.

If you feel your mothers age is effecting the descions the company is making, make sure you get involved and yourself known

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

I bought a car to take my whole family on trips 3 years ago. They've now all left home and it's too big for me now, but a recent fault in the engine has been identified but is covered by the manufacturers and they'll repair if at no cost to me. However, I don't really want the car now - should I get my money back for something smaller?

The answer is no - and the same hold true for the suite. Do remember, it wasn't even new when it was recovered the first time! It will look stunning when it's repaired, sell it privately then buy something more appropriate to fit the available space.

Confirm what everyone else has said - the company are legally entitled to offer a repair in the first instance.

As Buzby says, you will then be able to sell it on as a newly refurbished suite, so it's not all doom and gloom.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.