• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Wizz Air Spain holiday Dec 2020. Still no refund.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok so helping a Male friend. 

Friend and daughter 16, he has full custody of her, was due to flight out for a holiday to Spain for Christmas. The Spanish government, along with a list of other countries, said they were banning UK flights over a new strain of Covid. They did not know until they got to airport as they were due to fly on the 22nd first flight of day. I have searched and cant find anywhere to say the the UK Government/foreign office closing air travel. 

Wizz air rep was useless just told them to contact Wizz air as they cant fly. Friend contacted Wizz air who said well the flight is still going ahead so you fly or you cancel. Wizz air did not budge so they had to cancel. Was not a package deal but the hotel has cancelled and refunded without any problems within a few hours of request. Flight went ahead Wizz air still not budged re flights and insisting they were cancelled and a fee is to be paid.

They have been arguing for months over the refund. He is still waiting and feels its unfair that he is waiting months for a refund when not his fault and that he has to pay a cancellation fee for the flight when it was the Spanish government that closed the boarders to all but citizens. He is not saying he does not understand why just he could have been treated better. Money went out quick enough but cant press a button to refund him.

He has been to the CAB but found them utterly useless. What are his rights on the cancellation and what legal argument can he use. He has thrown at them lots of phone calls, yes l have told him to stay of the phone but he wont listen to me on that and as he is big enough to know better but then stuck between a rock and hard place. 

Oh and just so you all know they did not go without a few presents and Christmas dinner. They came and Socially distanced collect a care package from me containing food the presents l had brought them already and a little extra. 

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

The flight operated as normal, so it was not Wizz that stopped your friend from flying to Spain. It was just that the Spanish border officials may not have let them into Spain. It was not the responsibility of Wizz to have checked every passengers details to find out whether they were Spanish residents or simply visiting Spain. The relevant law being applied was in Spain, allowing Spanish border officials to refuse entry and was not a legal requirement for Wizz to conduct checks in the UK.

Your friend cancelled on the day of the flight, therefore the normal terms of cancelling on the day of the flight will apply. This I believe is a situation where your friend claims off any Travel Insurance and not from the Airline. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The Wizz air rep at airport said they could not fly. The people on the phone said the flight was still leaving or left and could fly.  Other airlines have refunded in full. 

Travel insurance has said that they wont refund as Wizz air should be as the rep told them they could not fly. 

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

If the airline refused to let your friends fly, because of the border change in Spain, then Wizz should have cancelled, not your friends. This would have enabled refund process.

Because the rep from Wizz told your friends to cancel, it is down as customer cancelled, therefore no refund.

How much money is involved?

Have they exhausted complaints process ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

By time they got threw to someone from wizz air on the phone the plane was about to or had left. They were due out on the first flight around 6.30. It was delayed due to new rules of checking. 

Problem is wizz air does not accept the rep at the airport has said they cant fly. The airport rep did not do much to help other than give them a piece of paper and usher them out of airport after checking to see if they were Spanish residents. They even had security called on them for asking questions. 

The customer services rep on the phone told them they had no choice but to tell the customer they have to cancel as its out of wizz airs hands and as people could fly just not tourists. It was within the rules to have the customer cancel at this point. 

Wizz air are refunding them some money just taking a cancellation fee off and he is still waiting for the refund. 

They wont accept a complaint. Well the customer services has said they  dont have a complaint process. 

I dont know how much we are talking about but l am guessing about £500 + for.flights then other things on top eg.the euros, phone calls as they needed to get home and to get answers, covid tests. 

What was on the peice of paper that Wizz provided ?   Was this related to denied boarding ?

Wizz are a much complained about airline.

WWW.TRIPADVISOR.CO.UK

Wizz Air: Worst company in the world!!! - See 16,973 traveller reviews, 2,347 candid photos, and great deals for Wizz Air, at Tripadvisor.

It says due to circumstances beyond our control you need to call customer services then gave the flight details. 

The airport rep called security as they refused to leave. He was wanted to know what time customer services open and daughter needed the loo. 

This link provides some information, but does not sppear to offer a clear answer.

WWW.CAA.CO.UK

Information on legal requirements and the CAA's enforcement powers

• 1 month later...

I see this thread has been dead for quite a bit but I agree with unclebulgaria here that you have zero chance for a refund.

Your friend got bullied into cancelling his flight by himself - something that never goes well, as you are giving up your right to a refund. However this would have been worse anyway if he had gone to the airport.

Because:

On 16/06/2021 at 06:11, unclebulgaria67 said:

It was not the responsibility of Wizz to have checked every passengers details to find out whether they were Spanish residents or simply visiting Spain. 

That is incorrect. Wizzair IS responsible for ensuring their passengers have the requirement to enter the target country. If they carried you and you were denied entry, then they are responsible for taking the passenger back to the departure point at their expense.

You can see why they will actively try and deny boarding in this case. They will then claim it's your fault because you were responsible to ensure you are eligible to travel, and you won't get your refund either, but you will also have wasted your time.

This is going to come out as preachy but it may help other travellers: ALWAYS check cancellation policies and make sure you agree to the risks travelling "low cost".

