• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Boris Johnson, former Prime Minister

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Michael Gove pushed forward firm co-owned by Conservative donor

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

More Brexit fallout?

We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

and back to TTIP/CPTPP

"peers also warn that joining CPTPP will make it !!! harder for the UK to set its own regulations !!! in the future, in contrast with government claims.

And they took evidence suggesting it could make it harder to "justify bans of certain products and measures based on the precautionary principle for agriculture and food standards".

"we received evidence of a potential conflict between Article 18.53 and the UK’s current system of market authorisation of generic and biosimilar drugs.

""We find that two CPTPP provisions on intellectual property are particularly problematic, raising the possibility of significant economic damage to the UK’s patent industry, and higher prices paid by the NHS for generic medicines and biosimilars."

They add: "While the Negotiating Objectives make clear that the Government will ensure that the terms of UK accession are consistent with the UK’s IP interests, and the price the NHS pays for medicines are not on the table, we have not yet been given an indication of how this could be achieved."

What price sovereignty and making our own laws? Not much it seems:

"the cross-party House of Lords International Agreement Committee found that there were "limited" economic benefits from joining CPTPP."

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Trans-pacific partnership (CPTPP) has limited economic benefits but ministers are desperate for a win

The Tory Legacy

That seems to me to be one of the main things Brexiteers have been ignoring about trade. It's not just the EU that wants exporters to abide by their rules, other countries and trade pacts do as well. What's the point of setting your own rules or standards when you can't export by them?

Plus, the trade deals the UK has signed that haven't been copied and pasted from ones we had via the EU seem weighted against the UK and pretty favourable to the other countries.

• I agree 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I see sleazeball liar Johnson is still trying to water down any anti corruption moves - even below the existing rules that Paterson broke.

The only real option is to ban ALL second jobs for MP's - all of them and BAN any 'lobbying' perhaps except on the Parliamentary floor in front of the whole house and the public

I understand that a very small handful are doing real worthy work alongside their parliamentary and constituency duties, but that small handful is what the corrupt bas***ds are using as leverage to enable their corruption.

The only real option is that there should be NO second jobs for MPs

Limit hours? - They will just claim less hours at the same reward

Limit lobbying? - thats already supposed to be happening - it isnt working

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Quote of the day:

Going further than a (easily bypassed) ban on paid consultancy work could “deter a whole class of people” from entering politics.

Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, treasurer of 1922 Committee

Like Paterson ... That would be the intent and a positive result IMO

Wonder if Paterson will still have his £100K fees from those companies now he isnt an MP progressing their interests?

- Mind you, he will still have a pass to Parliament enabling him to go see who he pleases wont he? - That must be stopped too.

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Only those who want/are being paid/whos interests will be served by going in and 'influencing' MP's for some reason HB

I should imagine most 'ordinary' ex MP's have little interest in doing so - and could apply for a (documented reason) day pass if the need arose

Basic security should require it if nothing else ...

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

mind you, Paterson might feel the need to use the subsidised canteen in his 'reduced circumstances'

- they should treat him like the kids he voted to go hungry

• I agree 1

The Tory Legacy

This gives more info on the issues and intent of Brexit if read carefully

Its all about proper documentation of the source and accreditation of stuff going in food

... aka made in Britain with Turkish or Australian high hormone and low welfare 'contains meat' ingredients

No1:

"the Commons International Trade Committee, heard suggestions that UK exporters might resort to two different production lines – to satisfy EU rules and laxer requirements for other markets." "The practice is followed by Australian farmers, to separate beef for EU export – which must be hormone-free – from sales to other countries without a ban."

So heres where UK Food industry starts making better stuff for export to the EU, but like Australia (and as required by the grate deal Truss has negotiated) - no such rules here - we'll be getting stuff from the reject lane

No2

"Exporters have already protested at huge new costs and barriers since the trade deal came into force last January, swiping £17bn from EU trade in just three months."

No3

"the Office for Budget Responsibility said GDP would fall by 4 per cent, taking £80bn out of the UK economy each year."

No4

"Ministers were also forced to concede that Brexit was a key cause behind the autumn food and fuel shortages – which have put Christmas deliveries at risk."

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

New EU food safety regulation – coming into force next March – is ‘concerning’ exporters, MPs told

The Tory Legacy

They don't make ministers like they used to.

I don't disagree with the point of the message but I don't think it's a good look for the health secretary to be replying like this on Twitter. He could have explained why it's a good thing to have a different booster to your previous vaccines.

