Speeding Fine paid directly to court, CDER want £310 fess for NOA and visit to old address.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoping someone could give some urgent advice.

Had a court fine for speeding, and paid after a chase letter from the court.

The fine was apparently already passed to CDER group who added £75 and now after delivery of a letter to my old address another £235!

CDER group now want £310 on a debt that's been paid.

Is that legitimate?

can they keep adding fees on fees just to create debt?

Any urgent advice greatfully received!....

Thank you.

Why was your address not up to date ?

Yes if the Court had already passed to enforcement, before you paid the Court, you are liable for enforcement fees.

However, I would question with the Court, whether/when they advised the enforcement conpany you had paid the fine.  If the enforcement company should have been aware that the fine had been paid, you should then only be liable for the £75.

So speak to the Court and ask them when they told the enforcement company you had paid the fine.  If you paid before the enforcment visit, then you should not have to pay the £235

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

did you receive a notice of enforcement from the bailiff company at your present address?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Many thanks for your responses guys.

The fines office are saying my address has not been updated, despite me informing them back in March.

The first CDER enforcement letter was dated the same day I paid the remainder of the fine in full to the court fines office. 24th May. So essentially it crossed. The CDER letter stated a compliance fee of £75.00

As I received that letter passed to me from new owners of the property after I had paid the fine only in full, I thought that would be the end of it.

Now as of today, 4th June, CDER want the £75.00 compliance fee plus a visit today of £235.00, with apparently more fees and enforcement to come if I don't pay....threatening to take goods for their fees.

I can obviously prove I had moved as on electoral role and paying council tax at my new address.

It's out and out fraud as far as I can see but I'm thinking I just have to pay then issue proceedings to recover ☹️

4 hours ago, dx100uk said:

did you receive a notice of enforcement from the bailiff company at your present address?

No, never received anything.. both letters and the visit was at my old address

if you have had no NOE nor visits to your present address, then you don't owe any fees to any bailiff for anything.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks DX. Sounds good. Is that a precedent set? If so I'll hit them with that and try to find either some relevant legislation , or case history...

??

the NOE is invalid, not your correct address..end of. cant enforce anything against you.

just ignore the stupid bailiffs 

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Speeding Fine paid directly to court, CDER want £310 fess for NOA and visit to old address.

So it was a speeding fine.  Did you promptly update your address with DVLA ?

You say that you informed the Court of your new address in March.  What proof do you have ?  Have you asked the Court to check their records that they did hold your new address and if so, if they did not inform CDER, perhaps they should be contacting CDER to resolve this. 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I only have a phone call to the fines office on my phone bill , that's the only proof. In any event yesterday I had to pay the £310 not before notification to them of the situation but CDER weren't interested , just wanted the money of course, but new occupiers getting a bit mad over it so didn't really have a choice... So now it's 14 day county court notification to CDER to reclaim.

Yes DVLA have new address as do council, bank etc etc

Many thanks for your help!

dave where are you getting this silly idea from you can take CDER to small claims court?

and they

you should really not have paid them

there is nothing they could have legally done

had they really wanted to seize property at that home that they know has not been you AD for xxxx months now ...they WOULD have been in serious legal trouble 

just because they are a private company doesn't mean you can raise a county court claim. nor the correct method, a form 4.

you need to resolve this with the fines office as the court is responsible for the bailiffs they employ and their actions.

and they

I don't think 4 form wld be appropriate as I think that only deals with the bailiff himself and he was only acting on his firms instructions, so I doubt it wld go anywhere.

Wld be interested to see what happens if they received a claim in the county court

Fines office complaint may work

Form 4 would open a world of pain for you its down to Fines Office and the timeline of what happened when.

• Like 1

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

You have stated above that you paid following a 'chase' letter that you received from the court. What was the 'chase' letter and most importantly, what date was it issued?

How did you get the letter? Was it sent to your previous address or your current address?

What date did you actually make payment to the court/

Hi, sorry it's a bit misleading, the 'chase letter' was infact a bailiff letter, advising £75 added to the debt.

So in order:

I paid the court fine off in full 1 day.

Following week I'm passed a letter from new owners of my old address advising that a letter was received. I read it and I thought as I had already paid the fine there was nothing more to worry about. 