Most big airlines now offer covid related guarantees and free rebookings. If you willingly choose to travel with a low cost airline that does not offer those guarantees, you are basically gambling.

If the tickets cost you £30 then why not! But buying peak holiday time "low cost" tickets for 100s of pounds is not something that you want to be doing.

They had left for the airport before the news broke they could not fly. The airport was 3 hours from his house but they had to swing by Daughters Mums as she had been there for a few days having 'Christmas' then swing by mine and drop the house, Van and other keys off and as u have to be at the airport about 2 -3 hours before travel then the original flight was due to leave at 4.30 ish but delayed 2 hours due to the new rules. They were already at the London uk airport when they found out.

Still no refund that they said they would send. 

What a nightmare....😩

I just read up the thread again and I think here your friend's issue is with the travel insurance and not with Wizz. Wizz won't give you a penny because it's not denied boarding:

1 (j) ‘denied boarding’ means a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have presented themselves for boarding under the conditions laid down in Article 3(2), except where there are reasonable grounds to deny them boarding, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation;

And the flight was not cancelled.

Your friend needs to accept that as a fact, go back to the travel insurer, and threaten them in various ways to try and get them to pay, imho.

Problem is the insurance company has wiped there hands of the problem and even threatened to cancel the policy if he peruses with them. They have said the flights for uk residents were cancelled. 

Even the Wizz air rep on the phone said the problem was out of there hands and down to the Spanish government and they were following there rules by not letting them fly. 

Also further to this what l dont understand is how come they have refunded in full the return flight as they are uk resident and would not have been allowed to travel to Spain and hence not needing the return flights. This is Wizz airs own words. Also he was travelling back in the new year, the 2nd. Tho we were not in another lock down until after that. 

Insurers cannot cancel an Insurance to avoid a claim.  This is stated in the FCA ICOBS handbook that the Insurers have to comply with.

What the Insurers might have said or there has been some poor communication, is that with some Insurances, if you make a claim, then the Insurance contract is fulfilled once the claim has been paid and the policy is then cancelled.

Just because your insurer said the flight was cancelled does not make that true. It was in fact not cancelled and you can prove it. You should be able to get a statement in writing from Wizz that they won't refund you and that should be enough for your insurer to get the ball rolling with the refund.

Please let us know what insurer this is so we can shame them and avoid them.

You say the return flight was refunded in full? Was that also with Wizz air or was that with another airline?

He has not told me who the insurer is. But l know he wont be using them again. He still has not had the partial refund either. 

Yes the return flight was with Wizz air. 

Wizz air are being arses they have said that he can have a partial refund but they still months on have not actioned anything.

Has he got any of that in writing? A "they said" is unfortunately not going to be worth much.

Weird that they would give the refund for the return flight, you sure it's not just taxes? (which they have to refund to be honest)

The company refuses to put anything in writing despite repeated requests. No the full cost of return flights has gone back in account. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend he calls them back and records their refusal to refund 1st flight, then use it to claim against the insurer.

End of the day the insurer is just trying to pass the buck and should be held to account. Make sure to name them please so we know who to not buy holiday insurance with.

I have not been told who insurer is. He wont tell me. 

If he won’t help you help him, tell him to post here himself.

if he then won’t help here to help him, that’s his look out.

At the moment you are “piggy in the middle”, so put the responsibility back onto him. Sorted.

BazzaS atm l am trying to help someone who is at rock bottom. The third lockdown killed his business and he has been told that he needs to snap out of it and man up by the uc advisor. 

Getting him to open up about this so far has been hard enough. His daughter lives with Nan atm as she does not like seeing him like this. 

He struggled threw the last one was ok ish during the second, having not long picked himself up, and the third one was a no go. 

He used the Money his mum gave him to book this holiday. As he stupidly thought that a break would do them good and come back refreshed and ready to go. His words not mine. 

He cant post as he has no internet no phone or laptop. He sold them to buy food and pay bills. 

Appreciate that you are trying to help a friend going through what sounds like hell.

You do have to keep a clear idea of what you can hope to achieve here. This forum is great for resources and there are many helpful folk who will point you towards solutions, but nobody is going to do the fighting for you, and fighting there will be a lot of. I do apologise for being blunt when I say your friend doesn't seem to be in right state to go through this.

If he won't tell you, his friend, what insurance company he's been using, then the chance of him following any of the other advice/instructions given is quite frankly close to zero. How will he share correspondence, drafts of letters of claim etc?

If he sold his phone to buy food, he's going to have a hard time record the call to his insurance.

If his kid has to avoid him because they can't bear how he is headed for the bottom, then what he needs right now is most probably social and medical attention from professionals - rather than help with getting an impossible refund from Wizz air the shitty airline known for shitty customer service, or the equally bad nameless insurance company that refuses to pay up.

• Like 1

Trust me the mental health team are aware but have refused to see him due to lack of funding and Covid. The Drs he is waiting on seeing as they are still closed or only doing appointments via a form on the website. He has meds but they are not working. 

He is following instructions  on some things. I have not given him instructions for others. I am trying to get answers to some questions before we go down the whole court claim really trying to avoid lt for the sake of overwhelming him. I am able to do letters etc.