Wizz Air Spain holiday Dec 2020. Still no refund.

Ok so helping a Male friend. 

Friend and daughter 16, he has full custody of her, was due to flight out for a holiday to Spain for Christmas. The Spanish government, along with a list of other countries, said they were banning UK flights over a new strain of Covid. They did not know until they got to airport as they were due to fly on the 22nd first flight of day. I have searched and cant find anywhere to say the the UK Government/foreign office closing air travel. 

Wizz air rep was useless just told them to contact Wizz air as they cant fly. Friend contacted Wizz air who said well the flight is still going ahead so you fly or you cancel. Wizz air did not budge so they had to cancel. Was not a package deal but the hotel has cancelled and refunded without any problems within a few hours of request. Flight went ahead Wizz air still not budged re flights and insisting they were cancelled and a fee is to be paid.

They have been arguing for months over the refund. He is still waiting and feels its unfair that he is waiting months for a refund when not his fault and that he has to pay a cancellation fee for the flight when it was the Spanish government that closed the boarders to all but citizens. He is not saying he does not understand why just he could have been treated better. Money went out quick enough but cant press a button to refund him.

He has been to the CAB but found them utterly useless. What are his rights on the cancellation and what legal argument can he use. He has thrown at them lots of phone calls, yes l have told him to stay of the phone but he wont listen to me on that and as he is big enough to know better but then stuck between a rock and hard place. 

Oh and just so you all know they did not go without a few presents and Christmas dinner. They came and Socially distanced collect a care package from me containing food the presents l had brought them already and a little extra. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

The flight operated as normal, so it was not Wizz that stopped your friend from flying to Spain. It was just that the Spanish border officials may not have let them into Spain. It was not the responsibility of Wizz to have checked every passengers details to find out whether they were Spanish residents or simply visiting Spain. The relevant law being applied was in Spain, allowing Spanish border officials to refuse entry and was not a legal requirement for Wizz to conduct checks in the UK.

Your friend cancelled on the day of the flight, therefore the normal terms of cancelling on the day of the flight will apply. This I believe is a situation where your friend claims off any Travel Insurance and not from the Airline. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The Wizz air rep at airport said they could not fly. The people on the phone said the flight was still leaving or left and could fly.  Other airlines have refunded in full. 

Travel insurance has said that they wont refund as Wizz air should be as the rep told them they could not fly. 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

If the airline refused to let your friends fly, because of the border change in Spain, then Wizz should have cancelled, not your friends. This would have enabled refund process.

Because the rep from Wizz told your friends to cancel, it is down as customer cancelled, therefore no refund.

How much money is involved?

Have they exhausted complaints process ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

By time they got threw to someone from wizz air on the phone the plane was about to or had left. They were due out on the first flight around 6.30. It was delayed due to new rules of checking. 

Problem is wizz air does not accept the rep at the airport has said they cant fly. The airport rep did not do much to help other than give them a piece of paper and usher them out of airport after checking to see if they were Spanish residents. They even had security called on them for asking questions. 

The customer services rep on the phone told them they had no choice but to tell the customer they have to cancel as its out of wizz airs hands and as people could fly just not tourists. It was within the rules to have the customer cancel at this point. 

Wizz air are refunding them some money just taking a cancellation fee off and he is still waiting for the refund. 

They wont accept a complaint. Well the customer services has said they  dont have a complaint process. 

I dont know how much we are talking about but l am guessing about £500 + for.flights then other things on top eg.the euros, phone calls as they needed to get home and to get answers, covid tests. 

What was on the peice of paper that Wizz provided ?   Was this related to denied boarding ?

Wizz are a much complained about airline.

WWW.TRIPADVISOR.CO.UK

Wizz Air: Worst company in the world!!! - See 16,973 traveller reviews, 2,347 candid photos, and great deals for Wizz Air, at Tripadvisor.

It says due to circumstances beyond our control you need to call customer services then gave the flight details. 

The airport rep called security as they refused to leave. He was wanted to know what time customer services open and daughter needed the loo. 

This link provides some information, but does not sppear to offer a clear answer.

WWW.CAA.CO.UK

Information on legal requirements and the CAA's enforcement powers