HMRC asking me to repay Fast Tax Rebates Ltd scam rebate

dixon2094

........ and received thanks.

Letter back to HMRC Litigator :-

Dear sir or madam,

Thank you for your letter of xxdate enclosing the copy of the Application to Strike Out.

I now better understand my position and, whilst this may not affect your decision seek the Strike Out, I want to clarify my position.

This is not about a dispute between myself and Fast Tax Rebates Ltd. My position is that FTR used my tax account to carry out a fraud against me and HMRC, using my personal tax account to file claims for tax relief and secure repayments for themselves as nominee recipient.

I knew nothing of their methods, what they were claiming on my behalf or how they would keep the majority of the tax refunded for themselves. They used my personal tax account by getting me to give them my Government Gateway access details. Using this access, they carried out their fraud.

I have been the victim of fraud, along with HMRC, and HMRC should be now investigating Fast Tax Rebates Ltd instead of trying to reclaim back the full amount from me and many other taxpayers affected by this fraud.

Yours faithfully,

Dixon

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Just to confirm, Blog81 posted here earlier about police getting involved.

I moved the post to Blog81's own thread, linked here - https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/440174-fast-tax-rebates-ltd-scam-again/?do=findComment&comment=5129505

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks Slick - I’ll get this emailed over this morning to tribunal as my response, and CC HMRC as required.

Before I do, am I to add anything regarding the alleged police investigation as mentioned by Blog81?

@slick132 

Letter back to HMRC Litigator :-

I've sent your message on to the Tribunal in response to HMRC's response, and i've CC'd HMRC's agent as required. Will let you know once I hear back from either party.

Thanks again.

Yes, you could add to the last para as follows :-

I have been the victim of fraud, along with HMRC, and HMRC should be now investigating Fast Tax Rebates Ltd instead of trying to reclaim back the full amount from me and many other taxpayers affected by this fraud. In this connection, I understand that the police, who were made aware of this fraud many weeks back, are now investigating FTR Ltd and the people behind it.

Also Dixon, I have been asked to share your email and text msg logs that you sent me. Please see the PM I'm sending you shortly.

Hi Dixon,

Our posts crossed but no matter.

Just watch for my PM shortly.

No problem, will do.

PS: STILL nothing back/no update on Warrant which was issued on 5th August following Judgement.

Edited by dixon2094
Info re warrant

Update on warrant - I just called the warrant number and following no answer from FTR to their "scary" letters, it was passed to bailiffs last week.

It'll be around a month or so until I hear outcome.

I presume this isn't going to get anywhere :(

Reply from the HMRC agent handling the case their side:

"Thank you for copying me in to your emails to HM Courts & Tribunals Service. I will contact you again when further instructions are issued by the Tribunals Service."

Suppose I'm just waiting on Tribunal's response now we've both put our cases forward.

Yes ...............

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, that's nothing to worry about.

Tell us when something DOES happen.

Hi, here is Tribunal's response:

Dear Sir/Madam,

APPELLANT: xxxxxxx

OUR REF : xxxxxxxxx

The Tribunal refers to the application from HMRC dated 1 September 2021 for a direction that your appeal be struck out. This has been referred to a Judge (xxxxxx).

Although you did respond to HMRC’s application, by email on 10 September 2021, you did not address the question of whether the appeal should be struck out for the reasons stated in it. As Judge xxxxxx considers that before any action is taken you should be given an opportunity to respond and confirm whether or not you agree to the appeal being struck out and your reasons for doing so if you do not agree.

Therefore, please let the Tribunal have your representations on this application within 14 days (which must also be copied to HMRC), after which time the application will be referred to a judge. Please note that no reminders will be issued and if no representations are received it will be assumed that you do not wish to avail yourself of the opportunity to do so.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxx

Ok so before the judge makes a ruling on the Strike Out Application, you've been given 14 days to file a response setting out any objections to their Application.

I'll come back on this over the next few days.

Meanwhile, have you been in touch with the police further to see what they're doing about investigating the frauds committed by FTR and O'Hara. You need to be pushing this, along with any others you know to have been scammed by FTR.

Okay, thank you.

With regards to the police, I've only ever contacted Action Fraud who gave me a crime ref number and eventually, this response:

I am sorry to hear you have been a victim of crime. Thank you for taking the time to report to Action Fraud. Your report has been sent to the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB) for review.

Experts at the NFIB examine the information you provide. Where possible, the information is also matched against other available data in order to enrich and corroborate the details of the fraud. The NFIB assess whether there are viable lines of enquiry that would enable a law enforcement body, such as the police service, to investigate.