2 weeks later bailiff posts another letter thru door of old address and the bill is now plus an enforcement visit of £235. So £310.

Just spoken other day to court fines office they say no refund due as the £75 not paid.

CDER group disregarded complaint saying that's the address we were given...

Don't know what steps to take next...maybe  only recourse is chargeback the £235 on credit card....?? I can stomach the £75...

I guess the question is once a warrant has been paid in full,  which it was, can the bailiff continue enforcement in order to rack up more fees?

I have been responding to 'bailiff enquiries' on this forum for over 14 years and anyone knowing me will know that in order for me to provide an accurate reply, I will always ask for 'background' information (such as I have done in your case). 

Anyone knowing me will also know, that the 'subject matter' (of paying a court fine direct to the court after receiving correspondence from an enforcement company) is a subject that I have significant experience in, an one that I have written about on this forum MANY, MANY TIMES. 

Thank you for your response. You have confirmed my worse fears. After receiving a Notice of Enforcement (which included the statutory Compliance Fee of £75), you chose to IGNORE the wording on the notice and instead, paid the court fine direct to the court.......leaving the Compliance fee....unpaid. 

Unfortunately, by paying the court direct (minus the Compliance Fee), means that you have only partly settled the warrant. Once a Notice of Enforcement is issued, the amount due under the warrant INCLUDES bailiff fees (which in your case) would, at the time of making payment...be just £75. It is foolhardy to pay a court direct in circumstances such as yours. 

In almost all cases where this happens, the relevant court will write to the individual to advise that as the payment had been made after a warrant had been issued that the payment (made to the court), has been forwarded to the enforcement company. You mention that after making payment that you then received a letter from the Court (which you effectively ignored), do you know what it actually said?

2 hours ago, Dan777 said:

I guess the question is once a warrant has been paid in full,  which it was, can the bailiff continue enforcement in order to rack up more fees?

As I have outlined in my above post, the fact of the matter is that by failing to pay the 'Compliance Fee' of £75, the warrant has NOT been paid in full. 

I see, totally understand now..

Many thanks for your detailed info. 

I paid the court directly because at that point I hadn't seen or received any letter from anyone. I just paid on their automated line.

It was the following week I was passed the letter the bailiff firm had posted to my old address  regarding notification of the £75 fee via new owners of the property. (This is the letter I ignored, as I believed I had already paid.     ( there was never a letter from the court)

Maybe my only defence is that the warrant was issued in an incorrect and not current address? And that therefore I never received proper delivery of either the initial £75 demand and then the £235 one?

On 07/06/2021 at 17:28, brassnecked said:

Form 4 would open a world of pain for you its down to Fines Office and the timeline of what happened when.

Fines office said as the warrant hadn't been paid in full (i.e the £75 added bailiff fee which forms part of the warrant), the visit at £235 is legitimate as the warrant is still live. They said the address on the warrant is irrelevant apparently, even tho it was wrong.

And as you will know from my previous responses,  the court is absolutely correct (that the warrant has not been cleared by your payment direct to the court and sadly, as you had failed to pay the 'Compliance fee' (of £75), the enforcement fee of £235 is also valid. 

9 hours ago, Dan777 said:

They said the address on the warrant is irrelevant apparently, even tho it was wrong.

There is a slight problem with the courts response but sadly, it will not be of any help to you. 

Under the 2013, Taking Control of Goods Regulations, it specifically provides that a Notice of Enforcement should be sent to the debtor's 'usual' address. I note that you have claimed that you advised the court that you have moved. I'm not sure without reading the thread again whether or not the court accepted that you had notified them?

HOWEVER, this is actually irrelevant in your case given that in fact, you have not been disadvantaged with the Notice of Enforcement being sent to your previous address. This is because,  you have confirmed that not only did you receive the letter, but you then contacted the court the next day and despite the Notice of Enforcement providing precise instructions on how to make payment......you choice to ignore the instructions....and pay the court direct (minus the Compliance fee of £75). 

Many thanks , yes you are spot on. The very fact that I had received the first letter , even though it was a week later , I could have then quickly paid the outstanding £75 but didn't. Even if they eventually redirected it to another address the £235 would still be valid too...

What a nightmare. They CDER are earning some serious money for doing almost nothing.

Your comments much appreciated, so thanks. 🙂