Drove into the garden wall of own house.

Its WAR

My aged uncle has gone  into a permanent residential care home and I went to collect his car to bring home to sell. His policy ran out last summer and rather than have him renew it (as he was ill and was never going to drive again and the premium was over £1000), I took out a new policy to cover me when driving it home last week, so I bought  just a standard fully comp policy for the year. However, before driving it away I noticed it had been badly dented and scratched down one side. I spoke to my uncle and he said he did it on one of the last times he drove it, well over a year ago just  before he started going in and out of hospital and care. He hadn't even  thought to make a claim.

The entrance to his driveway at home is very narrow with a low brick wall. He said he got jammed against the corner of the wall whilst turning in and rather than reversing back into the main road, he carried on and caused the damage. He also knocked down a few blocks of the wall.

My question is whether the damage (I had the quote today £3,000), is covered as the 'accident' happened on his private property and I have a feeling there is some doubt when accidents don't happen on the public highway (assuming he had left the highway in order to hit his wall, but actually  half the car would have been on the drop down pavement as he began to leave the highway and enter his driveway).

I  Haven't found out yet who the old insurers are but I also wonder whether the claim should have been made last year whilst his policy was current. Somehow I expect a difficult claims process.

Or, I wonder whether the claim should be made against his household policy? Although the damage to the wall was minimal and in fact I just tidied it up last year (before I even knew there had been the accident). I  removed a few loose bricks just to make it easier for me to drive onto his driveway without scraping my cill on the wall, which was invisible when driving and the clearance was only a few inches either side. To get in, you had to be perfectly straight after doing a 90 degree turn off the main road. The wall is only about one foot tall and retains a flower border. But I have a feeling that walls and fences etc are probably not covered but the car might be. Actually, I haven't got a clue either way.

So for now, until I speak with them tomorrow, I wonder whether I actually can even make a claim for him? What does everybody think how I should approach this?

My uncle bought the car a 2015 Ford Fiesta 4 years ago, for £12,000 and has driven 4000 miles in it. It has now only covered 30,000 miles. So it would still be a lovely car once repaired.

Its WAR

Home Insurance  cover under impact  by road vehicle will cover damage to wall and fencing.

Damage to car is only covered by Car Insurance, as Home Insurance excludes damage to vehicles.

But claims have to be made within a certain timescale and you may find that the Insurers decline the claims.  You may have to provide some evidence of your Uncle being unable to claim at an earlier stage due to health incapacity for the Insurers to consider claims.

The Insurers won't speak to you about the policies, unless you provide them with power of attorney or other legal consent by your Uncle to act on his behalf.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thx UB. Insurers already have POA (or a least the brokers do). The ill health issue is straightforward and easy to confirm as to the reason for delay. There is no point then making a claim for the wall, as the damage to the wall was minimal and indeed I have taken some of it away to make the  entrance easier. So the main worry is whether the claim will be void if it is considered the damage occurred on private property.

Its WAR

Comp Car Insurance covers accidental damage, but of course there will be an excess.  Being on private property does not make any difference.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Claim now lodged with Insurance Company and I have spoken with them whilst they took more claim details. Nowhere during the call was there any hint that the damage will not be covered. So let's see.

Its WAR