Gearbox failure after 32 days of ownership

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,  I'll keep this brief, a friend of mine bought a used van 32 days ago, second day of ownership he noticed a problem with the alternator light coming on, a few days later he had a flat battery - both events were reported to the garage who advised bring the van back and we will look at it (bit difficult when the battery was flat) so he bought a new battery and took the van back.

Garage advised alternator needed replacement and told him they would order one for him to collect at a local Van Spares shop and to bring it back to them and they would fit it, there was a delay so he drove around with a dodgy alternator for a while and was charging the battery overnight at home.

Anyway he's got the alternator now and was going to take the van in to have it fitted and the gearbox has gone, fatal fault, van no longer drives at all.

What are his options as he is out of the 30 day return it for a refund period?

Edited by Homer67
typos

What is the name of the dealer? Have they been approached about it?

Because it has gone over the 30 days, under the consumer rights act you have a right to reject the vehicle after you have given the dealer a single opportunity to repair it. If the repair fails or if they don't repair it, then you are entitled to reject the vehicle for a refund.

We need to know the complete timeline, what the vehicle is – make model. Price paid and who the dealers.

Has there been any attempt to get an estimate for the cost of repairs?

I don't know the name of the dealer, it's just a smallish dealer, second hand vehicles only.

As they have already given the dealer an opportunity to repair the alternator which hasn't happened, I helped them write a formal rejection letter and they are taking it to the dealer today.

The vehicle is a Ford Transit Connect and the price paid was £2900.00 (it's a few years old).

Yes they had an independant engineer look at the van and that's how they knew the alternator was U/S however they have not had anyone look at the gearbox failure as they happened yesterday, apparantly th egearbox now works in 1 - 4 but will not engage reverse.

I'll update with the outcome of today as soon as I know any more.

It's important that we know the name of the dealer. That may make a big difference to the advice that we give you.

If you are doing this on behalf a friend then if your friend wants help and he needs to provide basic information.

It would be easier if your friend simply registered on the forum and then we can get it all first-hand.

You haven't told us how much was paid and although I didn't ask you earlier, how was it paid?

We really won't be able to move forward until we get these answers