On this occasion, based on the information currently available, it has not been possible to identify a line of enquiry which a law enforcement organisation in the United Kingdom could pursue. Registered users of our service have the opportunity to update their report, so if you have additional information about your crime which you believe could change the assessment, please log in to your account and submit that information. We continuously assess the content of individual and linked crime reports; in the event that a line of enquiry is identified we will provide you with an update.

So no luck there. I would be happy to contact Police direct but wouldn't it be better to jump on Blog81's friends' case? (As per the other thread). But we don't have that info?

Hi Dixon,

It's not clear yet who has got the attention of the police re Blog81's friend or contact. Nothing has come back on this yet despite me trying to get more info.

I suggest you make your complaint direct to your own police force and do not be fobbed off with, "Oh, this should be reported to Action Fraud."

Make it clear you have been the victim of a well-rehearsed fraud which has left you owing £,000's to HMRC while FTR and O'Hara have run off laughing. And it is your right to have this investigated by the police.

Keep us posted ................

Is this best done via 101 or is there an alternate route? Also, is it best to say multiple people have been scammed and explain the whole situation with FTR and Alan etc?

They'll try fob me off, however, what do I NEED to obtain? A crime ref number? Is that enough for me to know they've started the investigation? Or do I need them to confirm an investigation is being made? Do I mention that an alternate police constabulary is allegedly looking into it, etc?

1 hour ago, dixon2094 said:

With regards to the police, I've only ever contacted Action Fraud who gave me a crime ref number and eventually, this response:

Bear in mind that the reference number Action Fraud give you is not a formal Crime Reference Number. (Do they actually call it a Crime Reference Number? I thought they didn't). 

The difference matters because Action Fraud's number is just an administrative number to identify your report.  It does NOT mean that your report has been assigned to any police force to investigate the specific crime you have suffered. What it usually means, as you've found out, is that your report has been recorded as 'intelligence' and then filed away. Nobody is investigating the specific crime you have been a victim of and so you will not get any updates.

A Crime Reference Number is something different. It's issued by a police force if and when it accepts your report (either direct to the police or via Action Fraud) and decides they will investigate it.  By issuing the Crime Reference Number thay are confirming that on the face of it a crime has taken place, you have been a victim of it, and the police have a duty to investigate it. Quite often that investigation never gets further than the initial assessment and they decide that there is insuficient evidence or whatever for them to take any further action, but they still have to give you a formal written letter confirming the outcome of their investigation and why they aren't taking it further. 

Every police force has its own procedures so that's a generalisation of what happens, but it's pretty similar in most of England.

The importance for you in this case though is that if you've only reported it to Action Fraud, not direct to the police, then unless Action Fraud have specifically told you a police force are going to investigate it nothing will be happening and you will not be given any further infomation.

Hi Dixon,

Rather than getting another crime ref. no., your goal should be to speak to a CID officer and have them take proper details about the fraud your have been a victim of.

Face to face and by appointment if necessary but, whatever it takes, talk to CID and tell them a significant fraud has been operated by FTR, there are many victims and the money taken in fraudulent tax refunds, at the very least, exceeds £100,000.

Hi @Ethel Street , yes, they call it a crime reference number - see attached.

I tried calling 101 and was on hold for almost 40 mins so gave up. The automatic voice said that I can also go online to report it, which I did, and when you select "Fraud", it just directs you to Action Fraud's website. I've a feeling they'll say this on the phone also... is there an alternative?

The webpage says:

Fraud

If you have any immediate concerns for yourself or your property, please call 999 immediately.

If your report involves a suspect that is known to you or has recently visited/made arrangements to visit you please call 101 to report directly to your local force.

For incidents that involve online transactions, for example bank account transfers or online payments, please contact the bank or online payment company first to help stop any further account activity or money transfer.

For any other fraud related, non-urgent issues, for fraud advice and to report a possible crime please contact the UK National Fraud Reporting Centre, Action Fraud, either via their website to self-report a crime by following the link www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 123 2040 to speak to an operator who will take your report and be able to offer relevant advice.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

CRN.pdf

Edited by dixon2094
Adding quote
  • Thanks 1

Time to visit the police station, as I suggested above. ^^^^

Hi Dixon,

Any update on progress with getting proper attention from the police ?

.......... or anything else ?

Hi @slick132,

I've not managed to sit down with a CID officer as of yet, I plan to do so either next weekend or weekend after (I have a Christening next weekend, so may be pressed for time).

I've also noticed I have until 8th October (Thursday) to respond to Tribunal/HMRC. - 14 days from 24th September.

No update as of yet with anything else i.e Warrant, etc.