University have instructed DCA to recover fees for a full semester when I attended for 2 weeks!

jimjarn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I enrolled in a course in 2017, which I began on or around 18th September 2017. Within 2 weeks I suffered a few personal issues and took an interruption to studies on October 11th, meaning I attended the university for around 3 weeks, if that.

I recently received a letter from a DCA saying that they intend to recover the monies for a full semester on behalf of the university.

Am I right in thinking that this is completely unreasonable? I attended for less than 15% of the semester before taking an interruption to studies and eventually withdrawing without returning.

I am aware that due to me attending I will owe some money, and I am happy to pay that on a pro-rata basis, meaning I'd pay £495 (15%) instead of the full £3300.

Is this a reasonable approach? I am unwilling to pay the full semester fee as that is completely unreasonable. Does any one have any experience with this? Should I contact the university, or deal with the DCA?

you ignore the dca they are not bailiffs and have zero legal powers on any debt no matter what it's type.

did you inform the uni in writing you were latterly fully withdrawing due to personal issues?

name names too please

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The DCA is STA International & University is Birmingham

I did inform them, and I have confirmation via email confirming my withdrawal from studies on the 11th October.

When I didn't return to studies I was permanently withdrawn, I have email confirmation of this, however they have written my withdrawal date as 1st of November for some reason...

Edited by jimjarn

Did you take out any student finance for the course fees ?

if so, what did the University receive from student finance ?

What were the terms and conditions related to the course you signed up to ?   There should be a section related to liabiliity for course fees, where you withdraw from studies early.

If you don't have a copy of the terms and conditions for the course you partly attended, you could ask the University for a copy.

As stated, you should only contact the University about this matter.  If you suffered from a health issue or other serious issue, the University may have discretion to negotiate the amount of debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just to add, if the University actually acquiesced and withdrew you from the course on 1 November, then it could be said that they have accepted your breach of contract.

An attempt to levy an entire semester of fees in the face of a breach of contract could amount to an extortionate penalty. In principle they should only be entitled to recover their administrative losses and they would have to account for these.

I would suggest that you raise this point at the moment – but let's see how heavy it all gets.

@unclebulgaria67 This was a self-funded postgrad degree, according to the terms and conditions I am liable for 25% (£2475) of the fees.

@BankFodder Sorry I didn't clarify the years of my interruption to studies. I was granted an interruption in October 2017 until October 2018, then granted another year extension of interruption to the following academic year, bringing my total interruption to 2 years.

In their terms and conditions this is only offered in the most exceptional of circumstances. I was unable to return in 2019, and was permanently withdrawn on Nov 1st 2019.

I am not too sure how to implement what you've said into my complaint, but how exactly did they breach their contract in your opinion? Thank you.

You misunderstand me. It is your breach which can only be addressed by recovery of administrative losses. Not their breach.

However, I'm fully aware that I jumped into this discussion without really knowing everything.

All I'm saying is that if a breach of contract by you could be identified – particularly in fact that the contract was then terminated by them, they would only be able to recover administrative losses.

you can most certainly totally ignore STA just a bunch of powerless fleecers..

read this and suitably understand what to do

Uni Chasing Money- Debt collection STA international - Page 2 - Students - Consumer Action Group

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

:rockon:

and they