Yesterday people on Twitter were quoting Nadine Dorries berating Laura Kuenssberg which also isn't a good look. I think the tweet may have been deleted because I can't find it atm. Also not a good look.

WWW.INDY100.COM

Sajid Javid has told a man to “show some respect for the NHS” after he questioned why his booster jab was from a different manufacturer from his...

Shown Here HB

WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

The Tory Culture Secretary, whose Cabinet brief includes the BBC, later deleted the tweet as critics accused her of trying to police the...

VOXPOLITICALONLINE.COM

How revealing that the Culture Secretary should try to censor the BBC Political Editor’s reporting of a Conservative Party meeting – and then...

• Thanks 1

The Tory Legacy

As following reports of (underestimated IMO given £17B hit to EU trade alone in just the first 3 months) Brexit £80B a year hit to UK GDP, Inflation hits a 10 year high really kicking Stagflation (Double whammy of Stagnation _ Inflation) into high gear

"Inflation in Britain rose to its highest level in nearly a decade in October after soaring energy prices hit household bills.

The Consumer Price Index rose 4.2 percent from a year earlier, the highest since November 2011, and up from 3.1 percent in September, the Office for National Statistics said on Wednesday."

Mortgages will be hit soon, with all the repossessions no doubt snapped up by the rich, and Johnson will no doubt twistedly claim that a reduced housing market is 'a benefit of his policies'

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Prices rose 4.2 percent last month from a year earlier, more than double the Bank of England’s target.

The Tory Legacy

1 hour ago, honeybee13 said:

They don't make ministers like they used to.

I don't disagree with the point of the message but I don't think it's a good look for the health secretary to be replying like this on Twitter. He could have explained why it's a good thing to have a different booster to your previous vaccines.

Too right, I'm looking forward to my pfiser booster (after 2 AZ) in 2 weeks time - really was a crap response from Javid,

Perhaps he didn't want to put a right wing supported of Johnson/Trump type corrupt populist governments down perhaps?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Oh - and re pfiser vs moderna?

I'd have either.

Any differences seem to be more in line with the different periods/amounts than actual effectiveness IMO

.. and either seems to be better as a booster or a main jab than O/AZ IMO

I'm a fan of the mix/match approach: Get whatever (approved) vaccine you can into arms as quickly as possible, then follow up at appropriate times with a different one if possible (despite the official '2 of the same recommendations)

I'm also (broadly) a fan of the less vaccine per dose  if it means into more people/more times over time approach

(moderna give larger doses I understand)

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

It's been a bad couple of days for the Home Sec.

First France disputed the Home Office version of the meeting with Gerald Darmanin and now Albania has said it doesn't want to process immigrants despite the announcement to the contrary.

Haven't they already announced another country that said it had no intention of helping? I can't remember which now.

See Governments latest rail plans are not what they promised North of England voters at the last election.

Not sure why Government were planning on spending such a huge amount on fast trains,.   How many people would pay much higher fares for a train that gets them to a destination say 20 minutes quicker ?  And with increase in working from home, there will be fewer users.  Part of the experience of a train journey is to relax, while looking out of the window or while reading a book.  So cutting journey times may not be as attractive to many railusers as Government believes.   Better to increase quality and availability of services.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

@honeybee13 

Brexit going well and keeping Brexiteers happy on migration :)

The numbers crossing the channel only appear to be restricted by the weather.

And UK Government are not being helped by being Independent, as other countries probably now say, it is up to the UK as an independent sovereign country to resolve their own problems !

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

2 hours ago, unclebulgaria67 said:

See Governments latest rail plans are not what they promised North of England voters at the last election.

Not sure why Government were planning on spending such a huge amount on fast trains,.   How many people would pay much higher fares for a train that gets them to a destination say 20 minutes quicker ?  And with increase in working from home, there will be fewer users.  Part of the experience of a train journey is to relax, while looking out of the window or while reading a book.  So cutting journey times may not be as attractive to many railusers as Government believes.   Better to increase quality and availability of services.

Surely it was all just intended to enable, excuse and confuse issues with the fast rail link into London - and why immense sums were spent on that part. I dont believe there was ever any real intent for the rest other than some nominal expenditure to side/upgrade existing kit to some Tory pal companies benefit

.. doing some nondescript assessments, at at vast cost, which could say anything as it would never be put to the test

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Andrew Marr to leave BBC 'to get his own voice back'

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Presenter says he is ‘keen to get my own voice back’ and will focus on writing and presenting for Global

The Tory Legacy