Faulty Keyboard - Can I ask for a refund beyond 30days (eBuyer) on grounds of necessity for work

Kyosanto
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Bought new mechanical keyboard as old one broke
  • Noticed just after the 30 days that one of the keys on the numpad is faulty and won't register double presses. I work with code and numbers so this is big no-no, however the fault is localised enough that it took me this long to notice...
  • I want to get a refund and a straight replacement so I can continue working
  • Company (eBuyer - whom until now I have only had positive experiences with) doesn't want to send me a straight replacement but will attempt a repair that can take up to 28 days.
  • Obviously I need a keyboard in the meantime so I am forced to buy one (somewhere else now!)

So the problem I don't really want to buy 2 keyboards. I can use the old broken one for a couple of days at a stretch but not willing to do longer than that. 

I have found on Which (Sorry!) that apparently I can argue for a full refund if:

a repair or replacement will cause you significant inconvenience

...which seems logical as I need it from work (working from home). But it's not very well defined and there's no legal text to back it up, so the question is:

Is there anything I can tell eBuyer that will make them refund this keyboard so I can directly buy a replacement?

I already tried asking nicely - it didn't work

Thanks in advance!

Even if you were entitled to a replacement rather than a repair I can imagine that the amount of time arguing it with them will take far longer than simply allowing them to repair it.

however, what is the value of this thing?

Around £80.

Really like it if not for this fault. Good shout about it not being worth the sweat. Think I can borrow a keyboard from work for the duration of the repair, just annoyed me a little that I missed the deadline by only a few days and that they wouldn't budge, as I have spent 1000s of pounds on equipment with them over the years.

I sympathise with you – but am afraid that these box shifters are not into particularly good customer service. They sell so much stuff that a single customer is just a nuisance and they would be happier to lose you and to help you out with your keyboard.

I'm afraid the best thing to do is to send it for repair. I predict that it won't be repairable and they will have to replace it. It simply a shame that it's going to take so much time

If you are going to argue for a replacement device or a refund rather than their preferred option of a repair, I would not tell them that the problem is that you can't use it for work.

The bit you found in Which? is about your consumer rights.  If you tell the supplier it's preventing you from working they will probably say either that your employer should be providing you with kit to work from home or (if eg you are self-employed) that you have no consumer rights in respect of something you have bought to use for work.

Thanks Manxman that's a good tip, and I hadn't thought about it at all to be honest. Had I decided to make a fuss I would make sure to tell them it's for my hobbies 😄

The same keyboard is twice the price on amazon 😮 so I'm going to take it on the chin and just use a cheap replacement until they can repair this one.

I spilled a bottle of beer on my laptop in the new year.  It killed the keyboard but I had an old one I could plug in and use for a while.

Buy a cheap one for now and keep it as a spare after you get the faulty one replaced - or whatever.  You never know when a spare keyboard may come in useful.  Believe me.